Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Reno Wrangler

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I picked up my 2020 JLUR last month. It had the dead spot and wandering issues. After reducing the tire pressure to what is stated on the vehicle and having the dealer fix the alignment (See attachment) the problems are largely gone. I feel like I am driving a "normal" car. Does it handle like a sedan, no, but I can drive it now without having to concentrate on driving.
Sponsored

Attachments

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Why is it that I keep reading that many JLs are being delivered with tires that are WAY over inflated and that also need an alignment ?

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
FCA has no intention of having a recall. As stated before in these threads it would be to expensive to replace gear boxes. They have gone down the path of individual lawsuits and found it cheaper. As long as Jeep sales are great, no cause for concern. It is true that out of the number of JL's sold, only a very small percentage have issues, thus cheaper to do lawsuits. I do not have that option because I received employee discount and signed off that I would not invoke lemon law. Dealers are now ordered to only do required actions or they will not get paid. I have a rough idle at certain times and loud cooling fans at max air position, because my VIN says it doesn't apply they will not flash computer, they tell me all updates are in computer. Also look how many owners that have been on these threads, who have given up and traded to something different. I don't have it in me to argue with dealer anymore and that's what FCA is banking on. Maybe by the time I reach a 100,00 miles I will have it fixed. Back in 2009 when we bought our JK Sahara things seemed to be different. Dealer seemed to care if you had issues and resolve them, but now the bean counters run the show, the hell with customer service. I have on my own dime replaced lower control arms and track bar. Dealer has only done an alignment. I would say that it is better as far as wandering but only 50%.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Why is it that I keep reading that many JLs are being delivered with tires that are WAY over inflated and that also need an alignment ?
I don’t know about “way” over inflated but it does seem like they are coming from the factory in the low 40’s (41/42). Two schools of thought:

1) they don’t want vehicles sitting on dealer lots for some period of time and losing air ..... so they over inflate. This doesn’t feel right to me.
2) they tested the vehicle for the official MPG tests at 41 (to get slightly better mileage numbers) and therefore need to ship them that way. This feels more plausible to me.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
So if it comes down to the Steering Gear Box, and some work great, while others are terrible, it ends up being a quality control for some defective parts internally ? So, its basically hit or miss ?....Although I have also read that some of the JLs start out with NO issues at all and after about 5000 miles (I may be incorrect on the mileage) they then start to have issues...

I'd also be interested if someone had a service manager at some dealership that was willing to update the new AE box and if it doesn't fix the issue, try another (different AE Box) and keep trying different ones, until they locate an AE Box with NO issues....IF THAT takes care of ALL steering issues, and nothing else is changed, there is the proof .....THEN maybe the internal parts could be examined and corrected/updated so that the newest ones have NO faulty parts internally.

It does seem that there are or at least were some issues with the initial quality of the track bars/bushings.... I think all current assembly line JLs have THOSE parts upgraded which helps isolate the issue.....

With 2 JLs that are fresh off the assembly line, SAME vehicle (model/options, etc) with ALL the current TSBs and newest model (upgraded) parts from the recalls, If one has NO steering issues and the other is terrible, I'd love to see JUST the Steering Gear Boxes SWAPPED and then drive them again......
Wow that would be asking a lot!! But FCA doesn't give a shit so it won't happen. The dealerships definitely do not care and just want you out of their face as fast as possible. Gotta tow the corporate line, deny, deny, deny!!
Merry Xmas everyone.

Fuck you FCA!!

Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Loose steering is a misadjusted steering gear lash...

Something you can fix in 10 min 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn.

Do it and stop complaining...

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Did it last year, didn't fix it.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase

Got to be careful with the adjustment. Too much and the gears will bind. Not good if you're turning or going around a curve.

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Sick of the wandering issue. I'm sure at some point this winter I'm going to spin out. I'm trading it in on Thursday for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad. I can't wait. I will miss the interior of the Jeep but it is not worth the hassle of the constant corrections while driving. Later Fiat. You will never see me again.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Sick of the wandering issue. I'm sure at some point this winter I'm going to spin out. I'm trading it in on Thursday for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad. I can't wait. I will miss the interior of the Jeep but it is not worth the hassle of the constant corrections while driving. Later Fiat. You will never see me again.
I can’t say I blame you and wish there was another convertible SUV.

Sponsored

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
I can’t say I blame you and wish there was another convertible SUV.
I agree I was going to wait and see what the new Bronco looks like but I seriously don't feel safe driving in snow and icy conditions.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I agree I was going to wait and see what the new Bronco looks like but I seriously don't feel safe driving in snow and icy conditions.
We won’t be taking mine to the snow, or anywhere else for that matter for the same reason. I drive it to work and that’s it. Anything beyond that we take my husband’s car, which will not see snow.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
My faith is definitely getting tested.

After 7 visits for steering the gear was replaced in mine. Down to some “More manageable” wondering. This whole thing is making me not trust my Wrangler or the fixes. When I dropped this kind of money, I did not think I would be part of R and D. Some of my problems returned over time, so after warranty what are they going to say of the issues return. 22k in, looking for ways out.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My faith is definitely getting tested.

After 7 visits for steering the gear was replaced in mine. Down to some “More manageable” wondering. This whole thing is making me not trust my Wrangler or the fixes. When I dropped this kind of money, I did not think I would be part of R and D. Some of my problems returned over time, so after warranty what are they going to say of the issues return. 22k in, looking for ways out.
Seven visits? Wow. I am sorry that you are having this problem.

I am curious though: when did the wander first surface? Right away or after some number of miles/time?

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Seven visits? Wow. I am sorry that you are having this problem.

I am curious though: when did the wander first surface? Right away or after some number of miles/time?
Well, I’m joining the club. Just dropped the JL off for its Weld Recall inspection, the “Lights on” alarm while the engine is running flash, and the dead spot/ play in the steering wheel.

I’ve waited 3000miles hoping a solution would be had by now, but since there is not I figure I better start documenting it with the dealer.

Of course, when I called an asked if they were aware a problem with the steering in some JL’s, they were not.
I was at 3k my first visit, but dealt with it for a while, think it started about 1k in. Here’s my first post about it in this thread.

One of the guys on here suggested the longer LCAs that might be next, but only if FCA covers it.
Sponsored