Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
If repeatable by others, This would mean that the root cause of the wander on an unmodded Jeep is caster angle?
I also replaced LCA's on my stock Rubicon made it better but not perfect. Dealer did alignment under warranty brought toe-in to max. All I can say is steering is tolerable. Checked part numbers at dealer for new track bar they said they were back ordered so no sense to bring for service. Drag link will be next also. Last thing to replace is gearbox and as others have experienced, not a for sure fix. Well worth the money to get the arms as it will make a difference and possibly get your steering where you want it.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I also replaced LCA's on my stock Rubicon made it better but not perfect. Dealer did alignment under warranty brought toe-in to max. All I can say is steering is tolerable. Checked part numbers at dealer for new track bar they said they were back ordered so no sense to bring for service. Drag link will be next also. Last thing to replace is gearbox and as others have experienced, not a for sure fix. Well worth the money to get the arms as it will make a difference and possibly get your steering where you want it.

What’s the best protocol to get the steering box replaced? I can have someone turn my steering wheel from 11:00 to 1:00 and the pitman arm doesn’t even budge, when new if I touched the wheel the tires would move.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
What’s the best protocol to get the steering box replaced? I can have someone turn my steering wheel from 11:00 to 1:00 and the pitman arm doesn’t even budge, when new if I touched the wheel the tires would move.
That’s way too much play, take it to the dealer and go with them while they test drive it. If they balk at that ask for the dealership owner to drive it !

I heard the steering box can wear from round to oval (sorry I don’t know the technical term)
causing this much play.

This steering issue is a real pain in the ass and it’s a long and tiring process that neither the dealer or mfgs wants to admit and pony up to.

It has taken 4 trips and numerous calls to get where I’m at now. Replaced stabilizer bar, track bar, steering box, 3 alignments and none of which they offered to do...it took pushing on my end to get these done. Most my suggestions were based on info from this forums great posters that had success. While not great, I can say the steering (for right now) is far, far better then it was a few months ago. Not perfect, but certainly drivable with a lot less stress.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
That’s way too much play, take it to the dealer and go with them while they test drive it. If they balk at that ask for the dealership owner to drive it !

I heard the steering box can wear from round to oval (sorry I don’t know the technical term)
causing this much play.

This steering issue is a real pain in the ass and it’s a long and tiring process that neither the dealer or mfgs wants to admit and pony up to.

It has taken 4 trips and numerous calls to get where I’m at now. Replaced stabilizer bar, track bar, steering box, 3 alignments and none of which they offered to do...it took pushing on my end to get these done. Most my suggestions were based on info from this forums great posters that had success. While not great, I can say the steering (for right now) is far, far better then it was a few months ago. Not perfect, but certainly drivable with a lot less stress.
Mine is heavily modded, so I’m dreading dealing with them on this.

I’m thinking about doing the jeep informant mod and adjusting myself.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If repeatable by others, This would mean that the root cause of the wander on an unmodded Jeep is caster angle?
Correct. With Rubi being a lifted JLU it makes sense the caster gets a bit reduced by the lift with the same factory arms. These arms should get you back some caster which will help.

Sponsored

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have someone turn your steering wheel between 11:45 and 12:15, in park, with the emergency brake on, and look under it to see if you are seeing the same as in this video. Yes, there should be some lag between the steering column and pitman arm nut reaction, but not this much.

Note: Another forum member posted this video on YouTube, it is not my video.
So I finally got underneath and took a video. Probably could dial back the input a bit, but I think this confirms quite a bit of slop between input/output.

How does this compare to other users? Is this excessive play?

Edit: Corrected privacy on the video.

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Mine is heavily modded, so I’m dreading dealing with them on this.

I’m thinking about doing the jeep informant mod and adjusting myself.
if you do, be sure to apply heat to the lock nut first because they used red loctite when assembled. a micro butane torch for 60 sec works fine.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
if you do, be sure to apply heat to the lock nut first because they used red loctite when assembled. a micro butane torch for 60 sec works fine.
Thanks I was hoping the micro torch would be enough. I nearly stared a fire using the big one soldering wires under the hood. Lol.

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Just met a steer smart Yeti adjustable track bar and i plan to put the Mopar lift kit LCA on. Hopefully that helps

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Let us know if these help. Always watching for ideas

Sponsored

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
I got a 2019 JLU Rubicon a week ago yesterday. I have the wandering issue. I have also noticed that my steering wheel is cocked a little to the left. Has anyone else with this issue noticed this?

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
I got a 2019 JLU Rubicon a week ago yesterday. I have the wandering issue. I have also noticed that my steering wheel is cocked a little to the left. Has anyone else with this issue noticed this?
Had the same issue in my new 19 Rubicon. Needed an alignment and steering wheel needed to be re-aligned. Since then drives great.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you are handy you can fix this yourself. One 15mm bolt to loosen, adjust, and tighten. It's a bit of try/repeat until you get it perfect. The dealer isn't likely to put the effort in to get it perfect....

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Did you just take it to the dealer?
Yes. I bought from Ourisman and they were great. Dropped it off, got a loaner and it was done while I was at work. They test drove it before and after and had it dialed in perfect.
All done under warranty.
Sponsored