Sponsored

Loose Steering is NORMAL for the JL

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
It needs to be said, although I can already feel the conflict that my comments will generate. So be it.

I’ll try to be brief as possible.

If you feel your Jeep is not safe to drive or has some other issue than loose steering, this doesn’t apply to you. Get your Jeep into service.

Now about that loose steering...

Tight steering on a Jeep means certain death. Hit a bump at high speed and watch what happens to the steering wheel with those live axels. Loose is good.

For off-road, you need power to turn the wheels on obstacles and more precise control to not fall off a cliff. Loose is good.

This is why Jeep designed the gearing ratios in the box to be loose.

Now for the wandering...

All cars wander do to road crown and imperfections and wind. You might notice it much more in a Jeep since bigger steering corrections are needed because the steering is loose. Also WIND (The Jeep is an aerodynamic train wreck.). Watch any driver in any car and you will see them making constant corrections, just smaller. This is normal.

Maybe you don’t agree. That’s fine, but my family has owned four JLs so far (2018 and 2019), and I’ve driven many more. They are all the same with loose steering.

Enough of this. Unless you have some other issue beyond “loose steering,” go drive your Jeep. Enjoy the loose steering! It will keep you awake and having fun while the rest of the regular car drivers are half asleep.

so I have a 2018 JLUR no lift, but with 35" tires. I do not have loose steering at all, no dead spot, no wandering. so when I see people posting this I dont understand why they are not getting it fixed by FCA. my old land cruiser also had solid front axle and it steered perfect also. so your post doesnt make sense to me? having a solid front axle does not mean you are going to have loose steering?
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
so I have a 2018 JLUR no lift, but with 35" tires. I do not have loose steering at all, no dead spot, no wandering. so when I see people posting this I dont understand why they are not getting it fixed by FCA. my old land cruiser also had solid front axle and it steered perfect also. so your post doesnt make sense to me? having a solid front axle does not mean you are going to have loose steering?
Some of us are trying. I'm making for fourth appointment now for steering. At least my dealer is listening to me and working with me, which is a better experience than most. It's been a very frustrating adventure for sure.

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Some of us are trying. I'm making for fourth appointment now for steering. At least my dealer is listening to me and working with me, which is a better experience than most. It's been a very frustrating adventure for sure.
my issues where of very different nature. I had a water leak coming from the passenger A pillar/windshield seal. the leak would drain into the fuse box to the right of your leg in passenger seat and cause the dash to freak out. like it was possessed, screen blinking beeping, error codes and so on. it was very dangerous when doing 75 and all of a sudden your dash does this. it took 3 visits to dealership and 4 weeks I was without my jeep. pain in the ass. its fixed now, but I was ready to lemon law the car if it didnt get fixed
on the last visit. I was very unhappy, its too expensive a car to have that kind of problems, and they really didnt want to fix it. I had to push with dealer, and corporate. rediculous!

Broojer935

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2018
They recalled this already and replaced by steering dampener. The thing actually drives in a straight line for once

TopsOff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JLU Sport S
Test drove two 2020 JLU's today. The 20' V6 Sport S with 17" wheels felt pretty good - even at 42 psi. (smh) The 20' 2.0T Altitude with 18" wheels felt horrible - also at 42psi. We rented a 19' 2.0T Sport S a couple months ago - that's what got this quest started. That one was painful because I inadvertently was given a JLU for a 440 mile RT business trip. I thought I was going to get a DUI at 9am for being sober. Felt like I was dirt tracking up I-95. The local driving with top off was awesome enough though for me to go shopping.

Despite all this I still want to love the Jeep. We backed out of the 'deal about to happen' on the Altitude and are back to the Sport S. I can't have it in my head that something is wrong. Shame - cuz that Altitude package is nice. Oh - I didn't like the feel and sound of that particular VIN's 2.0T either in comparison to the rental. I won't risk ordering one at this point - it will be too painful if it shows up and it's 'one of the bad ones'.

