Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
But, the steering does respond to movement if you hold it in that position long enough. I can say that on all four I’ve owned, you can do the quick back and forth movements from the videos, and they behave the same way as in the videos. The steering motion is too fast to have an effect.
This is my experience as well - I'm not sure what those videos are supposed to show. If I hold the wheel anywhere in that "dead zone" for any length of time, it will start moving in that direction.

I'm sure many are experiencing real steering problems, but I'm not sure that particular test is any indication of them. It seems like since an electric steering box and a computer are involved, that it is not so simple as that.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
This is my experience as well - I'm not sure what those videos are supposed to show. If I hold the wheel anywhere in that "dead zone" for any length of time, it will start moving in that direction.

I'm sure many are experiencing real steering problems, but I'm not sure that particular test is any indication of them. It seems like since an electric steering box and a computer are involved, that it is not so simple as that.
Regardless of all of the technology in the JL steering, there is still a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and tires. The only thing affected by the ECU and electric steering pump is the amount of assist at any given moment. So play in the steering comes from mechanical components. The only place where I can see the amount of hydro assist slightly affecting steering play is in the steering box. The steering box uses a torsion valve to control the hydro assist. If the torsion valve is opens with relatively low torque, it may well cause perceptibly more steering wheel movement with low assist than high assist pressure. Any other looseness in the steering comes from loose ball joints, flexing drag link, flexing track bar, soft track bar bushings, loose rod ends, excessive steering box lash, etc.. None of these things are "NORMAL" for a fixed axle vehicle IMHO.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Check out the delay between the steering column connection on the steering gear box and the pitman arm movement in the 25 second video below. Someone else posted this video a few months ago, it isn't my JL.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Check out the delay between the steering column connection on the steering gear box and the pitman arm movement in the 25 second video below. Someone else posted this video a few months ago, it isn't my JL.

That’s intentionally designed that way. To avoid bump steer and for better off-road performance. It’s a feature not a defect!

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
That’s intentionally designed that way. To avoid bump steer and for better off-road performance. It’s a feature not a defect!
Ok, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic this time or not. Bump steer is when cycling the suspension causes the steering angle to change due to suspension geometry. It is not feedback to the steering wheel from hitting a bump with your tire. A loose steering box will only help the later if the bump causes the tire to turn more in the direction you are trying to turn (into loose backlash zone), which is almost never the case.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Ok, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic this time or not. Bump steer is when cycling the suspension causes the steering angle to change due to suspension geometry. It is not feedback to the steering wheel from hitting a bump with your tire. A loose steering box will only help the later if the bump causes the tire to turn more in the direction you are trying to turn (into loose backlash zone), which is almost never the case.
Yes, I was being sarcastic regarding what OP stated in the original post. I thought that was clear. Evidently not.

Can we get a smirking sarcastic smiley please?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't have loose steering and mine doesn't have that delay or lag between the steering column and pitman arm. I watched my steering gear box while someone was turning the steering wheel and they both turn together and mirror each other exactly.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I was being sarcastic regarding what OP stated in the original post. I thought that was clear. Evidently not.

Can we get a smirking sarcastic smiley please?
Well, I guess that's a trait of good sarcasm.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just because a number of you have a perfect car doesn't mean that everyone has a perfect car. Manufacturers in mass production make mistakes, if they didn't there would be no need for consumer protection/lemon law. Enjoy your perfect car, while others try to get what they paid for. Stop trashing on people just because you haven't experienced problems yourself.

Interesting fact, I thought the Subaru forums had a "blind brand loyalty/cult" issue but apparently Jeep actually has been titled as a cult. And here I thought it was bad over on the Subaru and Toyota sides.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-brand-garners-official-cult-status-rating

Last edited:

Sponsored

LostAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
i have a 2018 Rubicon. have been to the dealer 6 times to get it fixed. Still nothing. Updated track bar, steering stabilizer, and gear box. Nothing has fixed the slop, looseness and play. last resort is a new steering box.

Can you describe the difference between the two you own? thanks
For me, the original rubicon would wander and just seem to
i have a 2018 Rubicon. have been to the dealer 6 times to get it fixed. Still nothing. Updated track bar, steering stabilizer, and gear box. Nothing has fixed the slop, looseness and play. last resort is a new steering box.

Can you describe the difference between the two you own? thanks
For me, the original rubicon would wander and have play in the steering wheel (could move a few inches to the left or right of dead center steering wheel, and no directional change in vehicle. I also had a 'floaty' type feeling and would have to constantly correct the vehicle to go straight. After the new rubicon, I do not have any of these issues. All my testing before and after are on the same roads (mix of highway and non-highway, multiple conditions of road).

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t think the difference between a steering box and rack and pinion is being stated enough. You can never remove all play from a steering box. There will always be some backlash as the worm gear and balls in the box make contact. General rule of thumb is 1-3 inches dead zone in the center.

A big problem with the JL boxes is they are not adjustable. The factory adjusts them and then puts permanent threadlocker on the adjustment screw. So, basically, if your Jeep has a misadjusted steering box, your dealer can’t do anything about it.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don’t think the difference between a steering box and rack and pinion is being stated enough. You can never remove all play from a steering box. There will always be some backlash as the worm gear and balls in the box make contact. General rule of thumb is 1-3 inches dead zone in the center.

A big problem with the JL boxes is they are not adjustable. The factory adjusts them and then puts permanent threadlocker on the adjustment screw. So, basically, if your Jeep has a misadjusted steering box, your dealer can’t do anything about it.
Per Star case #S1819000003, it states to replace the steering gear box if that is the case. But make sure they bench test the new steering box for the proper specs before they install another bad one (this test only takes 2 minutes when the steering box isn't in the Jeep and even the morons who keep putting 6 quarts of oil in JLs instead of 5, can do the steering box test). Otherwise, they will be on a wild goose chase assuming "it isn't the steering box, we replaced that. Gotta be something else."

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

gearboxreplace.jpg

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Per Star case #S1819000003, it states to replace the steering gear box if that is the case. But make sure they bench test the new steering box for the proper specs before they install another bad one (this test only takes 2 minutes when the steering box isn't in the Jeep and even the morons who keep putting 6 quarts of oil in JLs instead of 5, can do the steering box test). Otherwise, they will be on a wild goose chase assuming "it isn't the steering box, we replaced that. Gotta be something else."

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

gearboxreplace.jpg
That’s true. I guess I should have said “won’t” instead of “can’t” lol

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, here's a silly theory. Is the sensor for steering wheel angle in the clockspring or something? Or is it in the gearbox?

What if one of the computers notices your wheel is turned a tiny bit, but your actual steering gear hasn't moved due to looseness in the steering column attachment. Does it go "huhhhh" and try to compensate somehow?
Sponsored