Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I have a ~3 week old 2019 Sahara that I just picked up. I was not a forum guy and was really not aware of these issues when I bought so I was not on the lookout on my test drives. Test drives were not really on pin straight roads. Anyway, after driving my new car in the situations where I wanted to stay straight at higher speeds I started to have the wander and constantly chasing the steering on center from the "play" feel perspective.

I found these forums and wanted to post because it's pretty clear to me that my issue is in the steering gearbox. With the engine on OR off I can rotate the steering wheel (or simply the steering column in the engine bay) and get no output from the steering box to the pitman arm output. For me this results in about 1-1.5" of play in the steering wheel itself. This is enough that I am chasing it on the highway and a cross wind or road shape moves the car before I can correct or hold it before taking up the play.

My build date is 7/19 and I have checked all the parts noted here. My Jeep has all the latest parts and the AE steering box. All that think an AE gearbox is the magic bullet, please be warry and make sure it is checked before being installed.

Funny enough I myself was starting to wonder if this was "normal". I had a loaner from the dealer last week for a few days (for a factory paint defect fix) that was a 2018 JK Sahara, and it was perfect on center. This really cemented it for me and I started looking for where the issue was coming from at this point.

@JeepCares I have not started a case with my dealer yet, but plan to in the next week or so. Please add me to the list of unhappy customers. I am not OK with this and the issue seems very clear. This is not acceptable safe performance. I will direct my dealer to check the steering box and hope they agree to do so.

I have videos, etc. of my issue, but I'm sure you all have seen them all by now from others with the same issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@df007 sadly I don't think the dealership can fix anything.

There's about 15 different things you can try. All make some difference and combined that with hope, steering feals better until at any moment you can change lanes sporadically and then fight the rubber band effect to re-center. If only Jeep leadership would force their significant other to drive a JL for a week and hear the feedback.

I too can drive my brother in law's 2007 TJ and while literally eveything on it is worn completely out the thing tracks straight as an arrow if the legit death wobble doesn't bounce you off the road.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I have a ~3 week old 2019 Sahara that I just picked up. I was not a forum guy and was really not aware of these issues when I bought so I was not on the lookout on my test drives. Test drives were not really on pin straight roads. Anyway, after driving my new car in the situations where I wanted to stay straight at higher speeds I started to have the wander and constantly chasing the steering on center from the "play" feel perspective.

I found these forums and wanted to post because it's pretty clear to me that my issue is in the steering gearbox. With the engine on OR off I can rotate the steering wheel (or simply the steering column in the engine bay) and get no output from the steering box to the pitman arm output. For me this results in about 1-1.5" of play in the steering wheel itself. This is enough that I am chasing it on the highway and a cross wind or road shape moves the car before I can correct or hold it before taking up the play.

My build date is 7/19 and I have checked all the parts noted here. My Jeep has all the latest parts and the AE steering box. All that think an AE gearbox is the magic bullet, please be warry and make sure it is checked before being installed.

Funny enough I myself was starting to wonder if this was "normal". I had a loaner from the dealer last week for a few days (for a factory paint defect fix) that was a 2018 JK Sahara, and it was perfect on center. This really cemented it for me and I started looking for where the issue was coming from at this point.

@JeepCares I have not started a case with my dealer yet, but plan to in the next week or so. Please add me to the list of unhappy customers. I am not OK with this and the issue seems very clear. This is not acceptable safe performance. I will direct my dealer to check the steering box and hope they agree to do so.

I have videos, etc. of my issue, but I'm sure you all have seen them all by now from others with the same issue.

Mine was built 7/19 and i'm pretty unhappy with the way it steers as well. Start by making sure your tires aren't over inflated as this amplifies the problem. Mine were 40 psi from the dealer and WAY WAY WAY out of balance. When I took it to a real tire shop they said that they took almost a pound of added weight off of one tire. Anyway getting the pressures to 35psi and balancing it made the ride manageable meaning if I pay attention I won't die but since the TSBs and campaigns don't cover a 7/19 jeep and my dealer says that it's "Normal" i'll just live with the dodgy steering until a new recall comes out.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
The only problem is if your dealer wants an excuse not to work on any future steering related issues due to aftermarket parts.
Yes, this is my concern as well. But if the only difference is the bushings, I don't want to waste my money on the same mopar track bar. As disappointed as i am with the steering, I'm willing to forgo the warranty, but I'll have to get it in writing that the day I take it in for something other than a steering issue they won't deny service thru the warranty.

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Just picked up my JLUS today and drove it home about 250 miles. During my test drive it was rush hour so couldn’t really get up past 50 Mph so didn’t notice anything. Sure enough once I hit the highway on my way home, my Jeep was all over the place. I had to wrestle with the steering wheel the whole time and felt very unsafe - others must’ve thought I was drunk. Now I’m screwed as my dealer is over 4 hours away. So pissed I just dropped $45k on a brand new Jeep and already have issues. There are 280 pages on this thread regarding this issue, I really hope FCA addresses this issue soon. If not, perhaps a class action lawsuit will motivate them.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How does a recall get started? FCA would have to recognize there is an issue (haha they don't give a shat), sales slow down causing an internal investigation, or someone dies and the government gets involved.

Outside of that I assume we white knuckle, sell, or trade.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my JLUS today and drove it home about 250 miles. During my test drive it was rush hour so couldn’t really get up past 50 Mph so didn’t notice anything. Sure enough once I hit the highway on my way home, my Jeep was all over the place. I had to wrestle with the steering wheel the whole time and felt very unsafe - others must’ve thought I was drunk. Now I’m screwed as my dealer is over 4 hours away. So pissed I just dropped $45k on a brand new Jeep and already have issues. There are 280 pages on this thread regarding this issue, I really hope FCA addresses this issue soon. If not, perhaps a class action lawsuit will motivate them.

You can bring it to any Jeep dealer for service. You don't have to bring it back to where you bought it....if you have a dealer closer

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem is if your dealer wants an excuse not to work on any future steering related issues due to aftermarket parts.
I have all kinds of after market parts and I had the electronic sway bar disconnect go out and with he tazer installed (NOT a tazer issue). The dealership didn't ask a single aftermarket question or why did I have a tazer. If the Jeep didn't have to be towed I would have removed the tazer but with all that no issues with them fixing things. They have also fixed my fan noise and seat popping.

Now the steering I have given up because literally nothing the dealership can do but replace shat parts with shat parts so why waste time.

Sponsored

hiddenmickey

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sport S

My JL was made 6/19 and it also has the updated AE steering box and other steering components. It wanders and I have a difficult time maintaining a lane when driving it. I have my tire pressure set at 36 psi and it has helped, but the problem is still there. I think Jeep/FCA knows they have a problem, but they don’t have a solution. Here’s hoping they figure it out soon.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
My JL was made 6/19 and it also has the updated AE steering box and other steering components. It wanders and I have a difficult time maintaining a lane when driving it. I have my tire pressure set at 36 psi and it has helped, but the problem is still there. I think Jeep/FCA knows they have a problem, but they don’t have a solution. Here’s hoping they figure it out soon.
Does it wander AND have play in the steering wheel, or just wander. If it only wanders checking all the steering component torque (drag link, track bar, tie rod ends, ball joints) and having an alignment done (toe) will probably help quite a bit.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Does it wander AND have play in the steering wheel, or just wander. If it only wanders checking all the steering component torque (drag link, track bar, tie rod ends, ball joints) and having an alignment done (toe) will probably help quite a bit.
In my case, it holds a line decent enough but the play in the steering wheel is extreme.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Star case opened on my steering. Jeep Cares and the dealership have no clue. I told them that I have 2” of movement in the steering wheel with no input/response out of the steering. They kept trying to sell me a dual stabilizer. I already have a Teraflex trackbar and Falcon adjustable stabilizer. I told them it is in the steering box and set them another Star case on how to check it. They still don’t have a clue. I told them I would try another dealership that could actually work on their own product.
Dows anyone else have a case open on this same scenario? If so, have they fixed it and how? I have heard a new gear box is out. Also heard a reprogram of the steering.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I have a Star case opened on my steering. Jeep Cares and the dealership have no clue. I told them that I have 2” of movement in the steering wheel with no input/response out of the steering. They kept trying to sell me a dual stabilizer. I already have a Teraflex trackbar and Falcon adjustable stabilizer. I told them it is in the steering box and set them another Star case on how to check it. They still don’t have a clue. I told them I would try another dealership that could actually work on their own product.
Dows anyone else have a case open on this same scenario? If so, have they fixed it and how? I have heard a new gear box is out. Also heard a reprogram of the steering.
I have one open and have a steering box on the way per the dealership. Hopefully gets down sometime this weekend. Been at the dealer for over 2 weeks now. When talking with him I mentioned the AE part of the part number and he advised they now have an AF? So we will see.
Sponsored