Sponsored

Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though....

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Hello owners, writing because I need some input. Yesterday was the second time I was supposed to call my salesman and give a deposit for a JLURD, but got cold feet. Two nights ago I was up till 1am here on the forums reading horror stories of this engine. Guys with 4-8K miles and it's already been in the shop for 30-60 days cause of some issue, most likely having to do with emissions.(?) My first Jeep was a new 08 JKUR and I loved it. I've three since then, always selling cause I make the wrong decision to buy and they're just not great daily drivers when your commute is almost 60 miles a day.
So my question is this: Understanding this crowd is going to be a bit biased, are my concerns valid? Or are these issues few and far between? I've heard the 3.0 is a great engine if you do longer trips with it (like my commute) as it has time to regen, and that these guys having these horrible experiences are likely using them in town more than on the highway. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't have me nervous. No one wants to drop $60K and then have to visit the service department 10x a year. I, like many, have always said I'd buy a diesel Wrangler if they ever put one out, and with the mileage figures I'm seeing, I feel like I can justify the buy. What is your opinion? My commute is 27-30 miles one way, 80% of that is highway use. Then using it off road on the weekends.
Sponsored

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
My current commute one way is under 10 miles of mixed driving. Still opted for the Diesel :rock: . I know there are some people who drive a little more or less and have had no issues, I'm sure they'll chime in. Every vehicle I've purchased in the past had horror stories on the forums for various issues, I had never encountered any of them during my ownership however :knock on wood:

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
Problems are always more vocal than not. Just look at the news....all you see is bad stuff.

The few that post up issues, while may be rare in reality, leave the biggest impressions. What you don't see are all the people with no issues. How many owners are not part of the digital world? How many people search out those few issues and find answers they're looking for on the forums...and therefore add to those issues by posing up their own situations.

I bought my JLURD a month ago. I live in Alaska, flew down to Seattle, picked it up and drove it to Colorado to a friends house to build it up. In a week or two, I'm heading back to Alaska with it in all it's glory. While I'm aware of some of the issues out there, I am not concerned. I've dropped a crap load of money into this thing and I haven't even made the first payment. I'm committed no matter.

Get what you want. Don't worry. In my opinion, you've got more of a chance to win the lottery than to be one of the few that have problems that require feeding the social monster.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though.... tempImageboI821

Jeep Wrangler JL Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though.... tempImageNA3nD

WVrubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased mine Jan 19th, I already have over 7100 miles on it. Commuted a lot, both in WV and MD. Now I am staying in DC part-time also and daily pat myself on the back for this purchase. I love the torque with the 3.0L, I drove it for about 20 minutes and knew it was right. BEST investment I ever made (other than my dog).

Having said that, there are always lemons, you could just as easily end up with a 3.6L with "gremlins".

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Remember negative feedback is WAY louder than positive. Think of how many Wranglers are on the road and how small this community is compared to that number. This group is a tiny sample of enthusiasts who share positive and negative. 90% of owners live their life without issues but you don’t hear from them. If you happen to have issues, then it has a warranty and you’ll be fine. Issues are incredibly rare though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I hear you guys. People with issues are more likely to voice about them here. No one gets on and starts a thread about how nice the engine sounded today. :) I was over at the 2.0L forum (for comparison of just that...people who are having issues), and there are complaints there as well. Noted.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Spe
I hear you guys. People with issues are more likely to voice about them here. No one gets on and starts a thread about how nice the engine sounded today. :) I was over at the 2.0L forum (for comparison of just that...people who are having issues), and there are complaints there as well. Noted.
Speaking of which, I just took delivery of my ‘21 JLR manual with the 3.6 and I’m actually really surprised how good the exhaust note is in lower gears. It’s actually sounds throaty. I’m not kidding. I love it.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know you are shopping for the Diesel, but since you mentioned 2.0t, I've driven my 2020 for 8000 miles so far, no issues other than the choice to pursue the updated steering gearbox. Getting excellent gas mileage on 315's, relatively speaking.

WVrubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of which, I just took delivery of my ‘21 JLR manual with the 3.6 and I’m actually really surprised how good the exhaust note is in lower gears. It’s actually sounds throaty. I’m not kidding. I love it.
That is a consideration with the diesel... The availability of parts just isn't there yet. The lift has to be Mopar (only one I found for that specific vehicle) and there are not exhaust options (that I have found, please tell me if anyone has).

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
That is a consideration with the diesel... The availability of parts just isn't there yet. The lift has to be Mopar (only one I found for that specific vehicle) and there are not exhaust options (that I have found, please tell me if anyone has).
You’re not going to find exhaust options for the diesel in today’s epa environment unfortunately. If you do, and they’re legal, they won’t change the sound much if at all

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I've three since then, always selling cause I make the wrong decision to buy and they're just not great daily drivers when your commute is almost 60 miles a day.
When I read this sentence, I have a bad feeling that you are going to sell the diesel in the short term. Based on your situation, I would buy a diesel engine as well. It sounds like you would really benefit the most from your long commute compared to others with short 10-20 miles commutes. Although the diesel Wrangler would be great for your commute, it is still a Wrangler. It is still a vehicle that is not purposely designed and built to be driven daily. Obviously, you can do whatever you want with your own vehicle; I'm just saying.

The EcoDiesel is the third generation, so in theory, it should be more bulletproof than ever. But I also have read the horror stories of the 3rd gen diesel and it having so many problems already. It is a FCA product, there is no Toyota reliability here. But I personally wouldn't be discouraged in not getting a Wrangler with a diesel; based on the few mishaps. I'm sure you already aware of the upfront cost and higher maintenance cost that a diesel will bring. With the base warranty, it will give you some added relief for a short period of time. But unfortunately, no one knows how long the 3rd EcoDiesel is going to last.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Before the pandemic, I drove a beater to put the miles on it and saved the Jeep for the amazing top-down weather days.
Now my JLUR is two years old with about 15k on the odometer.
I bet the vast majority of 3.0 Jeeps perform as intended, but man I wouldn’t want one of those lemons for sure.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I was going to get the 3.0 but wanted to wait a little as the first two generations were problematic. During that wait the 392 became available and I jumped on that. If I had not ordered the 392, I would not have gotten a 2.0. My reasoning there have been some of the gen3 3.0's with major issues and really low miles, and this engine doesn't have the best track record. Not saying that in the long term this couldn't be a great engine. To me it wouldn't be worth the gamble with it's track record and the issues that are happening since they seam to be catastrophic. For the price I want an engine that I will feel comfortable owning after the warranty. Given the available options If I had gone another route I would have chosen then the 2.0. Reason being I will be getting an auto and don't want ESS so the 3.6 would be out, the 3.0 would have me constantly worried about long term leaving the 2.0 as the best option to me. Make sure to drive all three models and most importantly make sure you are confident with your decision. If it ends up being the 3.0 great, just don't put your self in a position where you end up second guessing your self.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have the JLURD and love it. The jeep has over 17k carefree miles on it. I just put 315's cooper sst and the engine doesn't even notice it. I did drop a couple mpg with the bigger tires but still love it. I was up near Joshua Tree National Park on some easy but extremely rock trails. 60 miles on the trail and only used 3 gallons of diesel. Where the other jeeps had to use more gas, more throttle, the diesel just crawled right up. I drive over 100 miles a day and still average over 23 mpg with the MT. I only wish that the jeep had the front facing camera.
Sponsored