First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Planning a trip from Los Angeles to conquer the Rubicon Trail the weekend of September 18-21.
Been hitting Holcomb Creek, John Bull and such in SoCal in preparation.
Gaging any interest?
Sponsored

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
Planning a trip from Los Angeles to conquer the Rubicon Trail the weekend of September 18-21.
Been hitting Holcomb Creek, John Bull and such in SoCal in preparation.
Gaging any interest?
I'm headed up there on August 3rd, but I may be going back in September too. I haven't figured out what dates though. I just hit Holcomb Creek on Saturday and it was busy, plus there was a broken Ford Ranger on the second rock garden. I waited there for over an hour... Hopefully, it's not that busy when you go.

OP
OP
dspilman

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I'm headed up there on August 3rd, but I may be going back in September too. I haven't figured out what dates though. I just hit Holcomb Creek on Saturday and it was busy, plus there was a broken Ford Ranger on the second rock garden. I waited there for over an hour... Hopefully, it's not that busy when you go.
I was at Holcomb Creek on Sunday! It was fairly busy too, there was a group of 6 FJ's that struggled over the middle rock garden, half of them had to winch through. I waited about an hour as well, then my 2-door got up and over it in a couple minutes haha.

Let me know how it goes it August! Are you taking your JLU or JK?

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I was at Holcomb Creek on Sunday! It was fairly busy too, there was a group of 6 FJ's that struggled over the middle rock garden, half of them had to winch through. I waited about an hour as well, then my 2-door got up and over it in a couple minutes haha.

Let me know how it goes it August! Are you taking your JLU or JK?
I'm taking the JLU. It's mostly a camping trip with a little Rubicon mixed in. If I end up going back in Sep it will be dedicated to the trail and I may take the JK (2 door is more fun haha).

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
If I have my lift on by then I might be down. Would make for two all white JLRs. Ordering everything this week but stuck on the 35 or 37 debate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dspilman

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
If I have my lift on by then I might be down. Would make for two all white JLRs. Ordering everything this week but stuck on the 35 or 37 debate.
I went with Cooper 37s and couldn’t be happier. These things crawl over anything.
What lift are you doing?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I went with Cooper 37s and couldn’t be happier. These things crawl over anything.
What lift are you doing?
Originally was looking at Metalcloak 2.5" with rocksports but really don't want to wait 5 weeks to receive it so I'm cross shopping the Rock Krawler Flex or X factor 2.5 with fox 2.0s. A bit cheaper to get into and I can start wrenching next week.

As for the 35 vs 37 situation - I'm worried about losing too much performance and mileage with the stock 4.10s and also pushing the axles / steering components / etc a bit more resulting in a more expensive build. I was trying not to regear under warranty as I know if anything goes bad with the lockers they only replace the whole axle, but all that said would a 37 KM3 really be so drastically different on the drivetrain than a 35? The 37 fitment certainly looks a hell of a lot more in line with what I want, but plenty of people like Jon lopes and other locals I know wheel their rigs hard and are happy on 35s. It's a tough call.

OP
OP
dspilman

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Originally was looking at Metalcloak 2.5" with rocksports but really don't want to wait 5 weeks to receive it so I'm cross shopping the Rock Krawler Flex or X factor 2.5 with fox 2.0s. A bit cheaper to get into and I can start wrenching next week.

As for the 35 vs 37 situation - I'm worried about losing too much performance and mileage with the stock 4.10s and also pushing the axles / steering components / etc a bit more resulting in a more expensive build. I was trying not to regear under warranty as I know if anything goes bad with the lockers they only replace the whole axle, but all that said would a 37 KM3 really be so drastically different on the drivetrain than a 35? The 37 fitment certainly looks a hell of a lot more in line with what I want, but plenty of people like Jon lopes and other locals I know wheel their rigs hard and are happy on 35s. It's a tough call.
The JLR definitely felt a bit slower once I put my 37s on there. I'm running Rubicon stock 4.10 gears. But after a while, I don't notice it anymore. MPG...well...I didn't buy it for efficiency.

Looking forward to seeing what you go with! Definitely need to get the two white 2-doors together one way or the other.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
the rubi was tough this season. Jesse's rig looks good, im sure he will be posting pics soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dspilman

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Watching this. Im in Riverside and so want to do this trail. I just came back from Dusy 2 weeks ago and need to do some minor maintenance.
how was the Dusy? I’ve been wanting to that trail as well. How many days did you take to do it? How bad are your damages haha

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Tahoe national forest is closed to all camping this includes the Rubicon trail. just a heads up might want to check back early next week. All the fires has the forest service shutting down all camping and all types of cook wear and camp fires are not allowed. hopefully this lifts before your trip!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tahoe/alerts-notices/?aid=61550

OP
OP
dspilman

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Unfortunately looks like I’ll be delaying until October given all the wild fires. I’d like things to calm down and air to clear up before getting involved. Rubicon is challenging enough without adding the X factor of a wild fire into the game!