Sponsored

Loosening track bar bolts and Control arms when doing 2.5 spacer lift really needed?

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I recently installed the RC 2.5" spacer lift on my 2 door JL and I did not loosen track bars or control arms. My jeep is riding great currently and there doesn't seem to be any binding or issues. I know many people recommend loosening to prevent binding and wear but would prefer to leave everything nice and factory tight seeing as everything is working well as is. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the RC 2.5" spacer lift on my 2 door JL and I did not loosen track bars or control arms. My jeep is riding great currently and there doesn't seem to be any binding or issues. I know many people recommend loosening to prevent binding and wear but would prefer to leave everything nice and factory tight seeing as everything is working well as is. Any thoughts on this?
I would loosen and re-tighten and torque to spec., but that’s just me...... :)

Last edited:

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
You will not notice any issues, the jeep will feel exactly the same whether or not you loosen the bolts or not.

The problem is this. There are no bearings or any rotating assemblies in your suspension. Your suspension system is able to articulate because the rubber bushings in your suspension arms twist and deflect. This twisting and deflecting causes bushing wear over time. The good news is that at normal ride height, the bushings are in a neutral/relaxed state without any stress put on them. But not yours. Since you lifted your jeep without loosening and re-tightening the bolts, your bushings are in a constant state of deflection and stress, even with your jeep parked. This will lead to rapid wear and failure of the bushings. If nothing else I would do the front track bar, because worn out front track bar bushings is a guaranteed way to get death wobble.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
You will not notice any issues, the jeep will feel exactly the same whether or not you loosen the bolts or not.

The problem is this. There are no bearings or any rotating assemblies in your suspension. Your suspension system is able to articulate because the rubber bushings in your suspension arms twist and deflect. This twisting and deflecting causes bushing wear over time. The good news is that at normal ride height, the bushings are in a neutral/relaxed state without any stress put on them. But not yours. Since you lifted your jeep without loosening and re-tightening the bolts, your bushings are in a constant state of deflection and stress, even with your jeep parked. This will lead to rapid wear and failure of the bushings. If nothing else I would do the front track bar, because worn out front track bar bushings is a guaranteed way to get death wobble.
Thank you for the detailed response. I guess I will have to get my butt under there and do it in the next few days.