Sponsored

Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I guess my steering is within acceptable limits but I feel like I am driving one of those B & W movies where the driver is turning the steering wheel without any break.
I can tell you this is not normal having had a 2018 that wandered and now having 2 that don't. . I should take videos, both mine and the Wife's are solid and steady rolling down the highway with no steering input whatsoever. Hers is stock mine has the MOPAR lift but was fine before the mods.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This Star case is interesting. I know it says intermittent steering effort, but a constant weak ground connection could cause a constant lower voltage to be sent to the power steering component causing loose steering. Perhaps one of the forum members who has multiple JLs, one with steering issues and one without could use a voltmeter and compare. Many of us have found finger tight ball joint nuts, loose fuses, etc. so it wouldn’t be surprising to find a loose ground wire.

07E97E78-B1B2-4A06-BAEC-91987DEFDF7F.jpeg

1C34CBC3-C106-45CA-B5F7-274E55D98E61.jpeg

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I guess my steering is within acceptable limits but I feel like I am driving one of those B & W movies where the driver is turning the steering wheel without any break.
Not acceptable. Mine is being bought back for that. I’ve driven new 2020s on the lot that are solid. I’m hopeful my new one will be good.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
I have been battling this problem since I got my JLUS. I have had all TSBs (steering stabilizer and track bar) completed. That didn't fix the problem. I found that lowering tire pressure to 35psi helps a bit but not enough. I had the dealership change the gearbox out for the AE unit and that didn't really help much (though it doesn't vary as much between cold temp and warmed up as the old unit did). However, when trying to install the Synergy Track Bar and Sector Shaft Mount, I found that loosening the sway bar bolts (the lower ones that bolt on to the axle) helped a TON. I wrenched them down hard, similar to how they were from the dealership, and noticed that the steering had a big dead spot and was wandering all over the place. But when I loosened them up a bit (tighter than hand tight but not WRENCHED) the dead spot was gone and my JLUS actually was capable of going in a straight line. Must have something to do with the compression on the bushings. BIG WIN.

NOTE: It still bumps steers a bit, and it still wanders a bit, but it's tolerable and way way better than it was before. I'm no longer nervous when I look down at the radio for a second.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I have been battling this problem since I got my JLUS. I have had all TSBs (steering stabilizer and track bar) completed. That didn't fix the problem. I found that lowering tire pressure to 35psi helps a bit but not enough. I had the dealership change the gearbox out for the AE unit and that didn't really help much (though it doesn't vary as much between cold temp and warmed up as the old unit did). However, when trying to install the Synergy Track Bar and Sector Shaft Mount, I found that loosening the sway bar bolts (the lower ones that bolt on to the axle) helped a TON. I wrenched them down hard, similar to how they were from the dealership, and noticed that the steering had a big dead spot and was wandering all over the place. But when I loosened them up a bit (tighter than hand tight but not WRENCHED) the dead spot was gone and my JLUS actually was capable of going in a straight line. Must have something to do with the compression on the bushings. BIG WIN.

NOTE: It still bumps steers a bit, and it still wanders a bit, but it's tolerable and way way better than it was before. I'm no longer nervous when I look down at the radio for a second.
Can you post a picture of what you loosened on this other thread? FYI, your post has curiosity growing...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...els-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-397

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician

there seems to be a million attempts to solve this issue...and i’ll listen to every one of them!
Since i’m not much of a auto mechanic i rely a lot on videos and youtube.
if you could send a picture of the bolts you loosened i’ll try it and see what happens. Just dumb me doesn’t want to loosen the wrong ones

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
there seems to be a million attempts to solve this issue...and i’ll listen to every one of them!
Since i’m not much of a auto mechanic i rely a lot on videos and youtube.
if you could send a picture of the bolts you loosened i’ll try it and see what happens. Just dumb me doesn’t want to loosen the wrong ones
This is the lower sway bar link bolt. I may try this, easy to loosen and take a spin.
I know I torqued these up when I lifted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL 00598AD0-8AED-40A4-8975-893885B547A0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
This is the lower sway bar link bolt. I may try this, easy to loosen and take a spin.
I know I torqued these up when I lifted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL 00598AD0-8AED-40A4-8975-893885B547A0
Those are the ones I loosened. But be careful about loosening too much. If you hear a clacking when going over bumps they are too loose. You also don’t want these to further loosen with time so once you figure out the right amount of torque, get some breakable loctite in there to keep them in place.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
I am yes. The only thing I’ve changed is the stabilizer shock. Other than that it’s totally stock.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Updated Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

Hello - new member here, just picked up a new 2019 JL 2D last week and had a definite case of the loose steering with about a 3-4 inch dead zone. Could feel it around town, but on the highway was a handful. The fuse technique above FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY. You guys are awesome for posting this.

A few details: 2019 JL 2D 2.0L with build date 7/19 (probably one of the last 2019's) with an AE revision steering box. Before the fix, felt like the wheel would move, but none to minimal tire deflection near center, once about 2 inches off center the power steering would "kick in" and you would immediately get more than expected tire deflection. Obviously on the highway this would require constant left/right sawing at the wheel. Followed the steps above and after the "turn to center" in step 4, the wheel shifted a bit on its own as something was recalibrated. Restarted and drives great. Had my daughter drive it after and also said it was night and day - and she was scared to drive it even around the block previously. Cancelling my service visit scheduled for this Thursday and will communicate this to the service manager. Thanks all.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1148297
Sponsored

Last edited: