Sponsored

Loss of power, electronic throttle and stability control light

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
We continue to have problems with the vehicle since we made the purchase January of 2019. We have had it in for check engine lights now three times since May 11th, the check engine light has cycled on and off since early February.

5/11/19
First visit I had the oil changed and check engine light checked, they cleared the crankshaft position sensor code. It was a weekend and the mechanic that could inspect this was not in, so if the light came on we would need to bring it back.

5/17/19
Check engine light came back on, brought the car back in and they performed a flash update.

Shortly after this the light would come back on then go off after a day or two.

Over the 4th of July weekend my wife was driving the car and once she had been on the open highway for 30+ miles she witnessed a loss of power, one time having to pull over put the car in park and then putting it back in drive. I drove it and found the same thing and the stability control light came on and then turned off.

7/11/19

Brought the car in and the issue could not be duplicated, Customer Service Rep suggested letting the technician drive the car home (about 14 miles) to see if he could get the alarm to happen. From experience it will not happen that quickly, around town we do not see the issue. I suggested getting on the highway and driving, CSR stated that could not be done. I picked the car up and starting documenting as things happen.

Picked the car up with 6,478 miles on it, no alarm present
6,515 alarm came on, no apparent issue.
6528 alarm cleared out on next start up
6,569 alarm came on, no apparent issue
6,579 alarm cleared out on next start up

7/14/19

Sunday morning (8:30-10:30) we drove about 100 miles on the highway no issues

Sunday afternoon (2:30) we got back on the highway, after about 40 miles of open road driving (50-70MPH) the car lost power. This was at 6,726 miles I had to pull over put the car back in park and then back in drive. The D on the dashboard was blinking, it did this each time it lost power. The warning lights were changing rapidly, but I believe it said electronic throttle malfunction. Put car in park and then select gear.

At mileage 6,760 we were on a major highway in the right lane going 70MPH, lost power had to pull over. I put the car in park and then tried to shift back to drive. It would no come out of park, pushed the button to turn the car off and all sorts of lights were flashing rapidly. When I tried to start it the warning lights stated it was not in park. I could not shift at all, and all the letters on the gear shifter were all orange (PRND). We waited about five minutes and the car started and we headed on again. One of the warning lights that flashed was the electronic throttle warning. The stability control light also came one. These came on a couple times the rest of the trip.

6,768, same situation on the highway, died and I was able to turn on and keep moving.

6,776, we had gotten off the highway and the car died as I attempted to make a right from a stoplight. Pulled over put in park and started the car.

6,813, this time we were going up a hill at 50 mph the car lost power but I was able to just lift my foot off the accelerator wait a couple of seconds and then slight press the accelerator and we kept going.

6,817 car in the garage, engine light still on.

The times when this has happened is in the heat of the day on the highway. It does not happen in the first 30-40 miles, so we need to find a way to have you test it in these conditions. I also noticed if you could keep the RPM below 2,000 that helped as well, but that might have been just dumb luck. When it died on the right turn from a stop I babied it the whole way home, only issue was going up the hill at 50MPH when it might have cross the 2,000 rpm mark.

7/16/19

I drove the car to my office, about 40 miles. I tried to maintain an RPM level below 2,000 and to not exceed 45 MPH as I drove in. I had no issues and pulled into a gas station, after filling up I experienced the issue again.

Started the car, could not shift out of gear and the same alarms popped up. Electronic Thrust Control and stability alarm, the engine light had been on previously and remained on. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes, started the car and then was able to shift out of park. I little red light came on the dash (under the 2H-4H selection).

Dealer has had the car since the 16th of July, it will be two full weeks tomorrow. They were able to replicate the issue, but as of Saturday have not found the source. The service manager has done a very good job of communicating, but unfortunately have not pin pointed the issue.
Sponsored

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Any updates on your jeep?
My jlur started doing the same thing...

I took it in after it happened 4 times (once at an intersection, once driving less than 35 and twice on the highway in the fast lane)
They had it for days, couldn't find anything then did a software update.
Needless to say, it happened again after a few weeks.
I'm taking it back in tomorrow.
There really isn't much talk of this issue on the internet from what I can tell.
Terribly unsafe and scary!

OP
OP
FrustratedWranglerowner
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Have them look for a service bulletin regarding a loose ground wire behind the headlight (passenger side I believe).

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Well I printed off a list of all the things I read could have solved this issue and gave it to the dealer. Including then aforementioned ground issue.

