Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
You guys should try driving a 99-04 jeep grand cherokee and then talk about loose steering.
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Well, I had an interesting turn of events today.

I found out that I won in arbitration! I did *not* expect that at all. The arbitrator awarded a replacement Jeep or complete buyback. I am absolutely shocked.

One significant catch: I need to return my Jeep to stock.

Ruhroh

The PSC kit makes that requirement an expensive issue. It was $1,100 to install the kit and I’m sure it would be that much to remove it, plus purchasing all the take-off steering parts at at least $1,400. Crap. Swapping out the track bar and stabilizer aren’t too bad, but the kit? Ugh. The winch was an epic pita, too.

So I have some thinking to do.

I will admit that it feels great to be validated in this steering drama. Take that, FCA :like:
I scrolled back just to read this. Incredibly happy for you!! :clap::like:

@Brandon3333 too? Awesome! :rock:

And @Rdmitch ? Wow I’ve been behind. So happy for all of you, I’ve been reading your struggles. Hope you get a JL as great as my Willys :like:

Last edited:

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
We went to another dealer and drove a 2.0 then 3.6. The 2.0 drove *perfectly*! It tracked straight with no pulling, returned to center, and just felt so good and I loved it.

The 3.6 pulled to the right and it was immediately obvious. I wouldn’t take that one for anything.

Things I learned: it didn’t take long to rule out one that pulled; that if my replacement JL drove like the 2.0, I’d be absolutely thrilled.
Nice! At least now you know exactly how your JL “should track”. Hopefully the one you get will be the same. Keep your fingers crossed. As it seems to be quite hit or miss as you and others have experienced firsthand. Really Jeep does need to get QC sorted so this mess does not continue.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
My wonderful hubby went with me to test drive Rubis. We wanted to drive both the 3.6 and 2.0T versions (I have the 3.6) of the 4-doors (I have a 2-door).

We started at Roseville and drove a 2.0 black Rubicon. The steering wheel wasn’t straight so it was harder to evaluate, but drove *so* much better then mine with the steering returned to center. I think with the steering wheel set correctly it would be a contender. They didn’t have a 3.6 for us to drive.

We went to another dealer and drove a 2.0 then 3.6. The 2.0 drove *perfectly*! It tracked straight with no pulling, returned to center, and just felt so good and I loved it.

The 3.6 pulled to the right and it was immediately obvious. I wouldn’t take that one for anything.

Things I learned: it didn’t take long to rule out one that pulled; that if my replacement JL drove like the 2.0, I’d be absolutely thrilled.
Glad you are driving in them all but the engine should have nothing to do with the steering. Comparing apples to oranges in my book. Decide which engine you want and then go drive all those. You will find good and bad in both the engines.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
It’s not a problem inherent to JLRU’s. I have a Sahara with shopping cart syndrome. Not loose steering just wandering. We call the jeep Dion (old timers will get it). As I’m currently starting to shop for replacements, I drove 2 rubicons yesterday, both 2020’s, both 3.6 engines. Both had steering I would consider acceptable. A little drift or tug to the right on occasion, but no battle to drive.
I’m having a harder time finding something I really like and that has the options I want.

Unsure about the turbo still and trying to stick with the 3.6 standard.

Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
It’s not a problem inherent to JLRU’s. I have a Sahara with shopping cart syndrome. Not loose steering just wandering. We call the jeep Dion (old timers will get it). As I’m currently starting to shop for replacements, I drove 2 rubicons yesterday, both 2020’s, both 3.6 engines. Both had steering I would consider acceptable. A little drift or tug to the right on occasion, but no battle to drive.
I’m having a harder time finding something I really like and that has the options I want.

Unsure about the turbo still and trying to stick with the 3.6 standard.
First the Avatar I didn't much get till now lol...Shopping cart syndrome..I have driven so many different Wranglers and Gladiators in all trim levels recently including a 18 Rubi Recon..JKUR drove great lol just lacks options and insides seem so cheap looking to me now. None i test drove drive like mine and none has my deadspot or looseness..

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Ross,
I hear you....you have a Sahara......BUT does it appear to be more prevalent in the JLUR Unlimited 3.6Ls ? IF so, Why would that be ? Can anyone comment on the differences....Trac Loc ?? That doesn't make sense to me.....

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks RagTopDeluxe. It's funny...as I was waiting for the service guy to deflate my tires, I noticed another Rubicon owner taking stuff out of his Rubi and putting it into another...and his older Rubi still had the dealer paper plates...just like mine. I think he was the second owner they told me about months ago that was having the same problem. Must have ordered it same time I did...I didn't get a chance to speak to him though...he was gone when I got back.
Yea...totally bummed out for sure. I had high hopes that anything newly built might have been resolved. So, not sure what I am going to do. Going to be a long week.
At least you have a good dealer that is willing to work with you. Most don’t seem to care or won’t recognize there is a problem

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First the Avatar I didn't much get till now lol...Shopping cart syndrome..I have driven so many different Wranglers and Gladiators in all trim levels recently including a 18 Rubi Recon..JKUR drove great lol just lacks options and insides seem so cheap looking to me now. None i test drove drive like mine and none has my
E176D632-CA0E-4943-9A7F-E20BD3CDD535.jpeg
deadspot or looseness..

I’ve been using this avatar for about a year....notice the “special edition” under vehicles. even funnier is I saw this add about 2 months ago and couldn’t resist copying it

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
At least you have a good dealer that is willing to work with you. Most don’t seem to care or won’t recognize there is a problem
whatever model you’re considering just be sure to go on a extended test drive. Pick a mild day with no wind. Daytime only. As I’m starting the shopping process, the plan is anything I find
That has the options I desire will get a 15 min. test. However, once I settle on a new one it will get an extended 1/2 hr test with about 10 freeway miles. Also considering asking for an
upgrade to some fox front end components right from the start. I would be glad to pay for the
dealer install and realignment before taking possession.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
You guys should try driving a 99-04 jeep grand cherokee and then talk about loose steering.
I had one, still much better than my JLR.

Glad you are driving in them all but the engine should have nothing to do with the steering. Comparing apples to oranges in my book. Decide which engine you want and then go drive all those. You will find good and bad in both the engines.
I agree entirely about it not being the engine, just stating my observations from the drives. I liked the 2.0 better than I thought I would. I’m not sending my acceptance of the decision right away to give me some time to figure things out. I do want to drive some more JLs.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m not 100% comfortable with the 2.0 turbo built overseas.
I’m reading posts on it now trying to decide if it’s another jeep Gamble.

any info is helpful.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
We drove and liked the turbo in the Cherokee (wife’s car) but we ended up going with the 6, I didn’t want to pay for premium gas cause I’m kind of a cheapskate. Defiantly had some pep from takeoff. While it’s not related to this at all...no steering play on the Cherokee lol.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Edited...cause well it didnt add anything worthy and i was extremely tired and decided it really doesn't matter..My bad

Drive your Wranglers on a extended test drive on multiple surfaces. Enjoy the drive no matter what you choose.

Last edited: