Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

400kGC

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I stumbled upon this forum and it is hilarious! I'm from the Jeep TJ forums, you know, the ones where people actually discuss how to work on their own cars. People who wouldn't be caught dead leasing a vehicle. People who were raised to fix their own stuff and not waste. Does anyone here ever actually work on your Jeep? I've read hundreds of posts talking about paying for service, waiting for dealerships, and leasing! Trying to help you guys. You are wasting your money. These are very easy cars to work on. 400k miles and going strong.
Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So as I have posted on other threads. There are about three real steering issues which are easily corrected. The steering shimmy aka Death Wobble is the first gen steering stabilizer failure. Mine made it about 13k miles before I had it replaced. Iā€™m at 27k now and have had no more shimmy/wobble issues. There is a TSB for the body assist in cold weather. Steering assist would go away in low temps, computer flash fixed the problem. Lastly, the JL went to electric power steering vs hydraulic. It is a totally different driving experience and it has some shortfalls, but is an industry trend. My JL rides and handles 10 times better than my jk.

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
So as I have posted on other threads. There are about three real steering issues which are easily corrected. The steering shimmy aka Death Wobble is the first gen steering stabilizer failure. Mine made it about 13k miles before I had it replaced. Iā€™m at 27k now and have had no more shimmy/wobble issues. There is a TSB for the body assist in cold weather. Steering assist would go away in low temps, computer flash fixed the problem. Lastly, the JL went to electric power steering vs hydraulic. It is a totally different driving experience and it has some shortfalls, but is an industry trend. My JL rides and handles 10 times better than my jk.
My question is with the wandering issue won't it make driving in sever winter weather a little more dangerous with the constant little corrections? Especially on slick/icy roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I stumbled upon this forum and it is hilarious! I'm from the Jeep TJ forums, you know, the ones where people actually discuss how to work on their own cars. People who wouldn't be caught dead leasing a vehicle. People who were raised to fix their own stuff and not waste. Does anyone here ever actually work on your Jeep? I've read hundreds of posts talking about paying for service, waiting for dealerships, and leasing! Trying to help you guys. You are wasting your money. These are very easy cars to work on. 400k miles and going strong.
Thank you wise old TJ Jeep Master. What a helpful post. Youā€™re right; leasing is definitely our problem. Canā€™t believe we didnā€™t see that before. You can go back to your TJ forum now that youā€™ve enlightened us.

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
JLā€™s are still in warranty. Thatā€™s why people are dealing with dealers.. what an asinine post

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
where did you find the campaign? I have this problem. I have 2 to 3 inches of play on each side of center in my steering, which Jeep the dealership where I bought it is saying is NORMAL. I did open a JEEP CARES case and they made an appointment for me on July 8th to bring it in to a different dealership, But anything I can go in with to support my case would be helpful.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
And, it was only his second post.
Guys, come on. None of us have 400,000 miles on our Jeeps, so we really donā€™t know anything yet. If you canā€™t handle and pay for all repairs on your own, you donā€™t deserve to own one anyway.

Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 with 250,000 miles every time I replace my tires (Goodyear Duratrac) that thing is all over the road for 4-5000 miles. I hate it. After break- in of the tires the steering is rock solid.

This 06 LJ unlimited drove stright as an arrow today, as I had to pick it up for a friend. Tires were worn in good 33x12.5x15

Straight at 70

With death wobble

8EEB4D45-D37F-446B-8132-0F3BAD52B690.jpeg
82421491-FFB7-4343-AB98-52DA585F8660.jpeg
F6CA6B7D-4AB7-412D-BC9D-C6AF1E35E5E0.jpeg
B6417223-2FCB-457A-A9E2-048D5558FBE9.jpeg

Two nails and screw.

102BFFFA-83F7-41D2-91FB-A3E0AAF2EB80.jpeg

jaben

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took mine into the dealer for wandering and what I feel is over correction when steering. They came back with ā€œ the technician couldnā€™t find a faultā€ and charged me $75 for the diagnostic.
Still wanders. I sold a 2008 JKU Rubi 4ā€ lift and 35s for this and it had better steering.
Donā€™t get me wrong I love my JLU Rubi. Just wish there was a fix for this annoying issue.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Oh calm down it wasnā€™t even serious... as I already explained to him. On a serious note I truly also hate seeing people spending upward of 40k+ and get treated like theyā€™re literally not dealing with any issues at some of these dealerships. It gives all the GOOD ones the HUGE horrible ā€œstealershipā€ rep.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
It needs to be said, although I can already feel the conflict that my comments will generate. So be it.

Iā€™ll try to be brief as possible.

If you feel your Jeep is not safe to drive or has some other issue than loose steering, this doesnā€™t apply to you. Get your Jeep into service.

Now about that loose steering...

Tight steering on a Jeep means certain death. Hit a bump at high speed and watch what happens to the steering wheel with those live axels. Loose is good.

For off-road, you need power to turn the wheels on obstacles and more precise control to not fall off a cliff. Loose is good.

This is why Jeep designed the gearing ratios in the box to be loose.

Now for the wandering...

All cars wander do to road crown and imperfections and wind. You might notice it much more in a Jeep since bigger steering corrections are needed because the steering is loose. Also WIND (The Jeep is an aerodynamic train wreck.). Watch any driver in any car and you will see them making constant corrections, just smaller. This is normal.

Maybe you donā€™t agree. Thatā€™s fine, but my family has owned four JLs so far (2018 and 2019), and Iā€™ve driven many more. They are all the same with loose steering.

Enough of this. Unless you have some other issue beyond ā€œloose steering,ā€ go drive your Jeep. Enjoy the loose steering! It will keep you awake and having fun while the rest of the regular car drivers are half asleep.
Ridiculous. Was there a reason for you to post, other than to feel high and mighty to push your uneducated opinion?!
These Jeep JLs have the worst steering out of any jeeps. All you are saying is that you compared poor steering to other poor steering.
Sit back and be quiet, if you donā€™t like it.
Let others discuss....

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I guess nobody ever leased a TJ when they were new. Yes, Jeep first started leasing vehicles in 2018, but not the JK. Just the JL for the money wasters. A Real Jeepā„¢ was never new and has never seen a dealership in it's life. /s

As for the claim this thread makes, that Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL: just because it is normal for the JL, doesn't mean it is acceptable.
Sponsored