jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
hey what a surprise my local dealer said the trackbar tsb doesn't apply to me because i put 35's on my jeep. even though my wife's jeep with the same exact tires (and new trackbar pn due to newer build date) drives fine with little to no wandering.
Sheesh, what a-holes. You could do what I did: find someone pulling their trackbar off a new Jeep and buy it off them for $20. Twenty minute install. Found mine on Craigslist.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I didn't realize this was a thing on the JLs too? I should have guessed since I'm sure they use the same steering box. Hopefully you all are logging the problems with the NHTSA and DOT. That's the only way Jeep will be forced to fix them. I'm coming over here from the JT Gladiator side. Same problems. Good news is some of the dealers are acknowledging there is a problem, and of course some aren't. There have been enough people now that have driven both "good" and "bad" JTs. And from what I can tell it's not an either/or...it's an area of grey. Meaning the amount of slop in the steering box can vary from OK to very bad and everywhere in between. For those of us that have driven Jeeps or solid front axles vehicles pretty much our whole driving lives...this is NOT normal for a solid axle or any vehicle for that matter.

File a complaint with the NHTSA

Phone number and info for filing a complaint with the DOT
Thanks for the DOT number.

FCA does not care. They say since you’re driving it, there’s “no loss of value, use, or safety.”

BS.

It’s more than the steering box, tho. I have the PSC Overlander kit and still have a wandering Jeep that requires corrections. I’m looking into what to do next, but my patience and wallet are wearing thin.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have an 2018 JLU Sahara an posted way back in 2018 about my problems. Fought with FCA for months and got no where. Finally the TSB for the track bar came out and I had it done yesterday. They also replaced the steering Stabilizer for the 3rd time.

I have to say it is better. Still a dead spot but the jeep fells quicker on the turn and more planted in a turn.

Fingers crossed FCA continues to figure out the issue and replace whatever is wrong.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Fingers crossed FCA continues to figure out the issue and replace whatever is wrong.
If the fix was inexpensive I think they would have gotten on top of this by by now. My hunch is that the chassis mounting points for the steering box and track rod may be flexing on SOME vehicles. If your steering is set up nicely it's barely noticeable, but if the alignment is off and the wheels are inclined to flip/flop over centre then it exacerbates the issue. If you throw in a poorly adjusted steering box to give a loosey goosey feel at the steering wheel then the whole thing becomes a hot mess.

The steering box is a relatively straight forward swap out, but beefing up the chassis mounting points is a harder remedial fix unless you start welding extra things in place.

Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
@GeeBee

What are you getting to replace the Jeep Gus?
Hi John,

That's classified, don't want to draw any flack or put this thread onto another tangent ;)

All I'll say is it's definitely not the new LR Defender, as my one experience of being an early adopter ended pretty badly and I don't want a repeat performance. It's going to be models that are in at least their 3rd year of production from this point onward :like:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hi John,

That's classified, don't want to draw any flack or put this thread onto another tangent ;)

All I'll say is it's definitely not the new LR Defender, as my one experience of being an early adopter ended pretty badly and I don't want a repeat performance. It's going to be models that are in at least their 3rd year of production from this point onward :like:
Ok, fair enough, I just wondered if it might be the Defender.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize this was a thing on the JLs too? I should have guessed since I'm sure they use the same steering box. Hopefully you all are logging the problems with the NHTSA and DOT. That's the only way Jeep will be forced to fix them. I'm coming over here from the JT Gladiator side. Same problems. Good news is some of the dealers are acknowledging there is a problem, and of course some aren't. There have been enough people now that have driven both "good" and "bad" JTs. And from what I can tell it's not an either/or...it's an area of grey. Meaning the amount of slop in the steering box can vary from OK to very bad and everywhere in between. For those of us that have driven Jeeps or solid front axles vehicles pretty much our whole driving lives...this is NOT normal for a solid axle or any vehicle for that matter.

