Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
For those with steering play and issues, do you have to re-learn driving when driving other vehicles?

LOL, this is funny coz I have been driving my JLUS since we bought it 3 months ago, suddenly today had to drive my bro's Grand cherokee, for the first few miles i was moving the wheel side to side because of my habit with the wrangler to keep it in line. Really appreciate driving other cars at this time. My wrangler is just parked on my driveway.
YES! When I get in any other car/truck/suv i move the damn wheel too much on center! I travel for work a lot and drive all sorts of rental vehicles. When I get back in the Jeep again it's like WTF!
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
For those with steering play and issues, do you have to re-learn driving when driving other vehicles?

LOL, this is funny coz I have been driving my JLUS since we bought it 3 months ago, suddenly today had to drive my bro's Grand cherokee, for the first few miles i was moving the wheel side to side because of my habit with the wrangler to keep it in line. Really appreciate driving other cars at this time. My wrangler is just parked on my driveway.
LMAO on these responses. And yes! I love driving my husband’s car because it’s so ridiculously perfect (but I don’t expect a Jeep to be that perfect, just want a straight line with minimal play, thankyouverymuch).

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
@RagTopDeluxe - Glad you got to get out and test drive...I did today, too!! Yes, on my other post I mentioned that the 2.0L does not seem to have this problem. I have driven about 4 of them over the past few months and not a single one had any tracking/pulling problems or loose steering at all. On the other hand, about half of the 8 or so 3.6L I have driven exhibit this problem. Not sure if there is a difference in the Steering Box and/or the whole front end. Of course the engine is smaller and maybe sits different in the mounting that could cause some issues.

I also read about something called the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD) something that sits on the right side of the axle and engage/disengages depending on 2W or 4W mode. It was something they introduced back into Jeeps in 2018...the same year they changed the Steering Box...wonder if it is related or could cause any of the problems we are seeing?

I also test drove a 2015 Rubicon I found today, and it was such a nice difference in steering, but it definitely made it hard for me since I have become so spoiled with all the new electronic goodies in the newer models (i.e. CarPlay, Large Screen, Backup cam, info center in middle of dash..) ugggg!! I know I know..it's a Jeep..not a car...get over it. LOL. Just not sure what I am going to do...order yet another one, call it quits and buy the 2015, or simple wait another model year and see if FCA get's it act together and figures out or redesigns the front end.
I’m going to drive more Jeeps before deciding on a replacement. As much as I loved our JK, the JL has me pretty spoiled. The first thing my husband did was replace the HU and that started the loooooooong rabbit hole :CWL:. I like my JL and hope to get a good one. I have some non-negotiable requirements, so finding one on a lot might be a challenge.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Agreed....thanks for the Monday morning laughs. JL-PTSD had me rolling.

And yes, when I get into my big old Ford cargo van it’s like driving a luxury vehicle.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Swapping out the PSC kit is proving to be a real pita. The dealers don’t know what parts need to be replaced. I might have to pay them to look at it and see if they can figure it out, but they weren’t interested in giving me a list of parts. They wanted to sell the parts, which are hundreds more than online. The pump and gear are obvious, but the rest? Sigh. I really wish I hadn’t gone ahead with it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@RagTopDeluxe - Don't beat yourself up over the PSC. It seem to work with 90%+ of others that had similar issues, and you were simply trying to find a solution that FCA has yet to find in the past 3 model years. Not your fault, but I am sorry it is a pita for you. I am really struggling on what to do.
Like my previous post mentioned, I have found the perfect used 2015 Rubicon, but the lack of technology and older 5-spd AT has me struggling a bit.
I have even, dare I say, looked at non-Jeep products like the Land Rover Discovery...but you cant take a top off one of those nor spend gobs of money moding it...lmao!! UGGG.
So, order new one? Buy old one? Or wait for 2021? Buy a non-Jeep?
Those are my options.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
@RagTopDeluxe - Don't beat yourself up over the PSC. It seem to work with 90%+ of others that had similar issues, and you were simply trying to find a solution that FCA has yet to find in the past 3 model years. Not your fault, but I am sorry it is a pita for you. I am really struggling on what to do.
Like my previous post mentioned, I have found the perfect used 2015 Rubicon, but the lack of technology and older 5-spd AT has me struggling a bit.
I have even, dare I say, looked at non-Jeep products like the Land Rover Discovery...but you cant take a top off one of those nor spend gobs of money moding it...lmao!! UGGG.
Those are my options.
I think the kit worked for everyone else, which tells me my Jeep has issues. Obviously ;). I’m stressed about the cost of this.

