Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
What about no feel in the steering wheel? When I hit bumps, the steering wheel doesn't move. Probably driven 30 different cars over 30 years and never had no feel in the wheel. I feel like its electronic steering without feedback. Anyone else have this?
Sponsored

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same steering/wandering issues and have tried for months to get the dealer and FCA to fix it to no avail. Thinking I have to go out on my own. BUT What is the impact to tire life when adjusting the caster and toe outside of spec? Are tires wearing uneven and lasting a lot less?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
What about no feel in the steering wheel? When I hit bumps, the steering wheel doesn't move. Probably driven 30 different cars over 30 years and never had no feel in the wheel. I feel like its electronic steering without feedback. Anyone else have this?
Lift it, put bigger tires and i guarantee you will feel the road again and you will want the no feeling back. Bumpsteers annoying as hell.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
when you drive a JLUR and two hands on the wheel are not enough to keep it between the white lines...
8D6BF05E-C70A-40E5-8E54-E5F56C75CFD2.jpeg

sorry, couldn't resist.

Im not making jokes at anyone who has these issues, mine is actually being repurchased by FCA for this reason. it sucks to go through this, so wanted to try and at least make someone chuckle who may be having an otherwise crappy day. (this was my wife driving, and her idea. she also tries to always find humor to lighten the mood).

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Got my JL back from the dealer yesterday after receiving a new track bar. I would say my previous 3 inches of play is now 1.5 inches. I've been complaining for almost a year now, so maybe there is still some hope. The fix was a Star case dated 2/26/ 2019.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Got my JL back from the dealer yesterday after receiving a new track bar. I would say my previous 3 inches of play is now 1.5 inches. I've been complaining for almost a year now, so maybe there is still some hope. The fix was a Star case dated 2/26/ 2019.
I’m about half way there too.
Tolerable at best while a better fix is being explored.
In a few weeks I will have the alignment changed to what others here are recommending.

Still want to know what for sure to have them set everything for since I’m 100% stock Sahara

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
I have the same steering/wandering issues and have tried for months to get the dealer and FCA to fix it to no avail. Thinking I have to go out on my own. BUT What is the impact to tire life when adjusting the caster and toe outside of spec? Are tires wearing uneven and lasting a lot less?
Have you checked to see if your ball joints are loose. I would do that first before you change anything.

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Question for the suspension and alignment experts. Does the caster need to be equal on both sides? I ask because even from the factory mine isnt and there is no way to adjust with out new lcas. Before i put the mopar lift lcas on to get more caster wondering if i have a bigger issue.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Question for the suspension and alignment experts. Does the caster need to be equal on both sides? I ask because even from the factory mine isnt and there is no way to adjust with out new lcas. Before i put the mopar lift lcas on to get more caster wondering if i have a bigger issue.
They don't have to be exact, but this shows how much off they can be. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...heel-alignment-specs-toe-caster-camber.17832/ You could get the alignment specs first, then loosen and retighten both LCAs while it is on the ground, then get another alignment report. Sometimes this will change the exact position of the LCAs, especially if they were originally tightened at the factory while it was not on the ground - I'm not sure where the factory tightens them. And of course, this could make the caster more off than before depending on the before/after position.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Most run a little higher on passenger ~.2-.5 deg.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Every single person who’s having these issues and the slew of other issues with their jeep should push for buybacks. Jeep is screwing the public royally and if no one does anything about it it’s going to continue. Make them take them back !!

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Mine is going in on Thursday and I’m probably getting a loaner.

I filled out a survey I was emailed about my Jeep and put in all the steering issues. Requested a call back and they promptly called me with a case number. A couple parts are supposedly going to be replaced. The rep had the dealer on a three way call and told them to make sure I had a loaner if needed as I have Jeep Wave. Last time I didn’t get one. Apparently having Jeep Wave gets you the loaner?

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Also with all the buybacks I’m seeing regarding steering, you would think they know there is an issue, they just won’t admit to it to keep customers quiet.

I’m curious if they just don’t know how to fix it. It is a new type of steering for the Jeep after all.
Sponsored