gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
One more oddity: I clear the codes and they come back right away. However, the check engine light does not light up since the 2nd time I cleared codes (I've cleared them about 5 times now).

I guess that points more to a communication issue with the CAN Bus rather than weak batteries, right?

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the green block on ebay and waiting for a decent day to replace it. In the meantime, we've observed an interesting pattern that, to me, seems to point more & more to the green block behind the glove box. When we use the floor heat, we get the Christmas lights effect. Using dash-only heat, we don't.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What about the batteries? Did you already replace them?

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about the batteries? Did you already replace them?
No. It starts no problem. And I'm replacing the cheap things 1st. :) I got 2 new green blocks for $13 on ebay.

EDIT: not sure if batteries are original. I've only owned it for 4-5 months.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries should be load tested individually.

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replaced the green block today. Fairly simple to do. Took maybe 10 minutes. Hopefully the Christmas tree effect is gone. Been getting it at least once every few days, so I should know by the end of the week if this resolved the issue.

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've put over 500 miles on the Jeep since replacing the green block. So far, so good.

Here's a pic of what I bought (no link since I'm not sure if this forum allows links to non-sponsors).

Jeep Wrangler JL Lots of DTCs 1679849906691

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Was there any noticeable damage to the old part? Just so curious about a failure there.

G.

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was there any noticeable damage to the old part? Just so curious about a failure there.

G.
No damage that I could see. I might open the old one soon to see. I am waiting a couple weeks just to make sure the new one solved my issue.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Mine turned out to be the CANbus star network behind the glove box. All were related to communications, bad messages and such.
The fix - remove, check, clean, etc. each connector in that array of connections.

May NOT be the batteries at all - if it's a communications issue, they may be fine. Check voltage - you don't even need a load test most of the time. Batteries is the battle cry but honestly, communications issues are rarely batteries. Often the fix is between glove box and firewall. That's where things plug into the network.

One of several screen shots - long list of errors ->

How do you get each little connector out? I had to run a wire over to the ODB port, decided I didn’t like the spot I’d chosen, but couldn’t get it back out.

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you get each little connector out? I had to run a wire over to the ODB port, decided I didn’t like the spot I’d chosen, but couldn’t get it back out.
There's a locking tab on one side. I used a pick to push in the tab while gently pushing upward.

OP
OP
gahammerle

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No damage that I could see. I might open the old one soon to see. I am waiting a couple weeks just to make sure the new one solved my issue.
So far so good. No issues since replacing this part - over 1000 miles now. :)

I did open up the old one and used my phone camera to zoom in 8x. I couldn't really see any damage on the bottom side of the circuit board, so I either need a more powerful zoom or the damage is on the top side of the circuit board.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So far so good. No issues since replacing this part - over 1000 miles now. :)

I did open up the old one and used my phone camera to zoom in 8x. I couldn't really see any damage on the bottom side of the circuit board, so I either need a more powerful zoom or the damage is on the top side of the circuit board.
You can separate the layers and push the pins out of the plastic. The last one I had to replace was very clearly burned.

Missouri farm girl

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl unlimited sport
We've put over 500 miles on the Jeep since replacing the green block. So far, so good.

Here's a pic of what I bought (no link since I'm not sure if this forum allows links to non-sponsors).

Can you tell me exactly what you did when you replaced the connector? Unsnap and snap back in, plug and play? :)
Sponsored