Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

JesseSC

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUW 4XE
Count me in as a member of the unfortunate group of JL owners who have steering issues.

I had the track bar and steering damper replaced (per TSB & the V41 recall) in my 2019 JLUR, the vehicle has been aligned four times by the dealer, and while it drives better it still pulls severely to the right - especially at highway speeds.

I’ve tried adjusting the air in the tires, rotating tires, etc. I’ve owned multiple generations of Wranglers and none of them had steering issues like this JL.

The dealer now suggests I do a ride along with the shop foreman. Wish me luck!

FYI, To date on the NHTSA website there are 197 steering complaints for the 2019 JL, and 770 steering complaints for the 2018 JL. That’s 960 people who have taken the time to file a complaint. I’d venture that the true number of affected vehicles is much higher.

I just filed my complaint. It took me five minutes, and all I needed was my VIN and then followed the steps to describe the steering issue I’m experiencing.
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Most likely another Wrangler after serious test driving. No ordering from factory.
As noted before - thoroughly test driving is the easiest way to dump a crap steering Jeep listed for sale. Many have reported some are good some are bad. For all years manufactured. We drove one with 5K miles and it was near perfect in every way. Took it off-road with the dealer - took it home on the hwy - and brought it back the next day. Steered perfectly. Negotiated a killer deal and drove it home. So very smart of you to do that. One less thing to be concerned about.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Count me in as a member of the unfortunate group of JL owners who have steering issues.

I had the track bar and steering damper replaced (per TSB & the V41 recall) in my 2019 JLUR, the vehicle has been aligned four times by the dealer, and while it drives better it still pulls severely to the right - especially at highway speeds.

I’ve tried adjusting the air in the tires, rotating tires, etc. I’ve owned multiple generations of Wranglers and none of them had steering issues like this JL.

The dealer now suggests I do a ride along with the shop foreman. Wish me luck!

FYI, To date on the NHTSA website there are 197 steering complaints for the 2019 JL, and 770 steering complaints for the 2018 JL. That’s 960 people who have taken the time to file a complaint. I’d venture that the true number of affected vehicles is much higher.

I just filed my complaint. It took me five minutes, and all I needed was my VIN and then followed the steps to describe the steering issue I’m experiencing.
Jesse, I’m sorry you’re dealing with this, too.

When you drive with the foreman, be careful of what they write on the receipt/service record. Check every page to make sure it’s accurate. Here’s why...

I drove my Jeep with the foreman and he saw me struggle with it to the point he wanted to drive it. He noticed it was different (without saying too much). I then drove a JLR off the lot and it was *much* better than mine and I made it quite clear to the foreman that was my observation. He didn’t drive the dealer JLR.

I didn’t notice until later that he wrote that my Jeep drove like the one off the lot! BS. The service manager backed him up when I asked about it much later.

So be sure to check that record.

Good luck.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much better than mine.

I'm not loving that red dash with the Hella Yella color, tho. Looks like a hot dog I get at the Giants games.
Haha! Yeah does clash a wee bit.

But insofar as steering ours is a bit tighter. On ours can take hands right off and it will track dead straight. If you wiggle left and right a total of an inch you can feel the Jeep lean each way. So does have some play but not much - its tracking sensitivity is actually quite high for a 4x4. Pretty much zero steering corrections are necessary - so less than shown in the vid. As noted we repeatedly punish our steering going over huge potholes and deep ruts on FSRs and the steering has stayed exactly the same. So ours is no garage queen mall crawler.

Compared to our other vehicles the Jeep steers perfectly for a 4x4. So probs what is shown in the vid should be a minimum acceptable standard. What the dealer says is often a bunch of propaganda BS. Even some online JL review vids have no clue and say sloppy steering is normal. So can see how this becomes acceptable and “normalized” into a “Jeep thing”.

Last edited:

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Like the engine sound. Glad you got a good one!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Haha! Yeah does clash a wee bit.

But insofar as steering ours is a bit tighter. On ours can take hands right off and it will track dead straight. If you wiggle left and right a total of an inch you can feel the Jeep lean each way. So does have some play but not much - its tracking sensitivity is actually quite high for a 4x4. Pretty much zero steering corrections are necessary - so less than shown in the vid. As noted we repeatedly punish our steering going over huge potholes and deep ruts on FSRs and the steering has stayed exactly the same. So ours is no garage queen mall crawler.

Compared to our other vehicles the Jeep steers perfectly for a 4x4. So probs what is shown in the vid should be a minimum acceptable standard. What the dealer says is often a bunch of propaganda BS. Even some online JL review vids have no clue and say sloppy steering is normal. So can see how this becomes acceptable and “normalized” into a “Jeep thing”.
That one in the video had more corrections than I would want (especially after dealing with mine). Having to constantly correct is exhausting, to the point that we don't take it anywhere we don't need to.

It's good to hear you have a good one—gives me hope that I can find a similar one :).

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That one in the video had more corrections than I would want (especially after dealing with mine). Having to constantly correct is exhausting, to the point that we don't take it anywhere we don't need to.

It's good to hear you have a good one—gives me hope that I can find a similar one :).
Yeah we lucked out. Actually when my wife drives it on punishing FSRs - I plead with her to slow down for fear she will knock the alignment out or cause some damage. Haha! She just loves blasting down them. As when it is aired down to 18 the suspension and tires swallow up the hits like no other 4x4.

But we get nothing. Back on the hwy it steers perfect. All we do is head over the dealer and rinse down the Jeep - especially thorough on the undersides. Mud gets everywhere and is super important to rinse off before it cakes and hardens into concrete.

Anyways good luck with another Jeep and hope you get a good copy this time.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I was showing my friend how ridiculous the steering was on my Jeep the other day. Made a few videos of the Jeep acting like a drunk 12 year old. I don’t really care at this point anymore, I just thought it was funny. I've learned to live with it. But also, fu@k you Jeep.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
RagTopDeluxe - if you are able to do the transaction anywhere, go to Roseville. They have been great with me. I am in the same boat...when mine arrives I am test driving and if it isn't driving near perfect...off I go and will get my money back and buy a Ford Raptor or something.
I'm up in North Auburn. I bought mine at Thompsons in Placerville, but the Auburn dealer is about 5 minutes from my house. I've been in the Auburn dealership once to talk to the service rep and got a horrible vibe. Then I've been there twice to buy oil filters. And the parts kid was pretty cool, but everyone else was snarky. Then the other day I went in to look at a 2 door soft top. I walked around for about 10 minutes trying to find one, went inside and not a single person ever approached me! They had no idea if I was a customer or not. I just got avoided. Couldn't make eye contact with anyone. I have no doubt that they will be a "it's a jeep thing" dealership.
Have you been into the Roseville dealership for service yet? Just wondering if they are any good?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
That’s same as mine does all the time
It’s exhausting to drive and they should replace it for you

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I was showing my friend how ridiculous the steering was on my Jeep the other day. Made a few videos of the Jeep acting like a drunk 12 year old. I don’t really care at this point anymore, I just thought it was funny. I've learned to live with it. But also, fu@k you Jeep.

Holy Shit...I have not seen it that bad ever. You sir win the "The Jeep takes you where it wants" award! DAMN!!!!!!!

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Just tighten the damn steering screw man! You are a masochist!