Sponsored

Loss of power, electronic throttle and stability control light

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks. He jsit called and said the part has arrived at the dealership.
This is great news, it shouldn't take long to install it now. Hopefully I can have my jeep back by the weekend.
Now I have to cross my fingers that this part isn't defective after 8500 miles like the old one....
Happy to hear that, Alex. Please let us know if you need any assistance in the future.
Alex
JeepCares
Sponsored

OP
OP
FrustratedWranglerowner
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Is your car ok now?
Still ongoing, but the loose ground wire did help. They had another one come in on the same day with the same issue, they found the same loose ground wire. They looked at the PCM at one point, but that did not correct it.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Still ongoing, but the loose ground wire did help. They had another one come in on the same day with the same issue, they found the same loose ground wire. They looked at the PCM at one point, but that did not correct it.
did this ever get fixed? I have this issue also.

OP
OP
FrustratedWranglerowner
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
It did not occur once the found the loose ground wire, they then had to update the PCM that was replaced.

JeepJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Hi, I'm having the same issue on a brand new rubicon. I'm scheduled to go into the dealer on Monday. So your advice is that there is a loose ground wire behind the passenger side headlight. Is it also that they have to replace the PCM?

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I read that the gas pedal sensor was the issue. The whole gas pedal needed to be replaced ass the sensor was built in.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Hi, I'm having the same issue on a brand new rubicon. I'm scheduled to go into the dealer on Monday. So your advice is that there is a loose ground wire behind the passenger side headlight. Is it also that they have to replace the PCM?
Mine is still working well. I have doubled the milage since the issue and so far the new PCM is working.

The dealer had to hook a voltage recorder up to mine to see that the PCM was faulty and gave intermittent low voltages. Once they proved that they replaced it (it was back ordered and took forever) and it's been good.

I will tell you that you need to call Chrysler cares (Google it for the number) and open a case. They will get sh*t done if you pester them and they can expedite parts. They also troll this forum and can give answers if you have already called opened a the case.

Good luck. Nothing sucks more than a $55k lemon

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Hydro Blue Willys 4dr
Hi all.
We have a 2020 2dr wrangler willy's. SAME electronic throttle and stability control issue has been going on for 2 months now. The vehicle has only about 3500 miles on it and is 6 months old. Up until last night, it was mainly on local roads at relatively low speed with mild traffic. Last night was highway speed in moderate traffic. That is extremely daunting. It first occurred in January, dealership ordered and replaced a new accelerator pedal. Two weeks later it happened again while stopped and restarted after getting gas. Said they tightened some screws or something. Made it a month this time before it happened again. We also now have a cable that came loose from the driver's seat. I've detailed below. We are waiting to hear back from the dealership to get it in there and have all of these things fixed FOR GOOD!

Saturday, January 9, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2554

At approximately 10am the first occurrence of this mechanical problem was experienced in non-highway traffic. Upon releasing the brake from a stop at a light in traffic, and immediately upon attempting to depress the gas pedal, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate. The dashboard displayed two error messages, Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control. Both messages after displaying went off and then the check engine light remained on. The vehicle would not accelerate at all. However, at idle speed, the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road, put in park and then turned off. After about 20 seconds, the vehicle was restarted. The dashboard displayed the two error messages again and the check engine light remained on. I was able to accelerate the vehicle at that time but traveled slowly. We were close to a nearby Jeep dealership, (Gary Barbera 215-335-3800) so we immediately drove there. We dealt with service advisor, Brian Ferreira. He was incredibly accommodating and despite a full schedule worked to assist us. Testing was completed but other than the check engine light being on, they could not replicate the exact messages noted above on the dashboard. However, it was determined that parts would need to be ordered (purportedly an accelerator pedal). They cleared the check engine light and we drove the vehicle home.

Monday, January 18, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2752

The vehicle was brought in for repair from the above noted service date. Replaced the accelerator pedal.

