Sponsored

Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though....

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I bought my JLURD a month ago. I live in Alaska, flew down to Seattle, picked it up and drove it to Colorado to a friends house to build it up. In a week or two, I'm heading back to Alaska with it in all it's glory.

tempImageboI821.jpg

tempImageNA3nDj.jpg
Such an inconsiderate answer. Absolutely no info regarding wheels, tires or lift. šŸ˜ Nice pics tho....
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Depending upon availability of charging stations on each end of your commute, you might prefer the 4xe over the diesel. More torque and at lower RPM. Most of my trips are short and local so the diesel wasn't a good option for me.

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Find me ONE EcoDiesel owner on this forum that bought the diesel based on the economics of the fuel efficiency.

It is all about the TORQUE. Hell...I'd love this engine if it got worse mileage than the gassers.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Find me ONE EcoDiesel owner on this forum that bought the diesel based on the economics of the fuel efficiency.

It is all about the TORQUE. Hell...I'd love this engine if it got worse mileage than the gassers.
I doubt youā€™ll find one who used fuel savings as exclusive criteria because all vehicle purchases of this type have more variables involved, but you can count me among those who took it into account. Diesel is cheaper than 87 where I live, which combined with the extra MPGā€™s and accounting for DEF/oil/filter/engine/trans costs, saves me money after 70k miles. Iā€™d have bought the diesel even if it cost me more in the long run because it suits my uses better than the 2.0/3.6/392 but fortunately I get to have the cake and eat it too.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Iā€™m over here from the JT side but Iā€™ve got almost the same setup. Granted Iā€™ve owned the Jeep for 4 days now but itā€™s incredible. Delicious torque always on tap. Amazing mileage considering Iā€™m going out of my way to break it in (on closed courses) ha

94CA674D-E088-4DDD-8C54-5E55EE7FA8F1.jpeg

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
fuel efficiency was absolutely a factor for me. not that i don't love the ample torque, but most because of the range.

160 mile loops in the dirt on my previous J**p could be a stretch without having to consider carrying extra fuel, but is a non-issue with the turbo-diesel.

Jlonz 3.0l

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 2007 Jeep Liberty, 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Electronic Tech

The biggest reason I bought my EcoDiesel was the fuel efficiency. I picked it up June 26,2020 and now have 47,100 miles on it. Have had no problems. My previous ride was a 2015 Jeep Renegade, I would get 26 to 28 mpg with it on my 260 mile daily commute. With the Eco Diesel Wrangler getting 32mpg when it is colder weather and 36 mpg during summer months, I have been able to save money every month on fuel cost. I did trade the Renegade in on the Wrangler. It had 300,000 miles on it with no problems. Case in point another vehicle that gets bad reputation for reliability.

Outback101

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Diesel, 2015 JKU Gasser, 2022 JKU Diesel
Hello owners, writing because I need some input. Yesterday was the second time I was supposed to call my salesman and give a deposit for a JLURD, but got cold feet. Two nights ago I was up till 1am here on the forums reading horror stories of this engine. Guys with 4-8K miles and it's already been in the shop for 30-60 days cause of some issue, most likely having to do with emissions.(?) My first Jeep was a new 08 JKUR and I loved it. I've three since then, always selling cause I make the wrong decision to buy and they're just not great daily drivers when your commute is almost 60 miles a day.
So my question is this: Understanding this crowd is going to be a bit biased, are my concerns valid? Or are these issues few and far between? I've heard the 3.0 is a great engine if you do longer trips with it (like my commute) as it has time to regen, and that these guys having these horrible experiences are likely using them in town more than on the highway. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't have me nervous. No one wants to drop $60K and then have to visit the service department 10x a year. I, like many, have always said I'd buy a diesel Wrangler if they ever put one out, and with the mileage figures I'm seeing, I feel like I can justify the buy. What is your opinion? My commute is 27-30 miles one way, 80% of that is highway use. Then using it off road on the weekends.

Sponsored

Outback101

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Diesel, 2015 JKU Gasser, 2022 JKU Diesel
My work commute is 35 miles one way with about 10 minutes of in town and the rest highway. Love driving this one. My 2015 JKU averaged 16-17 mpg doing this for years. I'm averaging a solid 27 and usually 27+. Off road in 4Lo its is a beast. 4Hi is great and you'll find you probably need 4Lo less often. The torque is there and it climbs without a bunch of revs. 2000 miles so far with 0 issues and all smiles.

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
All that have experienced no problems to date and even those that have had issues....
  1. Do you let it warm up - how long
  2. Do you do your own oil changes or take to dealer/3rd party - what is frequency
  3. Do you let it cool down - how long
  4. Do you keep diesel above 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 tank to help CP4

I'm asking because through various and numerous posts about the 3.0 I have seen all the above mentioned. Diesels are different, turbos are different and we have both. Was just curious what the preferred or right way to prolong and treat the engine/turbo/fuel system working right

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
All that have experienced no problems to date and even those that have had issues....
  1. Do you let it warm up - how long
  2. Do you do your own oil changes or take to dealer/3rd party - what is frequency
  3. Do you let it cool down - how long
  4. Do you keep diesel above 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 tank to help CP4

I'm asking because through various and numerous posts about the 3.0 I have seen all the above mentioned. Diesels are different, turbos are different and we have both. Was just curious what the preferred or right way to prolong and treat the engine/turbo/fuel system working right
No problems yet for me. 15K miles.

I don't warm up the engine. I drive modesty until it's warm.
I do my own oil changes.
I don't idle to cool it down most of the time.
I usually fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 tank on the gauge.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
No problems yet for me. 15K miles.

I don't warm up the engine. I drive modesty until it's warm.
I do my own oil changes.
I don't idle to cool it down most of the time.
I usually fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 tank on the gauge.
I do exactly what he does. I suspect that most (almost all) of us do.

Shift Happens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
nearly 20k miles on my 2021(I think I got mine late may), only problems are the belt squeaks, and the castle nuts on the ball joints are clicking. Minor problems, easily repairable.

I don't warm up the engine.
I don't do my own oil changes yet. I do an inspection after an oil change at the dealer.
I usually fill up after the low fuel light comes on, or very close.
Sponsored