Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I still don't know why someone can't take a JL with NO Steering Issues and one with Noticeable Steering Issues and fully inspect them both and see what the differences are in parts and software....maybe even a few different JLs (with and without issues) to fully "diagnose" what the issue(s) is/are ......I guess unless there are some good and some faulty steering boxes out there and it's more of an internal components issue....at least we'd know that it is definitely the steering box or some specific part (drag link, tie rod, etc)..

I know I'm not the first to think of this.....Someone earlier mentioned it. I think there was a removed Steering Box that was going to be inspected after that person installed a PSC Upgrade.....Did that ever get done ?
Last week I did get a steering gearbox (AC version) from a generous member who had a PSC kit installed. I have not had a chance to dig into it yet, but I plan to. Been busy with travel, holidays, and family.

I need to see if I can find a way to jig it up reliably and also measure the really low torque values that Jeep specs for dealers to inspect the boxes. I plan to inspect it as it was removed from the Jeep at a few temperatures, record torque and lash. After that I want to understand the ratio of play to sector shaft adjustment.

Sorry, all this might take a while, but I'll report hear as soon as I get going.
Sponsored

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
Why is it that I keep reading that many JLs are being delivered with tires that are WAY over inflated and that also need an alignment ?
Especially foreign manufactured vehicles, they have to sit on cargo ships and lots for a long period of time, and they want to avoid dead spots on tire. My dealer”s delivery checklist has “adjust tire pressure to recommended psi”

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
I agree I was going to wait and see what the new Bronco looks like but I seriously don't feel safe driving in snow and icy conditions.
Same here, If the 2020 Bronco looks nice and more importantly drives nice, I'll be trading in my 2018 JL Rubicon. It's a damn shame to because this Wrangler was my last Jeep, I was taking it into retirement with me. But 5 trips to 3 different dealers with no help and I'm done. I have improved the steering and wandering on my own with aftermarket equipment ( track bar, Dyna Pro Sport Lift ) but this thing just does not feel right. It drives and handles much better, but it still does not feel solid or planted. If had to make a emergency lane change I would probably loose control. I'm a little surprised that no one has had an accident yet.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Same here, If the 2020 Bronco looks nice and more importantly drives nice, I'll be trading in my 2018 JL Rubicon. It's a damn shame to because this Wrangler was my last Jeep, I was taking it into retirement with me. But 5 trips to 3 different dealers with no help and I'm done. I have improved the steering and wandering on my own with aftermarket equipment ( track bar, Dyna Pro Sport Lift ) but this thing just does not feel right. It drives and handles much better, but it still does not feel solid or planted. If had to make a emergency lane change I would probably loose control. I'm a little surprised that no one has had an accident yet.
It's possible that some have had accidents and didn't live to tell about it.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I picked up my 2020 JLUR last month. It had the dead spot and wandering issues. After reducing the tire pressure to what is stated on the vehicle and having the dealer fix the alignment (See attachment) the problems are largely gone. I feel like I am driving a "normal" car. Does it handle like a sedan, no, but I can drive it now without having to concentrate on driving.
Will the dealer perform alignment for free if I complain about steering?

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Southjl

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler Sahara limited
Yup it’s 100% tire pressure. I’ll never forget picking up my JKU and driving it home two hours and it being all over the place. Dropped the PSI to 32 and it was worlds better.
Did your old JKU have 33's on it? The lager sidewalls will flex a bit causing slight drifting. At least thats what I have noticed with running 35's on my JK.

Southjl

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler Sahara limited
This is my first Wrangler, a JL, and I feel like the steering is slightly loose like my early 2000's Grand Cherokee. My most recent vehicle, an F-150, had what I would consider pretty tight steering for a truck. That said, I have driven the JL for 3 weeks/700 miles and have adjusted to the steering. It does tighten up and require less input above 70 mph.
Had same issue - dealer swapped steering dampener. Didn’t help. Took back to dealer to diagnose. They held it for 2 days and said no issue. Took to 4WD shop - faulty tie rod ends and replaced track bar that also had worn bushings. Cheap components from factory.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just added the last bits to have a fully aftermarket suspension and steering and the Jeep drives like a dream. I feel (could be in my head) that it fined tuned it even better. The bumps on the highway felt so smooth and it did make the steering feel a little "heavier" in a good way.

I spent a lot of money that FCA should have given me this type of driving machine off the lot, but they didn't and now I can enjoy the beast for years to come and probably it will handle a lot more trail beatings than stock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Goin,

Can you list all the parts you upgraded ? Also, What Steering Box Version do you have and when was yours built ?

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve been following this topic since long before I ordered my 2020 JLUR.

Here’s an experiment. I just videoed my wife driving our Wrangler at ~82mph on I-70 just west of the Colorado/Kansas border:

The highway here has lots of patches and is in generally poor shape, but it’s dead straight and there little to no crown as best I can tell.

For those of you who do and do not have the “steering issue”, how does your experience differ from the posted video?

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
A lot of variables at play, but I think mine was worse, with constant micro adjustments on straight roads. I had 2-3" of play left to right of center.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I am brand new to this issue and contemplating a JL or JT. Is the problem still present on more recent vehicles off the line? Is it seen on both JLs and JTs?
Sponsored