Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Springs

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Rubicon JL 4-Door
I bought my wife a new Rubicon JL and I drove it the other day and it seems to have some play in the steering and feels like I am constantly trying to correct the direction we are traveling. I thought it was out of alignment but I went and drove another one and it felt the same way. Is anyone else feel this issue and is it just the way it is or is it just a jeep thing? We just sold our 2013 JKU and it was like that too but I expected improved steering on the new JL model. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this steering play or drifting feeling. O by the way, She loves her new ride!

IMG_9731.jpg
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Did your old JKU have 33's on it? The lager sidewalls will flex a bit causing slight drifting. At least thats what I have noticed with running 35's on my JK.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the JL drove great both at low speeds and on the highway. The steering felt tighter to me than the JK, more "car like?"
Maybe I'm just used to lifted solid axle Trucks/Jeeps.... My dad who's never owned a Jeep/Truck always comments that my modded JK's required too much input on the highway, but the only time I felt there was a problem was with heavy crosswinds...

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have driven 2 now. To me it it is just the opposite, very quick to react, with out the vague on center feel and the wander of the older, in my case 2008 JKU rubicon. After getting out of the JlU and getting into the JKU I kinda feel like I stepped out of high performance vehicle and into more of a truck like vehicle. However I suppose if i had been coming from my old vette or viper, I might have felt that the steering in the JLU was maybe the opposite. IMHO:giggle: it has been along time since i have owned a sports cars or luxury car.

Sponsored

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
Yup it’s 100% tire pressure. I’ll never forget picking up my JKU and driving it home two hours and it being all over the place. Dropped the PSI to 32 and it was worlds better.

pburke

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is my first Wrangler, a JL, and I feel like the steering is slightly loose like my early 2000's Grand Cherokee. My most recent vehicle, an F-150, had what I would consider pretty tight steering for a truck. That said, I have driven the JL for 3 weeks/700 miles and have adjusted to the steering. It does tighten up and require less input above 70 mph.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Springs

Springs

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Rubicon JL 4-Door
It did have 42 psi when we first got it but I have lowered the tire pressure to 36 psi and it still drives like I have to constantly move the steering to keep it going strait down the highway, like it needs the front end towed in. the Jeep is always puling right or left so I am always moving the steering wheel right or left to keep it going down the road. This does not seem right to me and that is why I test drove another one at the dealer and it felt the same to me. I drove our new Jeep again today and I think this can not be right and it must have an issue and someone must have the same issue or is it possible it is just out of alignment from the factory. Our jeep has 150 miles on it and it we live 2 miles from town and we are typically driving 55 on the highway for 2 miles at a time and it feels like a workout every time we go to town. Any advice is appreciated.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
It did have 42 psi when we first got it but I have lowered the tire pressure to 36 psi and it still drives like I have to constantly move the steering to keep it going strait down the highway, like it needs the front end towed in. the Jeep is always puling right or left so I am always moving the steering wheel right or left to keep it going down the road. This does not seem right to me and that is why I test drove another one at the dealer and it felt the same to me. I drove our new Jeep again today and I think this can not be right and it must have an issue and someone must have the same issue or is it possible it is just out of alignment from the factory. Our jeep has 150 miles on it and it we live 2 miles from town and we are typically driving 55 on the highway for 2 miles at a time and it feels like a workout every time we go to town. Any advice is appreciated.
It's a wrangler. That is just how they are. There is a bit of a dead spot. You get used to it. It is not going to drive like a car

R&R

First Name
Flloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P51D Yellow Submarine
One of the reviewers noted that the steering on the Wrangler intentionally has somewhat of a dead zone so that it isn't jerked around too much when you hit a rock offroading for instance. The Great Ape confirmed this.
Really, how did they accomplish that? Sounds like anyone who wants a better handling and steering Jeep for street, or most other instances just has to adjust this out.

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock

Keep dropping the tire pressure. To me 36 is still too high, I run 30 to 32 tops You are always going to have some correction at higher speed because the thing is a brick on wheels, but dropping the tire pressure a bit more should make a difference. What tires are on it, did you get a Rubicon with the KO2’s?
Sponsored