Sponsored

Loose steering on the 4xe

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Has anyone had issues with the steering being loose or wandering like the initial JLs? I had a 2019 that I got rid of due to the terrible steering that Jeep could not fix.
Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I now own a 4xe, have owned a 2018 JL, and have test driven one other in the past three years with the following steering ratings on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 = dangerous, and 10 = stays straight, no wander, dead spot < 1/2”, relatively tight steering feel (for a Wrangler!). Here’s how they scored:

2018 JLU Sahara 3.6 auto trans on a test drive: Score = 9

2018 JLU Sahara 3.6 manual trans (owned for 3 yrs): Scores as follows:
  • Score = 2 when it first arrived w/tires at 47 PSI
  • Score = 3 after I aired down to 35-ish
  • Score = 5 after the TSB was applied to flash the computer
  • Score = 7 after the TSB was applied to swap the steering box
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe (own, but only have about 40 miles on her). Score = 9

Extremely pleased so far. Noticeable improvement from my 2018 JLUS (after all TSBs applied) as compared to the 2021 4xe Rubicon.

Before the 4xe arrived, I was planning to install the longer LCAs from Mopar’s lift kit, as I’ve read how that has helped a lot of Rubicon owners adjust their caster angle and improve steering issues. But frankly, with the steering this good, I don’t know that I want to mess with it!

Disclaimer: I’m just a data set of one, so take my assessment with a grain of salt! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Thanks! Mine had around a 3" dead spot where moving the steering wheel did not move the wheels at all! I figure all the 4xes are coming with the latest steering gear, but was hoping for some real world experiences.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yeah, my 2018 JLUS had about 2.5” of dead spot at first. And downright exhausting on long trips with making constant adjustments to steering to keep her on the road!

Last edited:

eLECTRICON

I had a little wander in stock. Then I put 35" tires and it wondered a bit more. So I got a stiffer steering stabilizer and it tightened up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Sounds familiar lol

Yeah, my 2018 JLUS had about 2.5” of dead spot at first. And downright exhausting on long trips with making constant adjustments to steering to keep her on the road!

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
My 4xe is a noticeable difference to my 2018, both 4 door Rubicon’s. My 2018 was also one of the last 18’s off the line and had the 2019 steering components so I actually wasn’t expecting such a noticeable improvement on the 4xe.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
My 4xe is a noticeable difference to my 2018, both 4 door Rubicon’s. My 2018 was also one of the last 18’s off the line and had the 2019 steering components so I actually wasn’t expecting such a noticeable improvement on the 4xe.
First time jeep owner (just ordered 4xe sahara). Been searching threads on 4xe sahara highway manners. Test drove a rube and sahara, but not 4xe. Both were a handful but the sahara had more narrow tires. We take long driving trips (15hr) and drive straight through and this is a concern for us. Good to see a positive reply. Hoping the 'dead spot' and self centering is acceptable.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
My 4xe wandered a bit from the dealer... tier pressure was set in the mid 40s. Dropped it to 36 and it made a huge difference.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I came from a 2018 which had the old steering components. The 4xe was a MASSIVE improvement. I assume some of that is from the updated steering components (which presumably were present in the non-4xe's you test drove) and some from the weight of the battery.

Both my 2018 and the 4xe had overly high tire pressure when I picked them up and drove them home. That makes for a busier ride on the highway. In both cases, decreasing it to the pressure recommenced on the door jam label made a noticeable improvement.

At the end of the day, though, it's a live axle vehicle. Over time you will adjust to it and it will be 2nd nature. So you won't be constantly over-correcting it on the highway. Personally I think it's so damn fun, I could care less anyhow! Haha.
Sponsored