Sponsored

Loose Steering Wrangler JL - Service Bulletin

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My Overland JLU is booked in next week , 16 June, for the replacement of the steering box from the original aluminium version to the new steel version inclusive of the bolts that hold it in place . All under warranty …. I’ll post how it feels once I’ve driven it a few days .
The install of the new steering box was done this week . Wow what a difference, simply a chalk a cheese result. The JL steering is now amazing and restful to drive on a highway or even just driving in local streets . Haven’t been off-road with it but that should be better and more positive too . Thanks Sunco Jeep in Maroochydoore for the great support and service .
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
The install of the new steering box was done this week . Wow what a difference, simply a chalk a cheese result. The JL steering is now amazing and restful to drive on a highway or even just driving in local streets . Haven’t been off-road with it but that should be better and more positive too . Thanks Sunco Jeep in Maroochydoore for the great support and service .
is there any dead spot in the middle from what ive heard from others?
As im thinking of trying to get the box changed over in my jeep too, but im nearly a year in waiting for other replacement parts.. its becoming such a joke, i feel i need to rock up to the dealership with my tool box and take the parts i need off their demo car=/

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As im thinking of trying to get the box changed over in my jeep too, but im nearly a year in waiting for other replacement parts.. its becoming such a joke, i feel i need to rock up to the dealership with my tool box and take the parts i need off their demo car=/
I have no dead spot , steering feel is very positive .

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that there is a noticeable improvement. I wouldn't classify the steering on my Jeep as terrible, but I'm sure it can be improved. If I recall correctly, I think the '99 XJ I was driving about 16 years ago had better steering.

I've been in touch with the service manager at my local Jeep dealer and he's getting the parts sorted and will be contacting me to confirm a date to bring my JLUR in for this TSB. I'll update here once I get this done.

Last edited:

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that there is a noticeable improvement. I wouldn't classify the steering on my Jeep as terrible, but I'm sure it can be improved. If I recall correctly, I think the '99 XJ I was driving about 16 years ago had better steering.

I've been in touch with the Service Manager at my local Jeep dealer and he's getting the parts sorted and will be contacting me to confirm a date to bring my JLUR in for this TSB. I'll update here once I get this done.
You want regret it …

Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
The service manager at my local dealership just got in touch with me. He has ordered the parts (from the US), and hopes to have them in 4 weeks. They will be in touch again when the parts are here and arrange a date for me to bring the Jeep in.

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just an update, got a call from the dealership last week, the parts have arrived and I’ll be taking the Jeep in for this TSB in about 2 weeks. Will report back once it’s been done and I’ve had some time to test it.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update, got a call from the dealership last week, the parts have arrived and I’ll be taking the Jeep in for this TSB in about 2 weeks. Will report back once it’s been done and I’ve had some time to test it.
I had mine done serval months ago . An amazing difference so positive and a pleasure to drive again although I feel the steering has a lighter feel to it now .

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

I found the service bulletin (attached) regarding how the steering feels on the wrangler JL, quite frankly I do feel a bit of play on the steering, particularly at highway speeds, or when crossing big trucks... The steering feels a bit too sensitive and frequently drifts...

I wonder if anyone has reported this to any jeep dealership in Australia or had their steering pump replaced under this service bulletin. From the looks of it, it will only be resolved if you flag it with jeep.

Found this long post as well, but it's mostly in the US "Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts"

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pedro
I reported it to my dealer , they assessed it and several weeks later when the parts arrived I took it back in and they replaced the steering box. The original ones are made of cast alloy as are the bolts that were used to attach to the vehicle . These all replaced by a steel unit .... The result is amazing , steers is so positive now and back to being a joy to drive . The only negative I can find is that it feels a little lighter , although after a month of driving with it I hardly notice that now and the big smile on my face shows it all worth it .

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
I reported it to my dealer , they assessed it and several weeks later when the parts arrived I took it back in and they replaced the steering box. The original ones are made of cast alloy as are the bolts that were used to attach to the vehicle . These all replaced by a steel unit .... The result is amazing , steers is so positive now and back to being a joy to drive . The only negative I can find is that it feels a little lighter , although after a month of driving with it I hardly notice that now and the big smile on my face shows it all worth it .
I reported my steering issues to my dealer and they said it was due to the 35s I've fitted. I'm going to fit the stock wheels back on it when it goes for a service in a couple of weeks and again report the steering issue. Hoepfully they won't fob me off this time.

Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
As mentioned in my last post, the dealer received the parts to do the TSB on my JLUR.

I will update again but so far the first impressions are quite positive. I’ve only driven from the dealer back to work and then home. The steering feels slightly heavier than before and has a significant decrease in the centre dead spot. Small movements in the steering wheel now moves the wheels immediately and directly which translates to a greatly improved feel. I don’t notice the floaty feeling from before where you’d move the steering and it felt like the wheels didn’t change direction.

So overall, I think from early signs I can highly recommend this to others.

Even though I have a 2.5” spacer lift the dealer did the right thing when I mentioned the TSB and did not bring up the suspension lift as an excuse to not do the upgrade like others have reported. I’m also very happy with the service I am receiving from the dealership so far.

Last edited:

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I think your dealer might be the problem if you’ve waited that long for some other parts. It took just over 4 weeks from when I spoke to the dealer until they contacted me to say the parts arrived from the US.

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
Gday KDoc, did you get a TSB number for the job for the Aus market? My dealer claims the tsb doesn't exist so I'd like to know what tsb number your job was done under. Thanks mate.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gday KDoc, did you get a TSB number for the job for the Aus market? My dealer claims the tsb doesn't exist so I'd like to know what tsb number your job was done under. Thanks mate.
I’ll check on my laptop tomorrow. The dealer that did ours was Still no Jeep in Maroochydoore Qld.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll check on my laptop tomorrow. The dealer that did ours was Still no Jeep in Maroochydoore Qld.
Sorry auto correct , Sunco Jeep Maroochydoore.
Sponsored