Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
It was an *extremely* frustrating day in the Jeep today and we really saw the faults in the steering. Sadly. Tears have been shed.

We drove towards Lake Tahoe to do a trail—the first real wheeling my in my Jeep. Previously we had driven it around town and it felt good after the work we had done on it. Some looseness still, but tolerable.

However, driving in the mountains today was an incredible challenge because keeping it in the lane took a lot of concentration and effort. The combination of curves and hills was too much and we needed to constantly correct and slow down. It was so much worse than our JK—even driving it in the wind amongst big rigs doing 80 in Arizona.

My husband wasn't feeling well, so between that and the miserable steering, we turned around and went home.

I was sooooo hopeful that after the work we've done, we could go to Moab in the spring (we have already cancelled our planned tip to Colorado next month because of the steering). But after today, there will be no trip to Moab, Colorado, Southern California, etc. Not when the Jeep drives like this.

I'm beyond frustrated that I have this JLR that I love, but can't use other than a commuter.

So the next step is to be proactive with the dealer/FCA and have it looked at. Again. I'm not waiting for a newly released steering box for the 2-door. I'm seriously thinking that if they can't fix it, i'll have to lemon law the Jeep. I can't have keep this Jeep and not be able to drive it to go have fun.

So disappointed.
Sponsored

autofire87

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I have had my 2020 JLUR for about a week now and in my opinion, this MY is affected by the same steering dead spot problems. Coming from a 2016 JKU, that jeep did not have any issues with the steering at all. Now the 2020 might not be as bad as others, especially the 2018's from videos that I've seen, but the 2020 is still FAR from perfect, at least mine is. I've let 3 other people drive the jeep including my wife without ever mentioning the steering and it took her a whole 2 minutes of driving to ask "Whats wrong with the steering on this thing?" Below is a clip of the steering if you want to judge for yourself.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
So I have had my 2020 JLUR for about a week now and in my opinion, this MY is affected by the same steering dead spot problems. Coming from a 2016 JKU, that jeep did not have any issues with the steering at all. Now the 2020 might not be as bad as others, especially the 2018's from videos that I've seen, but the 2020 is still FAR from perfect, at least mine is. I've let 3 other people drive the jeep including my wife without ever mentioning the steering and it took her a whole 2 minutes of driving to ask "Whats wrong with the steering on this thing?" Below is a clip of the steering if you want to judge for yourself.

Can you check what steering box revision you have? AE or AD? I am trying to figure out how much pressure I put on my dealer to swap my steering box vs just giving up and putting on a PSC steering ram.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I have the latest on all the upgrades on my 2019 JLURubicon. I think the real problem is the ball joints are so tight from being new combined with the slack in the steering wheel is causing the issue of wandering. I don’t care what anyone says that a jeep steering wheel should have 1 inch of slop, show me any other 4 Wheel Dr. vehicle including my F250 and it has zero slop. Steering components are too dam tight combined with dead zone/slop. Mine is getting a tad better, maybe again it’s me just getting used to this piss poor design. I already told my brother if I get killed in this thing , look at steering issues. One thing I have learned reading hundreds of pages on this topic, the caster angles for a sport is 6, Sahara is in the 5s, and Rubicon is 4.8. Sure seems like caster is the issue as well.

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
Try the kit from Performance Steering Components. I had it put on my 2018 JL, and the thing steers perfectly. No loose whatsoever. Feel free to ask any question you want! I WOULD do this again in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you check what steering box revision you have? AE or AD? I am trying to figure out how much pressure I put on my dealer to swap my steering box vs just giving up and putting on a PSC steering ram.
Towards the end of the 2019s, they started using the AE steering box, so he should have an AE (unless they came out with yet another version) in a 2020, but it would be great if @autofire87 could confirm.

autofire87

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just confirmed, I do have the AE version of the steering box.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just confirmed, I do have the AE version of the steering box.
The checklist for steering issues such as loose steering, drifting includes, most would be for the 2020 as well:

1. Tire pressure. 33 - 37
2. Loose ball joints. Check torque.
3. Loose track bar, drag link, sway bars and other steering and suspension components.
4. Defective steering gear box.
5. Defective steering stabilizer.
6. Too low of caster. It would be interesting to get the part number of your Lower Control Arms. You can see the part number on the side without crawling underneath it.
7. Toe setting.

There are other things to check but I'm assuming the 2020 has the updated software, updated track bar with stiffer bushings, updated drag link, update steering stabilizer. What is the part number on your steering stabilizer?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Welcome.

And what a disappointment to see that on a 2020 with the AE box.

Mine is so loose now I have about another inch of play each way.

@californiajeeping has good suggestions. I’m curious as to the caster and toe on your Jeep. The toe on mine was way off and uneven at delivery.

Sponsored

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the Alpha Dealer (seasoned Jeep technician from sister store in Raleigh) install the PSC from Quadratec. PK 1880 Pump Kit for JL 2028-2019.
This one? https://www.quadratec.com/p/psc-mot...p-conversion-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-3.6l-pk1880 If the steering pump upgrade fixes loose steering, and not all JLs have the steering issue, I wonder of the problem all along with loose steering on stock JLs is the steering pump or steering pump programming. The description mentions that a programmer is needed to override the factory electro-hydraulic pump functions. Which programmer overrides the steering pump functions? I've been looking for such a programmer. Is it easy to uninstall when bringing in the JL for service? Most Jeep dealers will jump all over it and say it voids the warranty.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
This one? https://www.quadratec.com/p/psc-mot...p-conversion-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-3.6l-pk1880 If the steering pump upgrade fixes loose steering, and not all JLs have the steering issue, I wonder of the problem all along with loose steering on stock JLs is the steering pump or steering pump programming. The description mentions that a programmer is needed to override the factory electro-hydraulic pump functions. Which programmer overrides the steering pump functions? I've been looking for such a programmer. Is it easy to uninstall when bringing in the JL for service? Most Jeep dealers will jump all over it and say it voids the warranty.
Tazer can do it.
Sponsored