First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
This one? https://www.quadratec.com/p/psc-mot...p-conversion-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-3.6l-pk1880 If the steering pump upgrade fixes loose steering, and not all JLs have the steering issue, I wonder of the problem all along with loose steering on stock JLs is the steering pump or steering pump programming. The description mentions that a programmer is needed to override the factory electro-hydraulic pump functions. Which programmer overrides the steering pump functions? I've been looking for such a programmer. Is it easy to uninstall when bringing in the JL for service? Most Jeep dealers will jump all over it and say it voids the warranty.
That has to be your call. The electric steering in my opinion has a built-in dead spot. It CAN also overheat, unlike s belt driven hydraulic. I took mine in already for routine oil service w no prob. Am waiting however to get the damper (death wobble source) replaced. Don't expect troubles

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
That has to be your call. The electric steering in my opinion has a built-in dead spot. It CAN also overheat, unlike s belt driven hydraulic. I took mine in already for routine oil service w no prob. Am waiting however to get the damper (death wobble source) replaced. Don't expect troubles
My dead spot is in the box, turn the wheel and pitman arm doesn’t move until past the dead spot, I am not convinced it matters whether it is hydraulic or electric.

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The kit completely replaced the factory box. Problem solved. Oh, the new box can be adjusted!

Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
My dead spot is in the box, turn the wheel and pitman arm doesn’t move until past the dead spot, I am not convinced it matters whether it is hydraulic or electric.
I think most others have the dead spot in the box as well. Swapping others parts is like chasing ghosts if the box has slop.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Still having problems with mine. Heading back to the dealer again tomorrow. They are replacing the track bar and steering stabilizer.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not "electric steering" that has a dead spot. I have two GM vehicles with electric steering and both are tight, very tight. One is a pickup with 33x12.50 tires. The JL steering issue is its own.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, shit. That looks terrible. Too bad I already ordered.
I'd fake a family emergency and ask the dealer to let you out of the deal. It sucks and I've put so much money into steering. Each 1k it gets 10% better but when you start at a shat show it may take 8k to make it marginally tolerable and family still won't drive it.

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you get the one with ram? How bad was the install?
Did not get ram. Essentially, the hydraulic package replaces everything that was electrical. Including the electric steering box. Also got the Tazer Mini JL. Now, my ride doesn't insist on cutting off the engine at every stop sign, among other fun things. Worth checking THAT out too!

Install was not hard, but I had a seasoned Jeep tech do it for me. He works for Alfa Romeo, in Greensboro, NC. Would definitely recommend them for any and all mods you might be considering. (336) 217-1601. Job can be done in less than 1 day...excellent work, too.
Sponsored