Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Interesting. It looks like the factory started using the new track bar on January 23rd, 2019.

My memory is that folks with build dates in April have reported experiencing wandering issues.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is that part number the most updated track bar? I would assume yes.

I had a scheduled appointment for July 26 I made Friday afternoon. I have a build date of 1/18/2019, so this TSB arrived for me just in time. I am also requesting an alignment so I can check toe/caster angles.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Interesting. It looks like the factory started using the new track bar on January 23rd, 2019.

My memory is that folks with build dates in April have reported experiencing wandering issues.
Mine was built April, 2019 and has wandering issues. It improved after putting the longer Mopar LCAs, but it’s still a problem (seems to be a bit worse).

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine was built April, 2019 and has wandering issues. It improved after putting the longer Mopar LCAs, but it’s still a problem (seems to be a bit worse).
What is your track bar part number?

I suspect I'm going to be adding caster via longer control arms as well.

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
New track bar installed today. Drives worse or no change. Still very loose, sucks
Curious...but do you have the part numbers of the new track bar they installed on yours, and if so, does it match the part numbers shown on this new TSB that just came out?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
What is your track bar part number?

I suspect I'm going to be adding caster via longer control arms as well.
That is a good question and I’ll have to crawl under there to check.

Fixing the toe (mine was way off) and adding more caster helped a lot and was definitely worth doing on my JL.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Just giving you guys an update. Dealer ordered a new trackbar on Friday and should have it installed today. On a completely different note, they gave me a 2.0 loaner and I couldnt be happier that i stuck with the V6. No offense to you 2.0 guys but its not for me. after about 300 miles of driving it, I cant wait to give it back! I cant understand why they made this engine and how its a 1,000 dollar upgrade.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just got back from dealer and i would say the track bar did help a lot with the wandering steering. I would say the steering feels more responsive now. I do still have the play in the steering wheel but it has been reduced. I'm now just going to wait for the release of the steering box recall and see if that will help with the dead spot in steering. My next step in meantime, when i have the funds for it, will be either the Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer or the fox factory 2.0. I see most people went with the Falcon. Is this one better than the Fox? Both seem to be similar in price

Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had massive hesitation from rolling starts for a while. Pushing all my fuses in seemed to help with that haha.
That might have been the issue with the loaner. Felt like a ton of lag followed by the boost. "not a very linear torque curve". I think that would be ok with a manual tranny and in a sports car but wasnt fun in traffic in a jeep. To each their own i guess. Everyone has their preference.

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Just got back from dealer and i would say the track bar did help a lot with the wandering steering. I would say the steering feels more responsive now. I do still have the play in the steering wheel but it has been reduced. I'm now just going to wait for the release of the steering box recall and see if that will help with the dead spot in steering. My next step in meantime, when i have the funds for it, will be either the Falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer or the fox factory 2.0. I see most people went with the Falcon. Is this one better than the Fox? Both seem to be similar in price

I have the Falcon and really like it...mine is adjustable (soft, medium and firm settings). I've never run the Fox to compare, though.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
interesting interview with Dr Death Wobble on The Jeep Talk Show podcast episode 393. topics include the JL steering issues (insufficient castor, weak track bar, death wobble). interview starts at 39:30.
This podcast is very interesting. They talk a lot about the JL steering system, and "the perfect storm" in the design where if one thing isn't dialed in and it can cause steering issues - wandering, drifting, loose steering, steering wheel shimmy, etc. They even talk about the multiple versions of the OEM steering stabilizers. I wonder what changes the 2020 JL will have - Beefier track bar? Higher caster spec range? Beefier steering stabilizer?

Last edited:

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This podcast is very interesting. They talk a lot about the JL steering system, and "the perfect storm" in the design where if one thing isn't dialed in and it can cause steering issues - wandering, drifting, loose steering, steering wheel shimmy, etc. They even talk about the multiple versions of the OEM steering stabilizers. I wonder what changes the 2020 JL will have - Beefier track bar? Higher caster spec range? Beefier steering stabilizer?

They also said that the Steering Stabilizer is only a band aid from the factory, the true underlying problem is the low caster and flimsy trackbar.
Sponsored

Last edited: