Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I totally understand what you're saying. throwing enough money at anything will make it awesome but I own a Sport S. I just want it to work well. I didn't buy a $60K Jeep with plans to put $20K more into it. I bought as much Jeep as I can afford with the intentions of just taking the top and doors off exactly like i did with my 2006 Wrangler X. I can't afford to put a 5k lump sum into making it work how it should when it's new which is why i'm just living with it for now. I guess I should have said. "getting rid of the Jeep is the only way to solve the issue for people that aren't willing to spend another 5k on top of what they have already paid and hoping that whatever replacement parts they install fixed the particular issue and at the same time voiding the entire warranty and still owning a vehicle from a company that has treated customers like complete crap. "
while I donā€™t agree with fixing FCAs problem, some folks have fixed their issue with a lot less money. Aftermarket track bar and longer Mopar LCAs would probably cost you less than a monthly payment for the Jeep. If it were me, Iā€™d try the simple stuff first as frustrating as that would be and if it went beyond that, consider my next steps.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Not exactly true. You can throw money at it and make it great, not just ā€œacceptableā€. Mine is now awesome. I love the Jeep and the only thing that was wrong was the steering. For far less then the bath you will take you CAN actually make it great.
I have $4,500 into my steering and itā€™s still horrible. Sadly.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have $4,500 into my steering and itā€™s still horrible. Sadly.
Yeah I have read your posts. I have refrained from commenting but sadly I think you have something else going wrong like the install was bad, bad alignment or something. No way after those components it can still be bad. I also think you are misconstruing the ā€œlightnessā€ of the steering as bad. Yes it is lighter because the PSC unit is high powered to accept modified Jeeps with heavy tires and components etc. It is like over kill if you would so yes you have to get used to the lightness of the drive. Mine was light but the dead spot was gone and it did not wander. With the PSC and a proper alignment IMO no way can it still wander and have a dead spot. In my case I took away more of the lightness because I went heavy duty on all the steering parts and took out all the lightweight flimsy stock stuff. I am also running a wheel and tire that weighs 117lbs.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That's really the only solution that makes sense. throwing money at the Jeep is never going to make it right. I'm probably going to do the same i'm just putting it off until I can afford to take the bath on the trade in. People have gotten to where they have spent a ton of money and made their jeeps "acceptable." I'm just kind of living with mine for now until I get more energy to make another move. Not one person has found an actual answer to why these things don't work right and @JeepCares is actively helping dealers cover it up/deny claims. What is hilarious is now there are people that don't even have steering issues commenting saying that Jeeps aren't even supposed to be suitable for road use. Now THAT goes beyond kool aid drinking into skinned knee territory.
Regardless of any of the assertions that this is primarily an off-road vehicle, I still think that any passenger vehicle with a wheel on all four corners and a 50k+ price tag should handle with confidence in stock form. Particularly one that was designed from scratch in the last four years and is targeted at customers that are going to use it on the road for at least 90% of the time.

The JL was perfect for my family's regular hiking and camping trips, but it was a pig to drive into work during the week and that's what eventually killed the relationship for me. Keeping up with the rest of traffic was mentally taxing and sucked all the fun out of driving it - I knew things were going bad when I realized each time the JL was back at the dealers I was in no hurry to hand back the loaner :CWL:

Anyway, it was all good experience and I'm a wiser man because of it. I'll bow out with a quote from one of our fellow posters (here's looking at you @KnG818, thanks for all the lols):

'You sound dumber than a bag of rocks, get lost Jeep don't want people like you.'

:)

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Regardless of any of the assertions that this is primarily an off-road vehicle, I still think that any passenger vehicle with a wheel on all four corners and a 50k+ price tag should handle with confidence in stock form. Particularly one that was designed from scratch in the last four years and is targeted at customers that are going to use it on the road for at least 90% of the time.

The JL was perfect for my family's regular hiking and camping trips, but it was a pig to drive into work during the week and that's what eventually killed the relationship for me. Keeping up with the rest of traffic was mentally taxing and sucked all the fun out of driving it - I knew things were going bad when I realized each time the JL was back at the dealers I was in no hurry to hand back the loaner :CWL:

Anyway, it was all good experience and I'm a wiser man because of it. I'll bow out with a quote from one of our fellow posters (here's looking at you @KnG818, thanks for all the lols):

'You sound dumber than a bag of rocks, get lost Jeep don't want people like you.'

:)
Let me ask you a question...

Have you ever rode a 4 wheeler(a quad/ATV)?? Or a solid axle side-by-side(such as a Polaris utility vehicle)??

Have you ever driven an ATV or side-by-side on pavement and taken a turn or corner?? They ride like drunken sailors.

Wranglers are built very similarly. Of course some differences, but overall built very much the same.

If you dont understand what a Jeep Wrangler is, then you will never understand that the steering on a Wrangler is characteristic.

You dont know what your talking about.

What Jeep has done with the JL and its on-road manurism's(as well as off road) is phenomenal compared to previous models.

My comment that you quoted stands true - Im sure Jeep and Jeep owners are sick of people like yourself smearing the Wrangler over something that is perfectly normal.

And yes, I know...the "recalls". Those recalls are attempts to keep folks like you "pleased".....Kinda like sticking a pacifier in a crying babies mouth.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Some of us want answers to legitimate questions. The JL I just paid over $60k for handles like a hog on the highway, and that is unacceptable.
:CWL::CWL:

Its a Wrangler....they handle like hogs.

You people are hilarious.

"We want answers!!"....LOL!!!

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab

I'm not surprised why people quit discussing issues (perceived or otherwise) on these boards and go elsewhere when they get constantly trolled. It's more tiresome than the complaints.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Backstory with update:

JL was all over the road at any speed over 40mph. Under 40 it handled well enough to manage around town. After a near-death experience on I-81 at approximately 65mph, I found this forum and started researching the problem.

Installed Terraflex Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer today, set for FIRM. Took tire pressure down to 32psi cold.

Significant improvement. Able to get to 65mph with one-handed steering on good pavement.

Will have alignment and toe checked tomorrow.
Some of us want answers to legitimate questions. The JL I just paid over $60k for handles like a hog on the highway, and that is unacceptable.
So which is it ā€˜significant improvementā€™ or ā€˜handles like a hogā€™?

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2-door 3.6L
So which is it ā€˜significant improvementā€™ or ā€˜handles like a hogā€™?
Both.

I got my answers before the mouth breathers with their laughable grammar descended. If you write like a moron, good chances youā€™re a moron.

Many thanks particularly to Goin2drt for his council.

Sponsored

rutiger

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon, others
hey what a surprise my local dealer said the trackbar tsb doesn't apply to me because i put 35's on my jeep. even though my wife's jeep with the same exact tires (and new trackbar pn due to newer build date) drives fine with little to no wandering.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Correct me if I'm mistaken, isn't that TSB just a flash for the steering box ?

rutiger

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon, others
Correct me if I'm mistaken, isn't that TSB just a flash for the steering box ?
trackbar tsb is a new part number. i checked on our 19's. mine was built in nov 18 with old/affected part number. her's was built in apr 19 and has the new/fixed? part number.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
So because you have larger tires, which is encouraged for these vehicles, including by FCA/Mopar, you don't qualify to have the upgrade that fixes a known steering issue....

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR, ā€˜06 LX 100-series

You don't have a problem, great. Other people do. I've driven and owned the types of vehicles you described. There is something wrong with the steering in my JL. There is a dead spot at the top of the steering.
Sponsored