First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Seems like hit or miss, some have had great success others no real improvement.

On the positive side I’m hoping it helps me, don’t know how long they will have it this time.
The Jeep rep actually called me today to make sure they got it in and started working on it.
Shortly after that the dealer called me and let me know they test drove it and couldn’t believe how bad it was !!! Definitely upgrade damper and a new steering box.
The fact that he drove it and experienced the “joy” himself is important since his 40 years at the dealership carries a bit of clout.
I won’t get overly hopeful, but think there at least on the right path this time.

Follow up:
It’s now Saturday and after 2 days at the dealership I got called it was ready for pickup
Headed over there with the anticipation of a child on Christmas morning. Very smooth pick up process, no cost for loaner or repairs. Minimal Saturday staff, but no waiting .
Happily jumped in and pushed aside the paper floor mat and headed out of the lot.
Got less than 1/2 mile and realized it seemed the same. Maybe it was just me being used to
Rocking the steering to keep straight so I figured I would just keep going. Another mile up
the road I go and it’s definitely not better, definitely not me. Turn around and head back to the. Dealer. Hmmmm -Paperwork says they changed the steering box but let’s look. Since I had a picture of the old one I can see the number is different on the new one. So it is new, and so is the damper. I inform the service people it’s no better and back into the crappy little Cherokee with no spare tire I go leaving with the shattered hopes of no Red Rider BB gun for Ralphie this Christmas.
Shot off a note to my FCA rep and will await Monday’s call where they will surely tell me they don’t know what to do.

At this point I am seeking advise on how to start a buy back procedure......anyone have any good advice?
Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up:
It’s now Saturday and after 2 days at the dealership I got called it was ready for pickup
Headed over there with the anticipation of a child on Christmas morning. Very smooth pick up process, no cost for loaner or repairs. Minimal Saturday staff, but no waiting .
Happily jumped in and pushed aside the paper floor mat and headed out of the lot.
Got less than 1/2 mile and realized it seemed the same. Maybe it was just me being used to
Rocking the steering to keep straight so I figured I would just keep going. Another mile up
the road I go and it’s definitely not better, definitely not me. Turn around and head back to the. Dealer. Hmmmm -Paperwork says they changed the steering box but let’s look. Since I had a picture of the old one I can see the number is different on the new one. So it is new, and so is the damper. I inform the service people it’s no better and back into the crappy little Cherokee with no spare tire I go leaving with the shattered hopes of no Red Rider BB gun for Ralphie this Christmas.
Shot off a note to my FCA rep and will await Monday’s call where they will surely tell me they don’t know what to do.

At this point I am seeking advise on how to start a buy back procedure......anyone have any good advice?
Exactly what happened to me. Gave it 2 weeks myself but it really is not very much better. I will say the slop is minimally better but nowhere near where it should be. The wandering was reduced slightly so it is more drive-able but not fixed. I have a 20 year old TJ my son drives, drove it for the first time in many months and it actually drove better than my JL, and it's 100% original and all stock. For the posters that say "quit whining, it's a Jeep thing" I say fuck that. Been driving Jeeps for 20 years and this is the worst steering Jeep I've ever driven. I'll be interested in hearing what they tell you. I'm ready to start back to the dealership to see what my next steps are. This last time they had it a month waiting for the AE steering box and I was so happy to have it back that I just put up with the steering so I could drive the Jeep I'm paying for. I love this thing but the steering is just unacceptable.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Exactly what happened to me. Gave it 2 weeks myself but it really is not very much better. I will say the slop is minimally better but nowhere near where it should be. The wandering was reduced slightly so it is more drive-able but not fixed. I have a 20 year old TJ my son drives, drove it for the first time in many months and it actually drove better than my JL, and it's 100% original and all stock. For the posters that say "quit whining, it's a Jeep thing" I say fuck that. Been driving Jeeps for 20 years and this is the worst steering Jeep I've ever driven. I'll be interested in hearing what they tell you. I'm ready to start back to the dealership to see what my next steps are. This last time they had it a month waiting for the AE steering box and I was so happy to have it back that I just put up with the steering so I could drive the Jeep I'm paying for. I love this thing but the steering is just unacceptable.
Yep, we’re in the same boat. I think if the service advisor I was dealing with recently at the dealership had test driven it he would have said it’s not acceptable. He was off yesterday when they finished it. He drove it before and knows it’s just plain lousy.
Honestly I’m at the end of my rope with this, I plunked down 40K smackers have been courteous, patient, non bitchy, and tried to go thru the proper procedure from day one.
I really like the Jeep other than this issue I only want it fixed. I have kept it stock so there could be no blame about aftermarket parts. Of course some cosmetic things had to be done but nothing I can’t reverse in a few hours.
With winter coming in NE Ohio I can’t have a Jeep that steers like a bad Walmart shopping cart. I drive my ford transit van more than the Jeep these days but it’s not a winter vehicle.

Not 100% positive of the next move but come Monday I expect to receive a few calls or I will start making some on my own.....and they won’t be to Jeep!

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, we’re in the same boat. I think if the service advisor I was dealing with recently at the dealership had test driven it he would have said it’s not acceptable. He was off yesterday when they finished it. He drove it before and knows it’s just plain lousy.
Honestly I’m at the end of my rope with this, I plunked down 40K smackers have been courteous, patient, non bitchy, and tried to go thru the proper procedure from day one.
I really like the Jeep other than this issue I only want it fixed. I have kept it stock so there could be no blame about aftermarket parts. Of course some cosmetic things had to be done but nothing I can’t reverse in a few hours.
With winter coming in NE Ohio I can’t have a Jeep that steers like a bad Walmart shopping cart. I drive my ford transit van more than the Jeep these days but it’s not a winter vehicle.

Not 100% positive of the next move but come Monday I expect to receive a few calls or I will start making some on my own.....and they won’t be to Jeep!
After waiting 4 weeks I did start to get impatient and a little bitchy, but this after the first 2 times having it in for the same issue only to have the dealership tell me its driving as designed. Did get a survey email from FCA after my last repair and laid into them pretty good as well. I have followed the proper procedures to but so far the results are minimal. Some people have had good results, some have not. Not sure why its so variable.

Phillysays

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon

I believe the steering gear box is the root cause of the slop. I have a newer build JLUR with the AE box from the factory. By adding adjustable control arms, and getting the caster to approx 6.2 degrees, drastically helped firm up the steering and minimized the slop in the steering wheel. As others has mentioned, the additional caster fixes the majority of the slop, but does not completely eliminate the play in the steering wheel created by the steering gear box. I am very happy with my Jeep now and I wanted to relay this to anyone that is driving themselves crazy with the Jeep steering issues.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I believe the steering gear box is the root cause of the slop. I have a newer build JLUR with the AE box from the factory. By adding adjustable control arms, and getting the caster to approx 6.2 degrees, drastically helped firm up the steering and minimized the slop in the steering wheel. As others has mentioned, the additional caster fixes the majority of the slop, but does not completely eliminate the play in the steering wheel created by the steering gear box. I am very happy with my Jeep now and I wanted to relay this to anyone that is driving themselves crazy with the Jeep steering issues.
They installed an AE box. There is not as much available front end adjustment on a sahara as there is on a Rubi. so adding control arms Is not an option

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was the PCM reflashed for you with new steering boxes?
I don’t know, I made sure to mention it when they called to tell me it was completed.
I asked them if the damper is installed vent side down and if the PCM was flashed.
Whoever I was talking too had no clue what I was referring too on either issue. It was 5:00 on Friday, all the techs had left. On Saturday pick up the only ones there are oil change guys....no point even asking.

My guess is no flash and I wonder if it really would even make a difference. I’m going to let them suggest it. I’m frankly tired of offering up suggestions to them.

LennyF

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon - Ordered a 2021 JL Rubi - 4H Auto
Hi All,

I am a newbie who has ordered a 2020 Rubicon but will not be taking delivery until April/2020. Yesterday I test drove a 3.6 with E-torque and today I test drove a Sport S 2.0 without E-torque just to confirm my engine preference.

The 2020 3.6 with E-torque was tracking steady at 60 MPH but the 2.0 without E-torque at 60 MPH had at least 2" of right/left play in the wheel and required a lot of small wheel adjustments (left/right right/left) to keep it straight.

The steering problem is still very much "alive and well" in the 2020 models, and I'm living in fear that my Rubi will be one of the unlucky ones - Hopefully, FCA will have it figured out by the time mine gets built in the spring.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I don’t know, I made sure to mention it when they called to tell me it was completed.
I asked them if the damper is installed vent side down and if the PCM was flashed.
Whoever I was talking too had no clue what I was referring too on either issue. It was 5:00 on Friday, all the techs had left. On Saturday pick up the only ones there are oil change guys....no point even asking.

My guess is no flash and I wonder if it really would even make a difference. I’m going to let them suggest it. I’m frankly tired of offering up suggestions to them.
I ask because the people with new boxes with a successful outcome have the PCM reflashed. The reports I’ve read of not successful boxes don’t have confirmation of reflash.

I should get my Jeep Wednesday and hope it’s good.

Sponsored

Mjanski

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Having new box installed Monday as well as after the new damper per the recall did nothing to correct the issue and actually made it worse. Got Jeep Cares involved with assigned case. Making note when I drop it to make sure the PCM is flashed and the shaft bolt be replaced as I have read on here it’s a one time use part and some dealers reusing the old one.

RightOnQ

First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Just raising my hand as ANOTHER 2018 JL owner having steering issues. I had the new track bar installed in accordance with TSB 02-003-19 and BCM flashed in accordance with TSB 08-092-18. The dealer says nothing is wrong and there is nothing else they can do. I suggested they replace the steering box with the new AE steering box, but they said they wont because the current one is operating as designed. Posting this video in hopes of drawing attention to the problem. There is obviously still an unacceptable amount of play. I have a Jeep Cares Case open and they are trying to work with the dealer. I've also filed a complaint with NHTSA. I've been in a POS rental car for a while now and it's getting pretty frustrating.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Just raising my hand as ANOTHER 2018 JL owner having steering issues. I had the new track bar installed in accordance with TSB 02-003-19 and BCM flashed in accordance with TSB 08-092-18. The dealer says nothing is wrong and there is nothing else they can do. I suggested they replace the steering box with the new AE steering box, but they said they wont because the current one is operating as designed. Posting this video in hopes of drawing attention to the problem. There is obviously still an unacceptable amount of play. I have a Jeep Cares Case open and they are trying to work with the dealer. I've also filed a complaint with NHTSA. I've been in a POS rental car for a while now and it's getting pretty frustrating.

Welcome!

Sorry you’re dealing with this. My dealer started working with the engineers when my Jeep Cares representative opened what he called a “technical case.” My dealer was listening to me and not giving me the “as designed” bs, which I’m happy about. However, when it came to working on it, they didn’t follow through as thoroughly as I would like. On my prior appointment, I mentioned the steering box, but they said it was rue pitman arm. I was worse when I picked it up. Ugh.

Once the technical case opened, it was by the book per the star cases. Now I have a steering box on order. Some have had success with new boxes, and others not so much. I’m still hopeful.

Has your dealer checked your alignment? Proper caster and toe make a difference.

Good luck!

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
Biggest improvement for me was CASTER. Went from 5 to 7 and now am 95% happy with highway driving. Gearbox still has some "play" but the unacceptable wandering is gone and makes the gearbox play less noticeable. Aftermarket track bar helped but best improvement was caster.
2018 JLU
Sponsored