Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
i have a 2019 JLR. tire pressure was at 42 from dealer. first few days it felt like it was floating or drifting left to right. kind of fun.

i was advised to drop the psi to 29-32 which i did n that float feeling is gone. a part of me misses it. kept me having to stay aware. now it’s just easy driving. at times i let go of the steering wheel to test n it drives the line i drive on with zero movement.

i have stock 33s KO2. honestly it’s too quiet n feels like it’s not a jeep.

when i have friends inside i intentionally swerve the wheel to get smiles from ear to ear.

we all love JEEPS n how they wander.

you might just need new tires n drop that psi. the high psi’s is like driving on a bowling ball. too stiff n it wanders within the lane. <<<though that is something i kinda like.
Are you being serious?
No I haven’t, I’m waiting for a good day to adjust the drag link a little to see if I tell the difference before I start diving deeper into it.
Don’t adjust anything yourself if you want to keep the warranty valid. Don’t give them the right to blame it on you.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
No lift Rubicon with 35" tires and after market rims

Replaced lower control arms with Teraflex adjustable arms, set caster to 5.5
Replaced track bar with Steersmarts Yeti track bar
Replaced steering (gear) box with new OEM part (not sure of the part number, I know there is a new one out now, but that wasn't out at the time)
Replaced steering dampener with Falcon 2.2
Reduced tire pressure to 34 psi
Set Toe-in to 0.20
Had dealership re-torque all other front end components (I had 2 dealers actually do this)

Still having "wondering" issue. The steering box was the largest component to making my "loose" steering better.
LCA, dampener and track bar did nothing.

Heard there might be a recall on a newer steering box so maybe that will help.
Until then, I guess I'll keep investing in front end components until it drives better

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09

Replaced steering (gear) box with new OEM part (not sure of the part number, I know there is a new one out now, but that wasn't out at the time)
Set Toe-in to 0.20
Had dealership re-torque all other front end components (I had 2 dealers actually do this)

Still having "wondering" issue. The steering box was the largest component to making my "loose" steering better.

Until then, I guess I'll keep investing in front end components until it drives better
I guess all that's left are the drag link and tie rods. I'm surprised it hasn't improved all that much with those new components! I just replaced the drag link and track bar with aftermarket and I really saw a huge improvement. I'm contemplating lower control arms or correction brackets, but the steering is so good I'm putting it off. Good luck!

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Set Toe-in to 0.20

Thanks for the info, further leads me to believe it is in steering box and/or the power steering assist!

Sponsored

Catwlcd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
My 2 Door Rubicon has been to the dealer 4 times now for play in the steering wheel, 1st time they did the track bar weld recall and "adjusted the steering" left me with an offset steering wheel to the right.
2nd time I went in to have them fix the wheel and they decided to replace the steering gear box at that time, part number ending in AD, not sure if that was an up date or not. The issue was still there and steering wheel was off center to the left.
3rd time I believe all they did was correct my wheel, but did tell me they were starting a star case for my jeep. Nothing ever came of that, i assume it never happened.
4th time just last week, they replace the track bar, I would guess they never even took it for a test drive after, there was absolutely no difference.
I am not really sure what to do from here.

Another question, has anyone had the issue where you do a full lock turn and the steering seem to be stuck, not going back to center without a fair amount of effort?

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My 2 Door Rubicon has been to the dealer 4 times now for play in the steering wheel, 1st time they did the track bar weld recall and "adjusted the steering" left me with an offset steering wheel to the right.
2nd time I went in to have them fix the wheel and they decided to replace the steering gear box at that time, part number ending in AD, not sure if that was an up date or not. The issue was still there and steering wheel was off center to the left.
3rd time I believe all they did was correct my wheel, but did tell me they were starting a star case for my jeep. Nothing ever came of that, i assume it never happened.
4th time just last week, they replace the track bar, I would guess they never even took it for a test drive after, there was absolutely no difference.
I am not really sure what to do from here.

Another question, has anyone had the issue where you do a full lock turn and the steering seem to be stuck, not going back to center without a fair amount of effort?
I’m not sure I have even been to full lock yet. I’ll be sure to test that before the next and 3rd time I take mine in for wander. Scheduled this week.
It looks like you have a lemon law case to pursue if you’d like. I’m not sure what would improve if given a new Jeep. Mine is 3 weeks old and has all of the steering issues. Maybe they will build you a 2020. Or maybe pay for aftermarket parts.

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My 2 door is also like this. Normal I think.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
I saw someone ask but maybe it got lost in the post. How do you check the part number on your steering box? Thanks

Sponsored

Catwlcd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I’m not sure I have even been to full lock yet. I’ll be sure to test that before the next and 3rd time I take mine in for wander. Scheduled this week.
It looks like you have a lemon law case to pursue if you’d like. I’m not sure what would improve if given a new Jeep. Mine is 3 weeks old and has all of the steering issues. Maybe they will build you a 2020. Or maybe pay for aftermarket parts.
You are correct, in Colorado a lemon law case starts after 3 visits for the same issue and no repair.

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I saw someone ask but maybe it got lost in the post. How do you check the part number on your steering box? Thanks
You can look in your drivers side front fender well between frame and inner fender. There is a gap you can see it, at least on the Rubicon. I found it easiest to put my phone in there and take a picture of the part number.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so my dealer is balking at repairing or even really looking at my wandering/loose steering issue. Build date is 1/24/19 so just 2 days past the end date for the Star case with the trackbar. Not sure what to do, they say they "cannot replicate the issue" which we know is bs. I already stated I would come in and test drive with a tech. One thing they are working on and I have not heard about it is a weld issue in the drivers side door just underneath where the hardtop meets it. They are sanding, re-welding and re-painting it there. Anyone else heard about that?
Either way I think I need to invoke Jeep Cares on this (and hopefully they do care, my dealership doesn't!!)

Vondy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
OK, so my dealer is balking at repairing or even really looking at my wandering/loose steering issue. Build date is 1/24/19 so just 2 days past the end date for the Star case with the trackbar. Not sure what to do, they say they "cannot replicate the issue" which we know is bs. I already stated I would come in and test drive with a tech. One thing they are working on and I have not heard about it is a weld issue in the drivers side door just underneath where the hardtop meets it. They are sanding, re-welding and re-painting it there. Anyone else heard about that?
Either way I think I need to invoke Jeep Cares on this (and hopefully they do care, my dealership doesn't!!)
Keep on pushing them. Don't hesitate to involve JeepCares and any other means possible. Also consider another dealership if needed, JeepCares will likely suggest getting another dealer to look at it.. They wouldnt be revising boxes, updating software if there wasnt something that needed correcting/improved!

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is probably posted as everyone is on the ball! This is a video of the wheel while in park. This may be an enabler to what another user described as the rubber band steering. I have 2.5", 37's at 27 cold PSI, after market front trackbar, tie rod, draglink, LCA drop, brackets, and rear trackbar drop bracket. I would say the steering is planted, firm, steady, straight, but if I go into any type of correction right or left it corrects a little to much then wonders until I get it back to straight and then steady as it goes until another correction.

Does this play in steering while in park have anything to do with the over correcting, I assume this play happens while driving too but I'm not smart enough to prove it nor do I have the gumption to document and take to the dealer. I'd rather just enjoy going naked for the summer and beyond.

Sponsored