Sunday, January 24, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2773

Remote start did not work. Also, difficulty starting the vehicle, but it finally turned over. After leaving our parking garage, less than 1 mile, the check engine light came on. While stopped at a traffic light, we put the vehicle in park and turned off the vehicle. Restarted the vehicle without any issues and the check engine light went off. We ran errands without any additional issues that day.

Saturday, January 30, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2830

At approximately 9:45am, the second occurrence was experienced upon trying to start the vehicle after refueling. The engine did NOT turnover. The same two error messages displayed on the dashboard and then the check engine light came on. I depressed the start engine button to turn the vehicle off. Upon depressing again to start the vehicle, the same error messages displayed (video footage was obtained via mobile phone). The engine did start, the check engine light remained on and we were able to operate the vehicle at a decreased speed. Again, being in close proximity to a Jeep dealership (Cherry Hill Jeep (856) 471-1058) we immediately traveled approximately 2 miles down the road. At this location, we were advised (wrongly) that because we previously serviced the vehicle elsewhere, we were required to return to that dealership. The service agent refused to even look up our vehicle or offer any assistance. We were lied to and turned away. Despite knowing full well that we were being lied to at this point there was a complete lack of trust in the dealershipā€™s ability to work on our vehicle. Although we were apprehensive to operate the vehicle, given the severity of this issue, we had to do so. Therefore, we immediately traveled the distance back to the Gary Barbera dealership. It was at this location that again, Brian Ferreira worked with us. They kept the vehicle and provided a loaner.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2862

Advised that the vehicle was ready for pickup. It was explained that PCM and ABS faults were cleared, (not sure if anything was replaced or installed) but that there was also a software update and they worked with engineering to work on the vehicle this time. Advised that they tightened pins and drove the vehicle 32 miles without replicating the issue. We picked up the vehicle and drove it home.

Saturday, February 27, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3332

Running errands this day. Lifted the driverā€™s seat lever to release and move the seat forward to load items into the rear passenger area. Upon attempting to slide the seat back, the back would NOT move into the upright position. After about 10 minutes of searching and checking the front passenger seat, we discovered a loose cable near the door and back side of the driverā€™s seat. Upon pulling this cable, the seat back was maneuvered into an upright position. Made an appointment to have this fixed and get an oil change and general service.

Saturday, March 6, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3479 (3378 upon arrival for service)

We decided to go back to the dealership where we purchased our Jeep, (Sands in Quakertown (215) 911-2835). We made an appointment for an oil change, tire rotation and reattachment of the driverā€™s seat cable. Raymond McKnight is the service advisor that we spoke with. The routine service was completed, and it was determined that parts for the seat repair would have to be ordered. We left and drove throughout the day without any issues. It was approximately 101 miles in total that day. We parked back at home and approximately 2.5 hours later we went back out. Approximately 9 miles/18 minutes into our 10-mile trip the two error messages, Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control came on. This time it occurred upon approaching a right curve in the road that required depressing the accelerator and braking to slow down. Again, the vehicle lost power and upon attempting to press the gas pedal it would not accelerate. This time, there was no where to pull over, but it was a local road without much traffic, and we were able to coast until we could turn onto a side street. Upon doing so, we placed the vehicle in park, turned it off, waited about 10 seconds, then restarted the vehicle. The check engine light remained on; however, we were able to continue the short distance to our destination. A few hours later upon departure, the vehicle started with only the check engine light on. We drove the vehicle home via local roads, non-highway only and parked in the garage.

Monday, March 8, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3491

The remote start would not work even while standing in close proximity to the vehicle. Started the vehicle and the check engine light was still on from the March 6th event. We traveled approximately 10 miles and for about 50 mins before the 4th occurrence of the Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control. This time, it happened during the evening hours, while traveling on route 76 west, a highway at approximately 45-50 mph in moderate traffic. Upon the error messages illuminating, the vehicleā€™s accelerator pedal was nonresponsive, in that the vehicle would NOT accelerate. I was able to maneuver to the shoulder, put it in park, turn off the vehicle and restart it. Upon doing so, only the check engine light was on and the vehicle again would accelerate. We were only about 1 mile from home and we were able to get it home and park.

GottaLemon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a case now. 64879533

My dealer said they want to replace the PCM. However the part is on backorder. To expedite it I had to call "chrysler cares"
Somehow that got the ball rolling.
It's very disappointing that I had to go through this on a brand new vehicle, but what's more troublesome is that jeep has an issue and knows it but won't do anything about it yet.
I was told that I could come get the vehicle until the part comes in. My question is, who then is liable when my defective jeep stalls on the highway and kills someone?
Oddly, I'm having the same issues, same part and 2 years later that part is still on backorder! LOLOLOLOL! today is 4/28 and the part won't be shipped until 5/17!!!!!! Case Manager is trying to get the part expedited. Hopefully she can. 5/17 will be over a month my jeep will be sitting at the dealership.

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oddly, I'm having the same issues, same part and 2 years later that part is still on backorder! LOLOLOLOL! today is 4/28 and the part won't be shipped until 5/17!!!!!! Case Manager is trying to get the part expedited. Hopefully she can. 5/17 will be over a month my jeep will be sitting at the dealership.

Sponsored

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update.... my Jeep has been at the dealership for 7 weeks now. I too have a case with Jeep cares and they have been good with communication. They replaced a pin connector at the accelerator pedal and on the 2nd test drive guess what happened. Now working with the manufacturer engineers, a wiring harness of some sort has been ordered. The best part, it is due in on June 4th! I get it, things are backed up etc. but 3 months of paying for a vehicle that isnā€™t even a year old!?!? Honestly this has been an issue since Jan. I have no faith that this will get fixed at all. This is the third chance and then lemon law issues kick in. Itā€™s completely disappointing, and worse thing is I miss that darn Jeep so bad.

GottaLemon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Update.... my Jeep has been at the dealership for 7 weeks now. I too have a case with Jeep cares and they have been good with communication. They replaced a pin connector at the accelerator pedal and on the 2nd test drive guess what happened. Now working with the manufacturer engineers, a wiring harness of some sort has been ordered. The best part, it is due in on June 4th! I get it, things are backed up etc. but 3 months of paying for a vehicle that isnā€™t even a year old!?!? Honestly this has been an issue since Jan. I have no faith that this will get fixed at all. This is the third chance and then lemon law issues kick in. Itā€™s completely disappointing, and worse thing is I miss that darn Jeep so bad.
I feel your pain. Mine has 3584 miles on it, bought it with 7 miles in December 2020. JLUR. The dealership has no idea what is wrong and contacted Chrysler engineers for help. They said change the PCM. Part won't be available until 5/17, jeep left us on the side of the road 4/16 and has been at the dealership since then, except when they called 4/20 to say they couldn't duplicate the issues, picked it up and got 12 miles down the road and same thing...had to be towed. We started a case as well but after reading these forums I'm not feeling hopeful. Like I said part won't be in until mid May and they aren't even positive that is the issue. Only other issue we've had with the jeep is that it periodically blows cold air through the glovebox. Even when the heat is on. Weird. Like you, I MISS MY JEEP. I'm really hoping for a fix. Best of luck to you!