Land Rovers are pretty, but I don’t know if I’d want one. I love the topless Jeeps so much. I can see the 2015 being tempting for a year or two to see if FCA gets their act together on the steering :LOL:. It’s a big decision for sure.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
The new Bronco comes out this year also................

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Those are my options.
it’s a rough decision and soon I will be going thru the same mental anguish
I’m going to wait until all the documents are signed by FCA then I will Shop.
I am very confident I will do a 2020 JLU (Sahara or Rubi) since I really love the jeep, and I’ll find one that steers correctly. I think while this has been a terrible experience,,it also affords me a great opportunity. After a year and change of ownership and reading the amazing posts and ideas on this forum I feel I have a better handle on what may be the ideal jeep or me. So this time I will look for the options I have learned will better suit me. I’m making my list of non negotiable must haves and items that are wants but not deal breakers.

Kolmain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
After a lengthy conversation with Marvin from "Jeep Headquarters" due to a negative survey, they're back at trying to fix my steering. This time is a new TSB # 08-122-19 that is supposed to check and review the steering pump's pressures after installing the latest AE Gearbox. Will report after my appointment tomorrow.

Anyone heard of this TSB?

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
After a lengthy conversation with Marvin from "Jeep Headquarters" due to a negative survey, they're back at trying to fix my steering. This time is a new TSB # 08-122-19 that is supposed to check and review the steering pump's pressures after installing the latest AE Gearbox. Will report after my appointment tomorrow.

Seems like on some box replacements they may have loaded the wrong assist level in the programming and this tsb addresses it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-tsb-came-out-today-for-loose-steering.42536/

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Good luck and I’m glad that they’re trying to help. I hope it works.

Kolmain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Just got home from picking her up...

All I can say is, wow. That is the largest difference I had had since changing out all the components, AE box, tweaking, etc. It really tightened up the steering wheel and I have about 1" of play now. I can actually take my eyes off the road for 1-2" to check GPS or change the AC and be in the same spot that I think I will be in.

More details to follow; wife is coming home and she is the real test since she wouldn't drive it before. If ya'll got the AE box, you need this TSB.

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I know I'm buried in a 375+ page thread here, but I just had the warranty work done yesterday on the steering. I've got 30k miles on my 2018 JL and while I definitely had some play/wobble, it wasn't enough to make me truly worry.

That said, I got an oil change and a tire rotation, and my Service Manager said "Hey while you're here we can swap that dampener out if we have one". I said sure, and a little over an hour later all those services were done including the steering fix.

Now for the verdict...

...drum roll...

I didn't realize how much play and wobble I had until it was fixed. The Jeep's steering feels way better now. I hit some of the same areas on my work commute that used to rock the front end, and while it still shakes a bit, it's probably 50% more stable from what I can tell. I'm honestly pretty surprised at how much better it is.

Oh, and they put it on correctly!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Just got home from picking her up...

All I can say is, wow. That is the largest difference I had had since changing out all the components, AE box, tweaking, etc. It really tightened up the steering wheel and I have about 1" of play now. I can actually take my eyes off the road for 1-2" to check GPS or change the AC and be in the same spot that I think I will be in.

More details to follow; wife is coming home and she is the real test since she wouldn't drive it before. If ya'll got the AE box, you need this TSB.
I hope your wife enjoys it and feels comfortable driving it.

I know I'm buried in a 375+ page thread here, but I just had the warranty work done yesterday on the steering. I've got 30k miles on my 2018 JL and while I definitely had some play/wobble, it wasn't enough to make me truly worry.

That said, I got an oil change and a tire rotation, and my Service Manager said "Hey while you're here we can swap that dampener out if we have one". I said sure, and a little over an hour later all those services were done including the steering fix.

Now for the verdict...

...drum roll...

I didn't realize how much play and wobble I had until it was fixed. The Jeep's steering feels way better now. I hit some of the same areas on my work commute that used to rock the front end, and while it still shakes a bit, it's probably 50% more stable from what I can tell. I'm honestly pretty surprised at how much better it is.

Oh, and they put it on correctly!
That’s great! I’m glad it worked for you.

I’m happy that your Jeeps are driving better!
Sponsored