File a complaint with the NHTSA

Phone number and info for filing a complaint with the DOT
Welp, this answers my question about what to do with my Rubicon after my lease is up. Trading for a Gladiator was towards the top of my list, but is slowly sinking to the bottom now. Yes, FCA is "acknowledging" the problem we're all having, but acknowledging and correcting are two different things. Since mine is a lease, spending $4-5k to attempt to fix the steering issues is not an option. I don't even know if I'd be willing to throw that kind of money at it if it was bought. If it wasn't for my lease, I probably would have already traded it in by now.

The sad truth is that this is my first Wrangler and now I can't wait to get rid of it. A Raptor is looking more and more promising...

Sponsored

Streetrodder

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Welp, this answers my question about what to do with my Rubicon after my lease is up. Trading for a Gladiator was towards the top of my list, but is slowly sinking to the bottom now. Yes, FCA is "acknowledging" the problem we're all having, but acknowledging and correcting are two different things. Since mine is a lease, spending $4-5k to attempt to fix the steering issues is not an option. I don't even know if I'd be willing to throw that kind of money at it if it was bought. If it wasn't for my lease, I probably would have already traded it in by now.

The sad truth is that this is my first Wrangler and now I can't wait to get rid of it. A Raptor is looking more and more promising...
Steering is not my problem any more! Just wanna jump in and let ya’ll know. I purchased 2020 JLUR put 10 miles on it and it was the worst vehicle I’ve ever purchased in my life, all over the road, I even had a sheriff stop me to see if I had been drinking. I went back to the the dealer “Wallace Jeep Ram, in Stuart Fl.“ Their answer was “what do you want from us we dont manufacture them!” Then the Sales manager said I could trade it back in on a Ram or another Jeep and I would lose $2500, plus I would have to pay the $799 dealer and additional filing fee again! Then he tells me another option is that after 3 service appointments you can file under the Lemon Law. What a bunch of BS! I’ve owned so many Jeeps in the past 30 years I can’t begin to count them. The last before this disaster was a 2016 JK 4” MOPAR lift with 35’s and it drove better than this POS that had an MSRP of $54K. I took my JLUNK with 370 miles on it to a Ford Dealer in Tampa and traded it towards a 2020 Raptor Crew Cab. Good riddance to the POS!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Wish there was a fix, but sadly there is not. Some have had degrees of success with various after market parts and if any one item proved helpful we could all jump on board. there seems to be various problems such a wobbles, loose steering and wandering off track. Some folks have all, some only one of the issues.
the dealers can acknowledge the issue, but have zero authority or direction from FCA on what to do. While I don’t completely blame them I do feel they as a collective have not put the proper pressure on FCA.
I wish I had a lease ,but I own it outright. 100% paid for. I would turn it in in a heartbeat for one that drove correctly. Many..actually most of the JLs do drive correctly. I have driven many jeeps in my years and this is by far the worst. I tested 3 other 2019 JLs a few weeks back and they all drove effortlessly. Other than the poor steering , I love the wrangler.

many on this board will say it’s all imagination or just the way they all are. I only wish I could allow them to have the pleasure of driving mine for a bit, it would change their tune pretty fast.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Okay...been a while since I read the posts, but the last 3-5 pages all i can say is wow...some ppl on this forum think HIGHLY mighty of themselves and talk as if they are some sort of Jeep God Expert of All things Jeep.
Let me set the story straight...for all those in here complaining about wandering steering and pulling,,,it isn't a Jeep thang. It isn't a fixed axle thing. It isn't a never owned a Jeep before thing. It isn't a high expectation thing. It isn't a doesn't/shouldn't drive like a car thing. NO..so just stop with all the hate writing and making others on this forum post feel like a POS!!

I have owned 4 Jeeps in my life time...the last being a 2014 4-door Rubicon Hard Rock. Loved it!! I can tell you in the 6 years I owned it, never once did I ever think or feel that the way it drove had any problems tracking, steering, loose, pulling etc...it drove straight as an arrow hands free down the same roads I have driven for 15 years. This is before and after any and all mods I did to this Jeep including larger tires and such.
Then came the 2020 JLU Rubicon. The day I took delivery I noticed how it kept wanting to pull to the right. I could visibly see my steering wheel turn to the right when I let go of the wheel going at nearly any speed above 35mph and of course even more noticeable at higher freeway speeds. Constant correcting just to stay centered in the lane IS NOT RIGHT!! It has NOTHING to do with being a Jeep.

So, what changed since 2014 - EVERYTHING related to the front end
1.) 2018 was the first year they changed to the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering. In my opinion, this was and always has been the cause of many of the problems we now have, and it happens to coincide with the year MOST of these problems started being reported. The reason for this change all had to do with EPA mileage...anything they could do to shave costs and add 1-2 mpg.
2.) Lower quality parts for things like the LCA, bushings, and parts in general to lower costs...same thing...lower costs, lower body weight..higher MPG
3.) Manufacturing QC also seem to go down with inferior welds, mismatch springs, etc..

So, without belaboring this topic too much longer, I hope my GRAMMAR was acceptable to the much more superior grammar Nazi out there that felt the need to belittle someone, and to the others that recently commented and feel the need to belittle anyone else here that is simply trying to either find comfort in numbers or posting help requests for the first time - just stop and make people feel welcomed! It's not helpful and believe me...you contribute nothing other than hearing/seeing/reading your own gibberish to make you feel important...you aren't! Jeep communities across the US are tight, and we should stick together, If you feel like you need to be a troll, go to an online gaming forum and kick little kids around.

For the rest of us, I wish all of you Jeep owners that have this problem my sincere hope that 2020 will bring about some answers for all of us patient enough to wait or those who are at their wits ends. Not all the solutions posted here will fix your problem and not all the problems posted here are exactly the same, but all in all, we appreciate your ongoing support, ideas, and help! Someone will read these, and someone will take action and find a solution. I hope it will happen before someone gets seriously injured. As for me - I am awaiting a brand new built as ordered 2020 to arrive to replace my current 2020 and I will be right back here to let you know if a newly built one still has the same problem(s).

Good luck all!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
thanks for your post, it says what many of us here feel.

And now there are reported incidents and 2 deaths.
E471AA57-62E6-413B-8088-2301D6D4A194.png

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Thanks for the DOT number.

FCA does not care. They say since you’re driving it, there’s “no loss of value, use, or safety.”

BS.

It’s more than the steering box, tho. I have the PSC Overlander kit and still have a wandering Jeep that requires corrections. I’m looking into what to do next, but my patience and wallet are wearing thin.
Is it possible your axels may be misaligned, deformed. It may also be that your frame could possibly be bent or welded improperly? Misaligned parts bad welds can cause issues with how a vehicle handles. I mean FCA like most companies out sourced all these things and there were a small number that had frame weld issue on the early JL's. It may be possible you got a dud frame and i would seek a 4x4 shop/frame bodyshop with Jeep knowledge have them diagnose it. Most charge a small fee some may not charge u at all. Based on how cheap the frontend parts they replaced on mine i wouldn't put it past the frame being warped bad axel ect. Just thoughts on helping you seek a fix..

I would have your dealer salesman pull your car fax and see what all it list on it or pay the way to dang high price an pull it yourself. Every time you have had your wrangler in service for a oil changes, recalls or TSBs,repairs it will give brief summary of it on that report. Get your Jeeps current value wholesale and retail maybe that could help your case prove loss of value i know what mine is and well it was way lower than my JK was in the first year? Seems the JL's are not the resale kings like the JK's are. Dang i miss my JK lol

Frustration sucks I know when all you want is it fixed right as do I and everyone else with warranty issues they refuse to fix. Unlike you i have refused to Fix FCA's QC mexican/Chinese Junk with my own money. I've also come to peace with it all and i really don't care about my jeeps issues now or care to share them further. My Jeep fanboy Kool aide and give a crap is all out. I would try to seek the best solution for your needs and budget.. Best of luck hope you find a resolution soon
Sponsored

Last edited: