Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
My dealer said the same. That's when I started looking for something else, and discovered a HYDRAULIC REPLACEMENT. Loving the way it steers now.
Are you referring to the PSC kit? If so, is the play in the steering wheel completely gone or close to it? Also, how does highway driving feel with it?
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Damn. Are you serious? I called Preston and the best they would do for me was $2217, not including the tazer.

:angry:
Super glad to see that you finally got your Jeep back to the way it should be.

Did this solve the wandering as well as the looseness in the steering ?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Super glad to see that you finally got your Jeep back to the way it should be.

Did this solve the wandering as well as the looseness in the steering ?
Funny you should ask.

As I mentioned above, the lighter steering feel surprised me because I was expecting it to feel more firm and I still have to do some corrections while driving. The play is gone, thank goodness, but it still doesn’t feel right to me.

My husband drove it for the first time today and he said the wandering was bad. He does not like driving my Jeep at all. Still. His JK drove much better than my JL.

I have been trying to figure out what was bothering about the steering and I think he’s correct.

So now what? I was thinking about replacing the drag link, but am now wondering about getting adjustable LCAs. (I have the Mopar lift LCAs that brought my caster to 6*.) I’m so frustrated with this Jeep. I love it, but it’s been seven months of frustration and $4,500—and counting—just to get that steering sorted out. I was really hoping the PSC kit would be the final mod, but this Jeep isn’t taking us anywhere, so what’s the point?

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I took mine in to replace the steering dampener under the recall (was busted too, I must have damaged it on a trail at some point).

Right now I am pleased with how the steering is.
Is far more rigid, does not shake/"wabble"/oscillate anymore and seems like the play is reduced as well.

It tracks straight.

I don't think it can get better than this considering is a car with a solid axel.

I will probably consider an adjustable steering dampener when I install tie rod, relocation bracket and so on.

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Funny you should ask.

As I mentioned above, the lighter steering feel surprised me because I was expecting it to feel more firm and I still have to do some corrections while driving. The play is gone, thank goodness, but it still doesn’t feel right to me.

My husband drove it for the first time today and he said the wandering was bad. He does not like driving my Jeep at all. Still. His JK drove much better than my JL.

I have been trying to figure out what was bothering about the steering and I think he’s correct.

So now what? I was thinking about replacing the drag link, but am now wondering about getting adjustable LCAs. (I have the Mopar lift LCAs that brought my caster to 6*.) I’m so frustrated with this Jeep. I love it, but it’s been seven months of frustration and $4,500—and counting—just to get that steering sorted out. I was really hoping the PSC kit would be the final mod, but this Jeep isn’t taking us anywhere, so what’s the point?
I have no experience with PSC but if you are too the point of replacing three box you might want to try and reduce the play with the adjustment screw/bolt.

I think there is so much play in there box to avoid dead wobble.
They rely on steering box play and a stiff steering dampener so the oscillation does not work it's way back to the steering.
The cons is that play when going straight.

That's my only explanation.
Is a simple steering system.

Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have no experience with PSC but if you are too the point of replacing three box you might want to try and reduce the play with the adjustment screw/bolt.

They rely on steering box play and a stiff steering dampener so the oscillation does not work it's way back to the steering.

I would do this as well before replacing the steering box... nothing to lose and at least for me 100% solves the problem althought I believe a loose steering box would be more prone to death wobble.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

I already have the PSC kit installed, which took care of the 3" play in the steering. I didn't want to adjust the screw in the OEM box because I didn't want to take the chance of it acting unpredictably in the mountains in the snow. Not worth it to me.

I just ordered adjustable LCAs to give me more caster.

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I already have the PSC kit installed, which took care of the 3" play in the steering. I didn't want to adjust the screw in the OEM box because I didn't want to take the chance of it acting unpredictably in the mountains in the snow. Not worth it to me.

I just ordered adjustable LCAs to give me more caster.
Yes, I agree and it is possible that it becomes unstable of you mess with it.

I am glad PSC works for you.

Did you get the box with Hydro assist or not?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Going from 3” of play down to minimal is a huge improvement. You’re this far into it so you might as well add the LCA’s to the mix.
So glad it helped get you back rolling a bit better. I thought of doing the PSC after the legal crap is over but honestly I have no real play in the steering. If I move the wheel the jeep responds accordingly. If it stopped the wandering I would invest in it, but all reports seem to say it doesn’t really help that issue.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2814031C-388A-496A-9F00-498DA5EB2F3E.jpeg

Saw this and had to laugh since it fits my jeep description so perfectly. Wish it was a JL picture in the add.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Going from 3” of play down to minimal is a huge improvement. You’re this far into it so you might as well add the LCA’s to the mix.
So glad it helped get you back rolling a bit better. I thought of doing the PSC after the legal crap is over but honestly I have no real play in the steering. If I move the wheel the jeep responds accordingly. If it stopped the wandering I would invest in it, but all reports seem to say it doesn’t really help that issue.
I sure hope the LCAs are the last thing, but I can see replacing the drag link and tie rod to finish it off.

I’m so unbelievably tired of this saga.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Yes, I agree and it is possible that it becomes unstable of you mess with it.

I am glad PSC works for you.

Did you get the box with Hydro assist or not?
I got the Overlander kit and no hydro assist because I’m running stock tires for now and will go 35s at the most.

Deadserial

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU sting gray sport s
I got the Overlander kit and no hydro assist because I’m running stock tires for now and will go 35s at the most.
what is your toe in set to? I’d run it at .5” and see if that helps. 6 degrees of caster should be plenty.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
I have a question about LCAs. Do longer LCAs (more caster) have a positive, negative or no impact on deadspots? I've read differing opinions. I was originally @ ~ 3" of deadspot and I now have it down to ~ 1/2".
Sponsored