Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I have a Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 with 250,000 miles every time I replace my tires (Goodyear Duratrac) that thing is all over the road for 4-5000 miles. I hate it. After break- in of the tires the steering is rock solid.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I think some drivers have (not all) come from an IFS with rack and pinion and except the JL to have a similar feel. I have owned a solid axle vehicles since 1979 and my JL has a lot of the same solid axle inherent problems.
I also have a 2001 F250 Super Duty 4wd. I'll admit it may be time for a new steering box on it, but you drive it like you're stirring soup. Our JLUR is much better to drive and no issues with it so far. Now, compared to our Gen 5 Explorer, the JLUR is all over the place, but they are a completely different type if steering set up. The Explorer will track straight down the road for miles with no input.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree. I think some drivers have (not all) come from an IFS with rack and pinion and except the JL to have a similar feel. I have owned a solid axle vehicles since 1979 and my JL has a lot of the same solid axle inherent problems.
Many JL owners with loose steering are test driving other JLs from the dealer lot so they are confirming their JL in fact has loose steering compared to another JL

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You also need to take into consideration that the jl has an electronic hydro steering pump vs the jk for example which hses just a hydraulic steering pump.... The problem is say you are going down the highway the electronic pump isnt always activated... So the steering wheel "play/loose" could be attributed to the lag between the pump booting up to the driver turning the wheel
Then why would this happen on the owner’s JL and not on a test JL from the dealer’s lot?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I seems to me we are going about this steering thing all wrong........the people with steering problems should be contacting members of this forum that have no steering problems with there JL,( that are local to them )and have that person drive the JL with steering problems as a more credible reference. I personally and currently have no steering problems with my JL. I would be more than happy to test drive another members JL and let them drive mine.
Great idea. In addition, many of the JL owners with loose steering are test driving other JLs from the dealer lot so they are confirming their JL in fact has loose steering compared to another JL

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There's definitely JLs with real steering issues out there. Especially 2018s. I do agree with the implication there is a decent segment of owners who just don't understand how a solid axle vehicle will drive. My cousin who never drove a Jeep before last week complained about how hard it was to steer mine. I had a 2014 JKU before my JLU and can promise the steering is identical. Neither my 2014 or 2019 have steering issues. The JL has introduced the Wrangler to many first time owners and quite frankly many people do not know what they're getting into. This is a very unique vehicle and will handle differently than 99% of vehicles built in 2019 including its steering. People read there's steering issues online and think because they don't like their steering it must be an issue when truth is a JK/JL is going to have loose steering by design.

Again, there IS steering issues with the JL. It's fairly well documented.. But there's also a lot of first timers with confirmation bias that quite frankly have unrealistic expectations for a Jeep Wrangler. High MSRPs, 2019 or not, this is still a solid axle 4x4 that will behave like one too.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There's definitely JLs with real steering issues out there. Especially 2018s. I do agree with the implication there is a decent segment of owners who just don't understand how a solid axle vehicle will drive. My cousin who never drove a Jeep before last week complained about how hard it was to steer mine. I had a 2014 JKU before my JLU and can promise the steering is identical. Neither my 2014 or 2019 have steering issues. The JL has introduced the Wrangler to many first time owners and quite frankly many people do not know what they're getting into. This is a very unique vehicle and will handle differently than 99% of vehicles built in 2019 including its steering. People read there's steering issues online and think because they don't like their steering it must be an issue when truth is a JK/JL is going to have loose steering by design.

Again, there IS steering issues with the JL. It's fairly well documented.. But there's also a lot of first timers with confirmation bias that quite frankly have unrealistic expectations for a Jeep Wrangler. High MSRPs, 2019 or not, this is still a solid axle 4x4 that will behave like one too.
Spot on. Agree 100%. That’s why I created this thread, to help the first timers without issues to understand what’s going on. Again, people with issues get it to service.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Spot on. Agree 100%. That’s why I created this thread, to help the first timers without issues to understand what’s going on. Again, people with issues get it to service.
But to help those determine if their Jeep JL Wrangler has steering issues or not, they should test drive another JL of the same type (Sport vs Sport, Sahara vs Sahara, Rubicon vs Rubicon) and compare. Otherwise, they are comparing apples to oranges (Jeep vs Honda, Jeep vs Toyota, etc.).

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
But to help those determine if their Jeep JL Wrangler has steering issues or not, they should test drive another JL of the same type (Sport vs Sport, Sahara vs Sahara, Rubicon vs Rubicon) and compare. Otherwise, they are comparing apples to oranges (Jeep vs Honda, Jeep vs Toyota, etc.).
If this is an option, it’s a good verification. I suggest trying to match trim level, tires, etc. And try to drive in the same wind conditions.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There’s a difference between a forgiving “loose” steering feel that solid axle vehicles have versus the steering my JL had that required HUGE amounts of correction to maintain within the lines. I’ve had numerous Jeeps, lifted and stock, none of them drove like my JL did. To me, that’s unacceptable. I have installed a Metal Cloak track bar and Fox steering stabilizer. To me surprise, the stabilizer helped a ton. I’m not one to believe a stabilizer will resolve steering issues causes it’s just masking issues but it has helped. I’ll eventually do an aftermarket steering linkage set up so I’ll temporarily remove it to see if a beefier tie rod drag link helps.

In summary, there’s an acceptable amount of loose steering feel, my JL wasn’t even close

Sponsored

wolves26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ocean Blue, 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Blue Streak
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove six 2018 Sahara. One of them had very loose steering. Expressed my concerns to sales manager. He offered to take it to their service department while I waited. Told them no thanks and bought mine from a different dealer. My steering is very responsive. Move the steering wheel a half inch either way and I'm heading toward the other lane. If I moved the steering wheel back and forth 3" or 4" inches on the highway, like I've seen in some of the videos, I would loose control and roll it. Wind makes a big difference. The jeep is light and not aerodynamic. I can see how some might think they have loose steering if they don't realize how the wind pushes the jeep around. I have 2000 miles on mine and have no complaints. We'll see if the steering changes over time. Right now I'm enjoying my ride.

LostAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
As someone that has owned two 2018 JLUR's, the second one has way tighter steering. The other one was crazy bad.

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
As someone that has owned two 2018 JLUR's, the second one has way tighter steering. The other one was crazy bad.
i have a 2018 Rubicon. have been to the dealer 6 times to get it fixed. Still nothing. Updated track bar, steering stabilizer, and gear box. Nothing has fixed the slop, looseness and play. last resort is a new steering box.

Can you describe the difference between the two you own? thanks

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I like the direction this discussion is now going, away from the “how dare you” and “shut up” comments. Nice.

I think it would be good to try and describe the steering that people consider good on their Jeeps. For instance, mine don’t handle like a Civic or even a minivan or big pickup. But, the steering does respond to movement if you hold it in that position long enough. I can say that on all four I’ve owned, you can do the quick back and forth movements from the videos, and they behave the same way as in the videos. The steering motion is too fast to have an effect.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
On a somewhat related note, does anyone have any opinion on different brands and types of tires and how it affects drifting? Does the sidewall rating affect how well the tires track vs drifts? I know PSI can effect it, but I mean just the tire comparisons.
Sponsored