pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon MY20
Hi everyone,

I found the service bulletin (attached) regarding how the steering feels on the wrangler JL, quite frankly I do feel a bit of play on the steering, particularly at highway speeds, or when crossing big trucks... The steering feels a bit too sensitive and frequently drifts...

I wonder if anyone has reported this to any jeep dealership in Australia or had their steering pump replaced under this service bulletin. From the looks of it, it will only be resolved if you flag it with jeep.

Found this long post as well, but it's mostly in the US "Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts"

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pedro
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I haven't reported any issues to the dealer. I am not sure if my experience is what should be expected from a solid axle front end or if there is a minor problem. I would say that the steering is a little vague on centre and that there is distinct habit of following road camber. I find I need to steer slightly against the camber of the road to keep the vehicle straight. Consequently rough sections of road could have the vehicle drift either left or right and a concerted effort is required to counter the effect.
After having experiences at my initial dealer that left me a little dubious about their abilities, I have taken the Jeep to Macarthur in Sydney, to have an air conditioning issue rectified. My experiences there have been positive and I will go back there for the next scheduled service. When I was last there they picked up that the Steering Dampener recall needed to be done and they had the parts to do it. I suspect this is a different recall to the one you have quoted. The steering now feels a little tighter, but the tendency to drift is still there.
Will make a point of mentioning this at the next service.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My wife has a 4 door Mini Cooper. If l move the steering wheel one mm, the car goes there! The best steering ever!

My 2 door JL, has a dead spot in the centre. On the highway I have to be careful but its not a problem.

Off road, or in a Bunnings car park, my Jeep has a better turning circle than my wife's Mini Cooper!

The dead spot in the middle, helps the superior turning circle.

I LOVE MY JEEP!

OP
OP
pguerreiro

pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't reported any issues to the dealer. I am not sure if my experience is what should be expected from a solid axle front end or if there is a minor problem. I would say that the steering is a little vague on centre and that there is distinct habit of following road camber. I find I need to steer slightly against the camber of the road to keep the vehicle straight. Consequently rough sections of road could have the vehicle drift either left or right and a concerted effort is required to counter the effect.
After having experiences at my initial dealer that left me a little dubious about their abilities, I have taken the Jeep to Macarthur in Sydney, to have an air conditioning issue rectified. My experiences there have been positive and I will go back there for the next scheduled service. When I was last there they picked up that the Steering Dampener recall needed to be done and they had the parts to do it. I suspect this is a different recall to the one you have quoted. The steering now feels a little tighter, but the tendency to drift is still there.
That's exactly right, I am also used to solid axle vehicles, previously owned a 98 LR Discovery TDI and more recently a JK, although the JL is clearly an upgrade, the on road behaviour I had hopes it would be significantly better.

From reading through the long post mentioned, people who had their steering box replaced/serviced under that service bulletin reported exceptional improvements. Hence why I am curious about if anyone has ever report it and had it replaced... I've notice the bulletin covers APAC, so definitively RHD vehicles.

OP
OP
pguerreiro

pguerreiro

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Joe98 I am not saying I don't love it, I actually DO! The best 4x4 I haver had! hands down, But if jeep is releasing some improvements (good on them) I would like to have it as well. :angel:

Sponsored

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Off topic but can I ask what your aircon issue was? Mines never been that cold from day one. Worst cooling I’ve ever had.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Off topic but can I ask what your aircon issue was? Mines never been that cold from day one. Worst cooling I’ve ever had.
No gas. It had all leaked out. Either from the factory or the previous service dealer, a spacer block between the AC line and Coolant line (two tubes in parallel) was missing and a cable tie used to secure the two together. The cable tie eventually piercing the AC line and letting the gas escape. I am now thinking my decision to change servicing dealer a good move. AC was working until I stopped using it at the end of summer. When I went to us it again in September, it didn't work. Last service was in June.
Prior to this the AC worked fine. No issues with the cooling. It gets cold enough.
Thankfully working again before the hot weather hits.

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
Yeah I'm with the rest. Definitely a bit of a dead spot in the centre... got used to it pretty quickly though.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
The dead spot is annoying on long country drives. I’d will bring it up with my dealer but previous experience with issues tells me they won’t be able to replicate it until the 3rd visit. At which they will agree , only to have to wait for Jeep head office to approve a fix. To then only be told that it’s normal and they all do it.
Has any one else actually had the steering fix carried out?

Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I've contacted my dealer and emailed them a copy of the TSB. Waiting to hear back if they think this applies to Aus RHD market.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This is what I got when I brought it up,
Thank you for your patience. We’ve just got a response from FCA, The bulletin you speak of is only for LHD vehicles only but we asked Technical if there was anything available for the RHD market, they have advised that as the vehicle has been modified beyond it’s design, this concern is not considered to be related as a manufacturing defect. We would still recommend an adjustable rear panhard rod be fitted to the vehicle to see if this fixes the issue. Failing that from a warranty viewpoint, the vehicle would need to be returned to standard to see if the issue still persists.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
This is what I got when I brought it up,
Thank you for your patience. We’ve just got a response from FCA, The bulletin you speak of is only for LHD vehicles only but we asked Technical if there was anything available for the RHD market, they have advised that as the vehicle has been modified beyond it’s design, this concern is not considered to be related as a manufacturing defect. We would still recommend an adjustable rear panhard rod be fitted to the vehicle to see if this fixes the issue. Failing that from a warranty viewpoint, the vehicle would need to be returned to standard to see if the issue still persists.
Luckily my lift is still out route from USA so my car is currently stock. Honestly tho, with the experience I’ve had so far I doubt I get a fix, but we will see.
as an alternative I looked at the the sector shaft brace. However these look LHD specific and won’t fit.
Sponsored