Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
ALL of this! Anything short of the PSC option is just throwing parts.

It seems there is a lot of variability with the amount of wander posters are experiencing which may help to explain reports of success with replacing parts vs others realizing no benefit. My Jeep seems to be significantly tighter than the average. I have no reason to believe my issue is with any of the linkage. Without a doubt the issue is the steering box and/or electronics.

Iā€™ve made 3 payments. Iā€™m trying to be patient as thereā€™s nothing else I really want to own, but I wonā€™t make it to #13 without a factory solution. There are way too many little concerns about long term quality to forego the warranty or give FCA any reason to wiggle out.

Agree. Im all for the kit if you got the funds or are past the point of no return. For me I was not. I had some concerns waiting it out. Mostly me not trusting the FCA. Hear rumors of only recalling certain models or build dates etc. And I considered the PCS option but then it wouldn't be warrantied etc. which for me personally was part of getting a new vehicle. I will be looking at the replacements this weekend into next week. But in the back of my mind I worry about it showing up later down the road even if it drives fine now.
Sponsored

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR, ā€˜06 LX 100-series
it wouldn't be warrantied etc. which for me personally was part of getting a new vehicle.
Completely understand. I bought a clean 100-series LX just before I got the JL. I really wanted a like-new LJ, but I thought owning two out of warranty, 14yr old cars would not be a good idea. The new car warranty was a major factor in the purchase decision and cant give that up.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Weā€™re considering this for my JLR (instead of lemon law/buyback).

Iā€™m sure you posted earlier, but just to be clear for my consideration of this kit...did you have play in your steering prior to the PSC, if so now much, and did it fix that?

Thanks!
Yes. I had a good couple of inches. Wandering was horrible. Basically drove like a drunk driver.

ALL of this! Anything short of the PSC option is just throwing parts.

It seems there is a lot of variability with the amount of wander posters are experiencing which may help to explain reports of success with replacing parts vs others realizing no benefit. My Jeep seems to be significantly tighter than the average. I have no reason to believe my issue is with any of the linkage. Without a doubt the issue is the steering box and/or electronics.

Iā€™ve made 3 payments. Iā€™m trying to be patient as thereā€™s nothing else I really want to own, but I wonā€™t make it to #13 without a factory solution. There are way too many little concerns about long term quality to forego the warranty or give FCA any reason to wiggle out.
Agree. Im all for the kit if you got the funds or are past the point of no return. For me I was not. I had some concerns waiting it out. Mostly me not trusting the FCA. Hear rumors of only recalling certain models or build dates etc. And I considered the PCS option but then it wouldn't be warrantied etc. which for me personally was part of getting a new vehicle. I will be looking at the replacements this weekend into next week. But in the back of my mind I worry about it showing up later down the road even if it drives fine now.
Warranty for what? Bad steering? You have bad steering. It is horrible. I now have great steering. My aftermarket parts are warrantied, by the way by a very reputable company that has been around for years doing just this, steering upgrades. If anything else goes wrong with the rig they canā€™t void my warranty anymore than they can for a lift, bigger wheels/tires, track bar, steering stabilizer and the list goes on and on. I donā€™t understand these warranty concerns when people are putting on aftermarket everything linkage. Yes I wonā€™t have a warranty for anything steering related from FCA, correct. But my steering will be warranted from PSC and the rest of the vehicle via FCA. If my Jeep was 100% stock then I would maybe fight the fight.

Unless you are going to keep your Jeep 100% stock there is not a warranty issue. If my Uconnect goes bad they canā€™t void my warranty because of aftermarket steering.

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR, ā€˜06 LX 100-series
Unless you are going to keep your Jeep 100% stock there is not a warranty issue. If my Uconnect goes bad they canā€™t void my warranty because of aftermarket steering.
Good point. Iā€™m 100% stock. If I had a lift/etc I would absolutely spend the money on the PSC to fix everything and deal with other warranty issues as they come up.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have an 18 Rubicon JL Mopar lift 37 1350 Cooper SST pros tires. I cannot stop the pool to the right it's making me so mad I had 37 1250 17 Ridge grapplers on there and it drove like a car it was so nice now I put the 1350 Cooper's on there and I can't get it to drive straight. Anybody have any ideas we are checked all the tires rotated no tire pulls alignment is spot-on had that double checked I'm so frustrated everyone said get a steering stabilizer then people say no that won't help someone get just we'll track arms or drag bars it came with longer ones are good ones someone told me at the dealer my friend so he said that won't work I don't know what to do I don't want to spend thousands troubleshooting and not fix the problem anybody have any idea how I can stop the pull to the right I'll let go of the steering wheel on it just takes off to the right need help

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Just wanted to update everyone with my lack of progress on this.

Brand new 2020 Wrangle ordered from factory. After 3 different dealer visits, a Jeep tech created a STAR case for my jeep. Had my jeep in the shop for 2 weeks. A former TA drove
my jeep with the mechanic and then said "operates as it should" so they closed the case. I had Jeep Wave re-open the case and was given a bunch of BS. They said they were gonna change out the steering box; they never did. They said they were waiting for updated software; they never did it. They checked my alignment and said everything was in spec. So, 2 weeks later, all that was done was an alignment. It's funny how the tech created a STAR case because he noticed the excessive play in the steering, but started walking that statement back once a TA showed up. So now I'm back to square one. I have a brand new $50k jeep that drives like shit and can't take it on the highway because it's unsafe to drive. So every non-FCA mechanic tells me the steering box &/or intermediate shaft needs to be replaced while every FCA mechanic says "it operates as it should." Next up, I will start posting videos and share them on every platform I can, showing how poor this vehicle steers. The way Jeep treats their customers is bogus.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just wanted to update everyone with my lack of progress on this.

Brand new 2020 Wrangle ordered from factory. After 3 different dealer visits, a Jeep tech created a STAR case for my jeep. Had my jeep in the shop for 2 weeks. A former TA drove
my jeep with the mechanic and then said "operates as it should" so they closed the case. I had Jeep Wave re-open the case and was given a bunch of BS. They said they were gonna change out the steering box; they never did. They said they were waiting for updated software; they never did it. They checked my alignment and said everything was in spec. So, 2 weeks later, all that was done was an alignment. It's funny how the tech created a STAR case because he noticed the excessive play in the steering, but started walking that statement back once a TA showed up. So now I'm back to square one. I have a brand new $50k jeep that drives like shit and can't take it on the highway because it's unsafe to drive. So every non-FCA mechanic tells me the steering box &/or intermediate shaft needs to be replaced while every FCA mechanic says "it operates as it should." Next up, I will start posting videos and share them on every platform I can, showing how poor this vehicle steers. The way Jeep treats their customers is bogus.
Already a ton on every social media platform. You will be just wasting even more time. Videos from 2018-2020. Same issues. Just search YT. Hasn't helped. Jeep employees are on this website. Folks have sent emails to the CEO. Trust me they are aware and do not need more videos.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Yes. I had a good couple of inches. Wandering was horrible. Basically drove like a drunk driver.

Warranty for what? Bad steering? You have bad steering. It is horrible. I now have great steering. My aftermarket parts are warrantied, by the way by a very reputable company that has been around for years doing just this, steering upgrades. If anything else goes wrong with the rig they canā€™t void my warranty anymore than they can for a lift, bigger wheels/tires, track bar, steering stabilizer and the list goes on and on. I donā€™t understand these warranty concerns when people are putting on aftermarket everything linkage. Yes I wonā€™t have a warranty for anything steering related from FCA, correct. But my steering will be warranted from PSC and the rest of the vehicle via FCA. If my Jeep was 100% stock then I would maybe fight the fight.

I could be wrong, but I meant no warranty on the PSC set up once installed.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I did keep mine stock while going through this process. Plan is to drive a bunch until I find one that doesn't have an issue and run with that with upgrades and just hope for the best I guess. I still want to have a Jeep. If they offered a buy back, I would buy a used JK probably now that I have had a JL for a while.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I probably would have parts replaced like others but currently itā€™s in the attorneys hands so there is no changes until the issue comes to conclusion
Are you able to share your attorney's contact info so some of us can get in on the litigation as well?

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Already a ton on every social media platform. You will be just wasting even more time. Videos from 2018-2020. Same issues. Just search YT. Hasn't helped. Jeep employees are on this website. Folks have sent emails to the CEO. Trust me they are aware and do not need more videos.
I work for several Network & Cable clients as well as PR firms, so I'm hoping I can do more than just a Youtube video. Perhaps creating a public interest segment for a news show and getting a major influencer to post on their feed. I'm not just gonna sit here and take it. They took my hard earned money and need to make it right.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
FCA will eventually have a recall for the steering problems and in the meantime I do feel that at least the local dealership, and JeepCares are taking my concerns seriously and are not nickle and diming me.
Face it. FCA will never own up and recall. Just ask your dealer... They'll tell you, It's a jeep thing.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I work for several Network & Cable clients as well as PR firms, so I'm hoping I can do more than just a Youtube video. Perhaps creating a public interest segment for a news show and getting a major influencer to post on their feed. I'm not just gonna sit here and take it. They took my hard earned money and need to make it right.
I've been thinking of contacting TFL car, lightbrite and [Banned Site] and some other youtubers to see if they'd be willing to make their community aware of the issue. What do you think?

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I've been thinking of contacting TFL car, lightbrite and [Banned Site] and some other youtubers to see if they'd be willing to make their community aware of the issue. What do you think?
I'd say that's a good start. However, lightbrite will most likely have nothing but positive things to say about Jeep since FCA took care of their
faulty Jeep. They have a lot of followers so they got taken care of. This is the game: if you have enough followers or a wide enough social reach and you bitch about your Jeep, FCA will most likely rectify your issue to shut you up. Totally different story for those without a wide reach.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I'm 100% stock as well and I'll take a buyback/replacement if I can get one. Other than the steering and the radio I love driving this thing which is a big plus since i spend at least 2 hours a day in it. I haven't touched my TJ since i got it. I'd love to have the PSC kit installed. What I have a problem with is BUYING the kit. I can't lie this is the most expensive car I've owned and I don't feel that I should have to spend another nickel on fixing a defect. I didn't plan on any upgrades as I bought it to take the top and doors off and drive around California. I couldn't be happier with the top, the doors, or even the stock springs and shocks. I just need to nail down the "driving around" part.
Sponsored