Loose Steering Wrangler JL - Service Bulletin

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Luckily my lift is still out route from USA so my car is currently stock. Honestly tho, with the experience I’ve had so far I doubt I get a fix, but we will see.
as an alternative I looked at the the sector shaft brace. However these look LHD specific and won’t fit.
Th thing I have up my sleeve is that it gets worst the hotter the box is. So will keep chipping away at it.
Sponsored

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Th thing I have up my sleeve is that it gets worst the hotter the box is. So will keep chipping away at it.
I think the TSB even mentions warmer climates. Some days on the motorway I can turn 11-1 before there’s a change in direction. Also, possibly unrelated I have had power steering fluid leaking past my cap seal since day one.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I think the TSB even mentions warmer climates. Some days on the motorway I can turn 11-1 before there’s a change in direction. Also, possibly unrelated I have had power steering fluid leaking past my cap seal since day one.
check they didn't overfill it...

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I discussed this with the service manager at a dealership. He said that he looked into it for me and that the parts are only for LHD and that there weren’t any fixes for the RHD at this point. At least no part numbers. He also said that our export models are similar to that of Europe. So we may never get the same support of that found on LHD cars.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
M
I discussed this with the service manager at a dealership. He said that he looked into it for me and that the parts are only for LHD and that there weren’t any fixes for the RHD at this point. At least no part numbers. He also said that our export models are similar to that of Europe. So we may never get the same support of that found on LHD cars.
Makes sense why the TSB doesn’t list RHD replacement part.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pguerreiro

pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon MY20
@AU_JLU , @echo17
They do refer APAC on the bulletin, but again there are also LFH drive countries in APAC...

Anyway, I do understand the conflicting opinion, dealership and us(the consumer), they just want us to go away, but that does not make the problem disappear. I would be ready to wait (not years) for a fix. Since they took responsibility for the LFH models the same should apply to the RHD. I never liked the solution found for the RHD anyway...

The number of LHD vehicles is far greater than then the RHD (** assumption **), therefore the exposure to lawsuits is also lower, one reason(there are many others) why FCA has the reputation some have been describing in this forum, particularly in Australia.

Last edited:

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly right, I am also used to solid axle vehicles, previously owned a 98 LR Discovery TDI and more recently a JK, although the JL is clearly an upgrade, the on road behaviour I had hopes it would be significantly better.

From reading through the long post mentioned, people who had their steering box replaced/serviced under that service bulletin reported exceptional improvements. Hence why I am curious about if anyone has ever report it and had it replaced... I've notice the bulletin covers APAC, so definitively RHD vehicles.
I had raised the wandering issue with my dealer recently . Today he called me to tell me they had just received an FCA bulletin on this and that I should book my JL Overland 2019 in for assessment. I have changed my tires to AT ‘s but they have the same rolling diameter as the stock tyres other than that my JL is stock . I’II post once I have an outcome ...

OP
OP
pguerreiro

pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon MY20
I had raised the wandering issue with my dealer recently . Today he called me to tell me they had just received an FCA bulletin on this and that I should book my JL Overland 2019 in for assessment. I have changed my tires to AT ‘s but they have the same rolling diameter as the stock tyres other than that my JL is stock . I’II post once I have an outcome ...
That's good news! I really wonder how this will play out. Please keep us posted.

I have since added a AEV 2.5" lift and changed tires to 295/70R17... They might refuse any work for me... however I still have the same symptoms, not better not worse.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's good news! I really wonder how this will play out. Please keep us posted.

I have since added a AEV 2.5" lift and changed tires to 295/70R17... They might refuse any work for me... however I still have the same symptoms, not better not worse.
We have booking for an assessment on May12.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Today my 2019 JL Overland was assessed as per the TSB on steering wandering .. (our JL is stock other than fitted AT’s that have the same rolling diameter as the OEM road tyres that came with delivery )

The outcome is that they are ordering a new steering box which will be replaced under warranty. Not sure yet when this work will be done as they need to confirm with FSA the parts and delivery date but I will report back here on how good the result is .

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Keep pushing for it, I have a 2021 with the steel steering box and it drives like a car and that is with 305/70R17's on it. A huge improvement from my JK and no deadspot or wandering. I also drove a 2021 Gladiator with allterrains that the dealer loaned me for a day ans it was the same, tight, drove really well.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Maybe list of dealers that are doing it without a shit fight.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe list of dealers that are doing it without a shit fight.
I with the dealer I have had all my Jeep’s serviced at and also where I purchased the JL . Sunco Jeep Maroochydoore , a great team their lead by Jason Bull . By the way the assessment is pretty detailed and took several hours ….

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I with the dealer I have had all my Jeep’s serviced at and also where I purchased the JL . Sunco Jeep Maroochydoore , a great team their lead by Jason Bull . By the way the assessment is pretty detailed and took several hours ….
Thanks, not sure why it needs to be detailed. The TSB says if customer is complaining about "wandering" steering and/or pulling to left/right get it replaced.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

My Overland JLU is booked in next week , 16 June, for the replacement of the steering box from the original aluminium version to the new steel version inclusive of the bolts that hold it in place . All under warranty …. I’ll post how it feels once I’ve driven it a few days .
Sponsored