They have been unable to find anything so far and are now driving my jeep home to the service managers house overnight with voltage recorders hooked up to the jeep hoping they will see something. The trouble is, it sometimes takes weeks to happen again....
So this isn't encouraging at all.....

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well I printed off a list of all the things I read could have solved this issue and gave it to the dealer. Including then aforementioned ground issue.

They have been unable to find anything so far and are now driving my jeep home to the service managers house overnight with voltage recorders hooked up to the jeep hoping they will see something. The trouble is, it sometimes takes weeks to happen again....
So this isn't encouraging at all.....
Hi Alex,
We certainly understand your frustration. Has a case been opened on the Customer Care side to add assistance while working with your dealer? If not, please send our team a private message. We'd be happy to get this process started for you.
Alex
Jeep Cares

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Hi Alex,
We certainly understand your frustration. Has a case been opened on the Customer Care side to add assistance while working with your dealer? If not, please send our team a private message. We'd be happy to get this process started for you.
Alex
Jeep Cares

I am not sure if a case has been opened, how can I tell?
Also, how do I pm you guys?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Alex,
A case would have been opened if you contacted customer care via phone or email. If you would like to PM us, just click on our avatar then click the "Send a Private Message" button.
Alex
Jeep Cares

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Hi Alex,
A case would have been opened if you contacted customer care via phone or email. If you would like to PM us, just click on our avatar then click the "Send a Private Message" button.
Alex
Jeep Cares
I have a case now. 64879533

My dealer said they want to replace the PCM. However the part is on backorder. To expedite it I had to call "chrysler cares"
Somehow that got the ball rolling.
It's very disappointing that I had to go through this on a brand new vehicle, but what's more troublesome is that jeep has an issue and knows it but won't do anything about it yet.
I was told that I could come get the vehicle until the part comes in. My question is, who then is liable when my defective jeep stalls on the highway and kills someone?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My question is, who then is liable when my defective jeep stalls on the highway and kills someone?
EDIT: My dad’s Ford Explorer shut down on the freeway twice, among other things. He lemon law’d it. When I heard about it I was shocked, I never heard of such a thing happening and it just frightened me. It’s a scary thing to have happen and I’m sorry you have to go through this.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a case now. 64879533

My dealer said they want to replace the PCM. However the part is on backorder. To expedite it I had to call "chrysler cares"
Somehow that got the ball rolling.
It's very disappointing that I had to go through this on a brand new vehicle, but what's more troublesome is that jeep has an issue and knows it but won't do anything about it yet.
I was told that I could come get the vehicle until the part comes in. My question is, who then is liable when my defective jeep stalls on the highway and kills someone?
Hi Alex,
I have located your case in our corporate system and see that it was escalated yesterday. Please keep in mind that it may take up to two business days for your case manager to contact you. I want to assure you that your case is with the proper team to assist you.
Alex
Jeep Cares

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Hi Alex,
I have located your case in our corporate system and see that it was escalated yesterday. Please keep in mind that it may take up to two business days for your case manager to contact you. I want to assure you that your case is with the proper team to assist you.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Thanks for the reply. They originally told me 24 hours, but I called back today and they said up to 2 days.
I am very ready to get my jeep back. Despite the issue Iove my JLUR.

At this point I just want to know how much longer before the part comes in, and if that part is redesigned with a new regulator so that it doesn't have the same issue.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Hi Alex,
Alex
Jeep Cares
So, it's been more than 2 days and they haven't contacted me.
I have called a few times and they can't tell me anything. But they always say they will call me email me back....
Anyway, can you see what is going on?
I'd love to know when the part will be in so I can get my jeep back.
This has been a ridiculous experience so far. Far from what I expected after paying so much for a new vehicle that I ordered straight from the factory.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So, it's been more than 2 days and they haven't contacted me.
I have called a few times and they can't tell me anything. But they always say they will call me email me back....
Anyway, can you see what is going on?
I'd love to know when the part will be in so I can get my jeep back.
This has been a ridiculous experience so far. Far from what I expected after paying so much for a new vehicle that I ordered straight from the factory.
Hi Alex,
Your case manager is currently reviewing your case. I have reached out to your case manager and requested they reach out to you as soon as they can. If you do not hear from someone by Monday, please send us a private message.
Alex
JeepCares

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Thanks. He just called and said the part has arrived at the dealership.
This is great news, it shouldn't take long to install it now. Hopefully I can have my jeep back by the weekend.
Now I have to cross my fingers that this part isn't defective after 8500 miles like the old one....
Sponsored

Last edited: