Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
So what was the independent mechanics recommended repair.
I posted it earlier, they adjusted the steering gearbox. Apparently every manufacturer ever says that the gearbox isn’t adjustable but the shop said they do it all the time on much older cars. Just looking at the numbers on here, if just 10% go the gear boxes are jacked up, that’s still pretty good for the parts supplier and if we all were buying Fiats we probably won’t care. But it’s not a Fiat (guess they are now) and it does drive like a Jeep, but when these problems (track bar, steering box etc) are added, it makes a much different ride.
Sponsored

JCae2798

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU (RIP), 2021 GC L, 2024 JLU 4xe
Well this sucks, just took delivery of our brand new built 2020 4dr and found my wife struggling with the wandering on a trip today. My stupid ass did try to test this during the test drive but tested it only on the backstreets and although it feels fine during slower speeds, once on the freeway it's a different story... FML....

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Well this sucks, just took delivery of our brand new built 2020 4dr and found my wife struggling with the wandering on a trip today. My stupid ass did try to test this during the test drive but tested it only on the backstreets and although it feels fine during slower speeds, once on the freeway it's a different story... FML....
Same here, I read that there was a fix (track bar) I thought “no problem “ drove it a little, tested the steering, all seemed ok, on the drive home “F*#*” but there’s a fix, well.. there’s mort to it. But see my previous posts, I eventually got it fixed with out help from the dealer (except replacing the track bar) but that’s not to say my fix will fix yours, but it’s worth a try.

JCae2798

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU (RIP), 2021 GC L, 2024 JLU 4xe
Same here, I read that there was a fix (track bar) I thought “no problem “ drove it a little, tested the steering, all seemed ok, on the drive home “F*#*” but there’s a fix, well.. there’s mort to it. But see my previous posts, I eventually got it fixed with out help from the dealer (except replacing the track bar) but that’s not to say my fix will fix yours, but it’s worth a try.
Yea I've spent the last couple hours looking for options while i begin to think about strategy with how i will approach this with the dealer...

Just to be clear, i did read through pages of this tread and most of your comments, was your end result fix the trackbar or gearbox adjustment? I would hate to avoid warranty on that box if that thing really cost 700+ dollars...the trackbar seems like a pretty easy replace and cheap enough to try if the problem does resolve itself

Sponsored

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Yea I've spent the last couple hours looking for options while i begin to think about strategy with how i will approach this with the dealer...

Just to be clear, i did read through pages of this tread and most of your comments, was your end result fix the trackbar or gearbox adjustment? I would hate to avoid warranty on that box if that thing really cost 700+ dollars...the trackbar seems like a pretty easy replace and cheap enough to try if the problem does resolve itself
I went to the independent shop almost asking them to tell me I needed a after market track bar, I already picked out the yeti one with the polyurethaning bushings, but the 2nd alignment guy looked at it and said “there’s noticeable play, when we turn the wheel we can see the shaft turn but not the pitman arm” “ adjusted as needed”

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door

Another thought, if you can get the dealer to look at the gear box and see that the shaft moves but not the pitman arm, insists that they replace the defective part, the steering gearbox, FCA probably doesn’t want that to happen because it’s expensive. Guess I just got tired of dealing with the dealer’s “nothings broken, looks new” “drives like a Jeep, me: my JK didn’t do this, dealer: “the new ones do”.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
The new AE gearbox was $846.00. They installed in on my Jeep after Jeep Cares told them to proceed. I drove it home but they had aired the tires back up to 37 from 28. I will report after I get some drive time.
Has any tried the steering box brace from Synergy. It was mention this stoped the wondering

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So can someone educate me? I too have horrible steering wandering.
This is the lift I did with Fox shocks http://rockkrawler.com/suspension/2...-adventure-series/2-5-jlu-adventure-series-3/
With this can I get to the recommended caster of 6-7? I think someone mentioned toe (in or out ?) at .43 and then the rest of the alignment at JL spec

Also what are the names of these three bars(parts) in the pic? I am certain 3 is the new adjustable track bar.

Lastly other than the alignment folks are replacing the drag link. I assume that is number 1 or 2? Can this be replaced easily with basic tools?

Thanks for the help

7D75C6C5-4026-4A54-9B63-EA94BE58E247.jpeg

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
So can someone educate me? I too have horrible steering wandering.
This is the lift I did with Fox shocks http://rockkrawler.com/suspension/2...-adventure-series/2-5-jlu-adventure-series-3/
With this can I get to the recommended caster of 6-7? I think someone mentioned toe (in or out ?) at .43 and then the rest of the alignment at JL spec

Also what are the names of these three bars(parts) in the pic? I am certain 3 is the new adjustable track bar.

Lastly other than the alignment folks are replacing the drag link. I assume that is number 1 or 2? Can this be replaced easily with basic tools?

Thanks for the help

7D75C6C5-4026-4A54-9B63-EA94BE58E247.jpeg
wrangler-jeep-jk-front-suspension-components-outlined.jpg

Heres a diagram of the steering components

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
wrangler-jeep-jk-front-suspension-components-outlined.jpg

Heres a diagram of the steering components
Thats awesome thanks for that. So my lift comes with adjustable upper but fixed lower control arms. Does that mean I cant adjust to 6-7 degrees of caster? Seems like many are upgrading the drag link to help with wandering, is that an easy swap?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any chance you can do us a solid and call or find a way to get the part number for the correct "intermediate shaft"?
Also, what dealer? Might be worth the trip. Getting ridiculous.
I looked up my VIN online for the intermediate shaft and this number came up. (68274743AC) It lists for $155 and sells online for $107. It's possibly not the latest version (AD, AE, etc) but it's the basic part .

All these reports of various "cures" indicate to me that they have quality control problems at the very least.

Also, my experience with the track bar indicates a design problem. The track bar was allowing my Oct 18 build JLUR to wander and have the perception of 2-3" of play. At the very least, the bushings were too soft (likely a design issue) as indicated by a revised track bar with harder bushings.

My experience in being involved in chasing engineered product problems for decades is that FCA engineering and quality assurance have probably identified most, if not all the problem areas, but have yet to put together a comprehensive diagnosis process to identify components that need replacement for their dealer network. They're having their dealers treat each component problem in isolation rather than as a system.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just so everyone understands, more caster slows the steering response.
Quick question -
So the Regional Tech looked mine over and provided a "new" alignment spec for the Jeep - no idea what changed. (no silver bullet - the play is the last symptom that gets worse at speed)
Next - he said that they will need to write some new code to be uploaded into the vehicle control unit and that's where I am at now.

I know there was an original PCM flash that was helping other issues - could this new step be a silver bullet or is the Regional Tech now blowing up more smoke and false hopes?
I hadn't read on anyone else getting this done. Thoughts?
Sponsored