Why are they so inconsistent VIN to VIN with same equipment? The Altitude has different shocks than Sport S according to sticker, and 18" wheels, different tires, compared to Sport S. Different weight bias maybe between 2.0T and V6? I dont know. Such a shame. I haven't even signed yet and I'm trying to find a reason to keep moving forward. The Sport S is going to cost me $60 more per month than the darn Altitude. (Altitudes are the hot ticket to lease now with a 4% higher residual than Sport S on 36/15)

Sponsored

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
It needs to be said, although I can already feel the conflict that my comments will generate. So be it.

I’ll try to be brief as possible.

If you feel your Jeep is not safe to drive or has some other issue than loose steering, this doesn’t apply to you. Get your Jeep into service.

Now about that loose steering...

Tight steering on a Jeep means certain death. Hit a bump at high speed and watch what happens to the steering wheel with those live axels. Loose is good.

For off-road, you need power to turn the wheels on obstacles and more precise control to not fall off a cliff. Loose is good.

This is why Jeep designed the gearing ratios in the box to be loose.

Now for the wandering...

All cars wander do to road crown and imperfections and wind. You might notice it much more in a Jeep since bigger steering corrections are needed because the steering is loose. Also WIND (The Jeep is an aerodynamic train wreck.). Watch any driver in any car and you will see them making constant corrections, just smaller. This is normal.

Maybe you don’t agree. That’s fine, but my family has owned four JLs so far (2018 and 2019), and I’ve driven many more. They are all the same with loose steering.

Enough of this. Unless you have some other issue beyond “loose steering,” go drive your Jeep. Enjoy the loose steering! It will keep you awake and having fun while the rest of the regular car drivers are half asleep.
l-21807-wrong.jpg

th?id=OIP.PZdOTYN1n5qxvPS9ibPBGQAAAA&pid=Api&dpr=2.jpg

Last edited:

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
OP, in some ways I appreciate your comments and I understand there is a fine line between the loose you describe and the loose we describe. I am trying to find that balance and understanding.

If everyone has the same problem, that sucks even if I notice it more. I wouldn’t call it a “Jeep thing” because of that. Taking my doors off...that’s a “Jeep thing”

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I test drove a Sport Unlimited on Saturday on the freeway. Drove great, no wandering, easy turns. I haven’t driven a Jeep in 20 years, this one drove like a car to me.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I got the AE, it took the slop from 2.5 to 1 inch slop. It’s still not safe IMO, front end is so tight it causes driver induced oscillations because of the slop. Tight front end is fine if there were no slack, this thing is a POS and I promise will hurt someone if it hasn’t already
Agree with this.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I think everyone is either trying or dealing with it in hopes of a fix that comes out and they dont have to do the leg work. Im on my 4 or 5th visit. The dealer will only do work that is approved so they can get paid. And they dont know the issue so what do they ask FCA about? I feel something coming soon though. The dealer I have been using has had multiple star cases opened and actually agreed to there being a steering issue.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I think everyone is either trying or dealing with it in hopes of a fix that comes out and they dont have to do the leg work. Im on my 4 or 5th visit. The dealer will only do work that is approved so they can get paid. And they dont know the issue so what do they ask FCA about? I feel something coming soon though. The dealer I have been using has had multiple star cases opened and actually agreed to there being a steering issue.
I’ve been four times and soon another. My dealer has been working with me on this. The service advisor said that FCA knows there’s a problem and are working on it. He was reading something on their system about it. Unfortunately, there’s nothing definitive yet.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Have had three JLURs in the family, one was loose and difficult the other two are very well mannered and drive like a dream. Yea, some have issues...
Just because you don't have an issue or accept the "manly" Jeeps that drive like a 66 Econoline van with a bad steering box doesn't make others wrong.

Reactions: Axe

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Us too. Our's are 3 months apart in build date. Both have AD boxes and same software. Mine has been a nightmare in fixes to get it half as good as the other JLUR.
I have added:
1. lower Mopar lift control arms ( helps )
2. non-dealer alignment ( from factory toe-out. went to toe-in ) best in feel change
3. Rock Krawler track bar ( helps )
4. track bar reinforcement bracket ( big help in feel )
5. Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer ( help with over big bump wheel shimmy )

And the all Mojito is still better......

Next going for drag link and tie rod.

2019 new year1.jpg

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I guess my steering is within acceptable limits but I feel like I am driving one of those B & W movies where the driver is turning the steering wheel without any break.
Sponsored