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update... our wonderful Willy's is officially a Lemon. FCA is repurchasing it after it has been dead at the dealership for 4 months. Yes, 4 months! Unfortunately, the part just is not available as it has not yet been made by the manufacturer. Not only that, it is a stab in the dark with this wiring harness as they still do not know if that will be the genuine fix to the issue. We have not even had it a year. It is insanely sickening. We love that Jeep and are sad that it has ended this way. Jeep Cares has been awesome with updating and working to try and expedite things.
HOWEVER, we already have an order in for a new Willy's in hydro blue. So we are hoping for a do over and that this one works out better. We are also leasing this time instead of buying.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
Hi all.
We have a 2020 2dr wrangler willy's. SAME electronic throttle and stability control issue has been going on for 2 months now. The vehicle has only about 3500 miles on it and is 6 months old. Up until last night, it was mainly on local roads at relatively low speed with mild traffic. Last night was highway speed in moderate traffic. That is extremely daunting. It first occurred in January, dealership ordered and replaced a new accelerator pedal. Two weeks later it happened again while stopped and restarted after getting gas. Said they tightened some screws or something. Made it a month this time before it happened again. We also now have a cable that came loose from the driver's seat. I've detailed below. We are waiting to hear back from the dealership to get it in there and have all of these things fixed FOR GOOD!

Saturday, January 9, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2554

At approximately 10am the first occurrence of this mechanical problem was experienced in non-highway traffic. Upon releasing the brake from a stop at a light in traffic, and immediately upon attempting to depress the gas pedal, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate. The dashboard displayed two error messages, Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control. Both messages after displaying went off and then the check engine light remained on. The vehicle would not accelerate at all. However, at idle speed, the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road, put in park and then turned off. After about 20 seconds, the vehicle was restarted. The dashboard displayed the two error messages again and the check engine light remained on. I was able to accelerate the vehicle at that time but traveled slowly. We were close to a nearby Jeep dealership, (Gary Barbera 215-335-3800) so we immediately drove there. We dealt with service advisor, Brian Ferreira. He was incredibly accommodating and despite a full schedule worked to assist us. Testing was completed but other than the check engine light being on, they could not replicate the exact messages noted above on the dashboard. However, it was determined that parts would need to be ordered (purportedly an accelerator pedal). They cleared the check engine light and we drove the vehicle home.

Monday, January 18, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2752

The vehicle was brought in for repair from the above noted service date. Replaced the accelerator pedal.

Sunday, January 24, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2773

Remote start did not work. Also, difficulty starting the vehicle, but it finally turned over. After leaving our parking garage, less than 1 mile, the check engine light came on. While stopped at a traffic light, we put the vehicle in park and turned off the vehicle. Restarted the vehicle without any issues and the check engine light went off. We ran errands without any additional issues that day.

Saturday, January 30, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2830

At approximately 9:45am, the second occurrence was experienced upon trying to start the vehicle after refueling. The engine did NOT turnover. The same two error messages displayed on the dashboard and then the check engine light came on. I depressed the start engine button to turn the vehicle off. Upon depressing again to start the vehicle, the same error messages displayed (video footage was obtained via mobile phone). The engine did start, the check engine light remained on and we were able to operate the vehicle at a decreased speed. Again, being in close proximity to a Jeep dealership (Cherry Hill Jeep (856) 471-1058) we immediately traveled approximately 2 miles down the road. At this location, we were advised (wrongly) that because we previously serviced the vehicle elsewhere, we were required to return to that dealership. The service agent refused to even look up our vehicle or offer any assistance. We were lied to and turned away. Despite knowing full well that we were being lied to at this point there was a complete lack of trust in the dealershipā€™s ability to work on our vehicle. Although we were apprehensive to operate the vehicle, given the severity of this issue, we had to do so. Therefore, we immediately traveled the distance back to the Gary Barbera dealership. It was at this location that again, Brian Ferreira worked with us. They kept the vehicle and provided a loaner.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 2862

Advised that the vehicle was ready for pickup. It was explained that PCM and ABS faults were cleared, (not sure if anything was replaced or installed) but that there was also a software update and they worked with engineering to work on the vehicle this time. Advised that they tightened pins and drove the vehicle 32 miles without replicating the issue. We picked up the vehicle and drove it home.

Saturday, February 27, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3332

Running errands this day. Lifted the driverā€™s seat lever to release and move the seat forward to load items into the rear passenger area. Upon attempting to slide the seat back, the back would NOT move into the upright position. After about 10 minutes of searching and checking the front passenger seat, we discovered a loose cable near the door and back side of the driverā€™s seat. Upon pulling this cable, the seat back was maneuvered into an upright position. Made an appointment to have this fixed and get an oil change and general service.

Saturday, March 6, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3479 (3378 upon arrival for service)

We decided to go back to the dealership where we purchased our Jeep, (Sands in Quakertown (215) 911-2835). We made an appointment for an oil change, tire rotation and reattachment of the driverā€™s seat cable. Raymond McKnight is the service advisor that we spoke with. The routine service was completed, and it was determined that parts for the seat repair would have to be ordered. We left and drove throughout the day without any issues. It was approximately 101 miles in total that day. We parked back at home and approximately 2.5 hours later we went back out. Approximately 9 miles/18 minutes into our 10-mile trip the two error messages, Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control came on. This time it occurred upon approaching a right curve in the road that required depressing the accelerator and braking to slow down. Again, the vehicle lost power and upon attempting to press the gas pedal it would not accelerate. This time, there was no where to pull over, but it was a local road without much traffic, and we were able to coast until we could turn onto a side street. Upon doing so, we placed the vehicle in park, turned it off, waited about 10 seconds, then restarted the vehicle. The check engine light remained on; however, we were able to continue the short distance to our destination. A few hours later upon departure, the vehicle started with only the check engine light on. We drove the vehicle home via local roads, non-highway only and parked in the garage.

Monday, March 8, 2021 ā€“ Mileage 3491

The remote start would not work even while standing in close proximity to the vehicle. Started the vehicle and the check engine light was still on from the March 6th event. We traveled approximately 10 miles and for about 50 mins before the 4th occurrence of the Service Electronic Throttle Control and Service Electronic Stability Control. This time, it happened during the evening hours, while traveling on route 76 west, a highway at approximately 45-50 mph in moderate traffic. Upon the error messages illuminating, the vehicleā€™s accelerator pedal was nonresponsive, in that the vehicle would NOT accelerate. I was able to maneuver to the shoulder, put it in park, turn off the vehicle and restart it. Upon doing so, only the check engine light was on and the vehicle again would accelerate. We were only about 1 mile from home and we were able to get it home and park.
God please help me. After placing original 392 order on 11/18/2020 which officially was declared a lemon in May, I waited another 5 months for a 392 XR order which I finally picked up 3 days ago. Everything that has been described in this thread just happened to me. Vehicle lost power just after traffic
light turned green, gear lights flashing, service electronic stability control light turns on, cannot get vehicle into drive at all and then the dreaded check engine light turns on. Fuse box extremely hot, weird smell similar to that of oil burning all with only 67 miles on this new 392 XR after waiting 11 months from time original order was placed. Please god, this canā€™t be possible. Can I somehow be headed toward TWO Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Lemon a row???? Please tell me I am dreaming and this is just a bad nightmare and I havenā€™t woken up yetā€¦.. PLEASE I BEG YOUā€¦.. PLEASE DONā€™T LET THIS BE TRUE. I would truly appreciate anyone who had gone through this similar horrible experience to give me any and all advice regarding possible reason and solutions.
:please: :facepalm: :please:

Jeep Wrangler JL Loss of power, electronic throttle and stability control light 7E3738F9-0392-4B34-A515-5946A683CB60

BroSyl

First Name
Bro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW!! I cannot even imagine! our first willys was repurchased as a lemon in July. We ordered a new one, waited 14 weeks and have now had it 3 weeks. I have said hopefully we just got a bad one. I'm saying the same as you @Alleycat392 hopefully this does not happen again. they could never figure out exactly what was wrong with ours. It sat at the dealership for 4 months while awaiting a major wire harness part that wasn't even being built yet. Prior to that the accelerator pedal was replaced, a wiring harness for that and some other part all that did nothing. Seems like this is a random but well know issue that they just can't figure out. I wish you all the luck that this is a fluke thing, that something dumb just needs to be reseated, replugged etc.
Sponsored