Sponsored

Loose Steering Wrangler JL - Service Bulletin

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this helps ..... The TSB states EPAC as one of the areas in the word that are covered , that is Asia and ANZ . Our dealership already knew about it before I took this too them and I had no issues at all . Sunco just first assessed our Jeep to be certain and ordered the part thereafter . Such a wonderful result . I believe I downloaded the TSB off the Wrangler forum.
Sponsored

Attachments

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Hi all, found this doc on another blog. It replaces TSB-08-074-20 and covers RHD and APAC.
Will be getting mine reviewed by the Service centre later next month. Fingers crossed it meets FCA Aus changeover parameters as the wandering and following of road camber is really annoying. Someone mentioned I should be able to change radio channels without wiping out traffic in the next lane. Something to look forward to.

Attachments

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assessment completed. Steering box replacement needs to be done. Now waiting for parts to arrive.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering box replaced a month ago. A very different feel. Steering is firmer with no signs of the looseness previously experienced. A pleasure now to drive on the motorway with no wandering. Handles off road fine. Overall, worthwhile pursuing if your original steering treats your inputs as a suggestion.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Hi Brett, thank you for the update..
What did they actually replace? The whole steering box?

This is my first solid axle car...so Im not sure how much "play" in steering is good/bad.

I just read in the TSB
  • The lead/pull will be more noticeable in hot ambient temperatures.

I think it is matching with my feel..
When its cold, my steering is more firm.

Could I just go to the dealer and ask them to check and replace?

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Brett, thank you for the update..
What did they actually replace? The whole steering box?

This is my first solid axle car...so Im not sure how much "play" in steering is good/bad.

I just read in the TSB
  • The lead/pull will be more noticeable in hot ambient temperatures.

I think it is matching with my feel..
When its cold, my steering is more firm.

Could I just go to the dealer and ask them to check and replace?
Hi Hugh,
As far as I can tell, the whole steering box was replaced as per the bulletin.
Originally, I was noticing more of the steering wander and the feel of excessive play in the steering wheel, rather than pull to left or right. Driving down a straight road on the highway, I had to constantly correct the direction because of the play in the steering.
When I first raised the issue with the dealer, the response was that light steering is normal for these vehicles. I insisted that my issue was not about light steering, but excessive wander. Aware of this bulletin, I provided them a copy of the latest edition with the RHD part numbers. They were aware of the TSB and agreed to make an appointment to assess the vehicle as per the requirement from Jeep. The assessment consisted of the required checks called out in the bulletin and then I went with the senior mechanic for a test drive on the local motorway. He agreed that the play in the steering was excessive and logged the issue with Jeep to have the parts and labour provided under warranty. Jeep approved the request and so provided the parts to the dealer to be fitted as per the bulletin.

When you go to the dealer, make sure you have them understand the actual problem you are having, without them making assumptions. Suggest taking a copy of the TSB to refer to. It will then be subject to their assessment, because they need to obtain Jeeps approval to do the work and get paid for it.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, it was worthwhile doing.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Hi Hugh,
As far as I can tell, the whole steering box was replaced as per the bulletin.
Originally, I was noticing more of the steering wander and the feel of excessive play in the steering wheel, rather than pull to left or right. Driving down a straight road on the highway, I had to constantly correct the direction because of the play in the steering.
When I first raised the issue with the dealer, the response was that light steering is normal for these vehicles. I insisted that my issue was not about light steering, but excessive wander. Aware of this bulletin, I provided them a copy of the latest edition with the RHD part numbers. They were aware of the TSB and agreed to make an appointment to assess the vehicle as per the requirement from Jeep. The assessment consisted of the required checks called out in the bulletin and then I went with the senior mechanic for a test drive on the local motorway. He agreed that the play in the steering was excessive and logged the issue with Jeep to have the parts and labour provided under warranty. Jeep approved the request and so provided the parts to the dealer to be fitted as per the bulletin.

When you go to the dealer, make sure you have them understand the actual problem you are having, without them making assumptions. Suggest taking a copy of the TSB to refer to. It will then be subject to their assessment, because they need to obtain Jeeps approval to do the work and get paid for it.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, it was worthwhile doing.
Thank you very much..
That’s very detailed

Sometimes, when I am about to stop at the red light, I feel the a slight pulling on steering towards to right..

but I feel like they are like my front speakers… they are on and off.. hope I could replicate the issues when I’m showing to the dealer..I’ll definitely print out theTSB and take it with me to dealer.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Looks like dealer won’t do it if you have lifted & changed tire..
Can anyone post the part numbers?
just wondering if I can order it from US and replace it by myself.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Looks like dealer won’t do it if you have lifted & changed tire..
Can anyone post the part numbers?
just wondering if I can order it from US and replace it by myself.
as long as, "Vehicles that have professionally installed lift kits, that are within the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, are eligible for the repair described in this TSB. However, if the vehicle has been lifted or modified beyond the limits of the service wheel alignment specifications, this TSB is not likely to address the customer’s concern of wander, leads and pulls "

You can order the parts from RockAuto, but their is a software component. I'm taking mine back to differnt dealer with factory tires back on it to try again.

AJ CJ5

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, 2020 JLUR, Harley Road Glide ST & FXFBS
Occupation
Explosives.
Very Interesting. I have just been accepting this for so long. However Jeff, my JL is also considered to be modified beyond with 315's, wheel spacers and a rusty AEV lift (AEV quality ain't what it used to be). I will likely do the box myself as well and take it in for the software flash.
Down here in Newcastle McCarrolls Jeep really don't support the JL very well. To the point of even ordering the wrong cabin filter which would have been handy for my old JK..
I do my own servicing and always have, but buying genuine parts from McCarrolls and parts are listed against my VIN. I had the infotainment system replaced under warranty with no issue but I feel anything else would be a struggle.

McCarrolls quoted me yesterday $480 for a RH inner axle seal for the front diff. Just the seal! Both the parts guy and I could only laugh at this to which he apologised for and explained that he argues with FCA every day on the price of parts in Australia. Now i'm on the hunt for the axle seal which is proving very difficult.

P.S. Jeff I was in North Lakes a few weeks ago chatting to you on instagram when i was up in our office, next time our times will line up better for a chat ;)
Sponsored