Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a 2019 with bad wandering (no wobble). They put on a trackbar, set alignment at .20 total toein, and put a fox stabilizer on it. I'm still complaining as it isn't right so now they want use a new factory stabilizer, loosen all bolts, retighten while on alignment rack. Refusing to replace steering box. There isn't anything left to replace.

I bought the LCA's from the 2" lift kit but don't want to put them on yet until I can be assured the steering box isn't toast.
I had the same thing installed on my Jeep and although it still has the loose steering, the updated components have greatly improved the ride quality and is a lot more solid. Much less wandering and now feels planted on the road, not to mention no more death wobble which was my main concern. I can deal with the looseness but it is still somewhat annoying. I have the same play in my steering box and pitman arm as CaliJeep posted above but at least I know where its coming from.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 with bad wandering (no wobble). They put on a trackbar, set alignment at .20 total toein, and put a fox stabilizer on it. I'm still complaining as it isn't right so now they want use a new factory stabilizer, loosen all bolts, retighten while on alignment rack. Refusing to replace steering box. There isn't anything left to replace.

I bought the LCA's from the 2" lift kit but don't want to put them on yet until I can be assured the steering box isn't toast.
you and Imare literally in the same boat. with mine I am pushing for the new drag link part, not the steering box. I actually just planned to put on a Steer smarts one or Synergy but had a call from FCA rep about the Fox stabilizer that was put to let me know that was actually a temp fix until the factory new ones were released. she said it needs to go back again. I asked about the drag link and I was told that would void warranty, so I am leaving it alone.

in my case I will be doing a repurchase and re-order. I did not want to go through that, but at this point I guess it is for the best. Jeep keep working with FCA, they have been very helpful for me (even when dealership was not) and have also been helpful to many others on here. just try and be as patient as you can, and try to be as optimistic as possible. it has been a major hassle and very frustrating but I do think it will work out in the end.

good luck!

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
Start watching at 2:08, Gladiator with loose steering.
Firstly, thanks for posting this as it shows the loose steering issue has not to this point been addressed even in a new model. Very disappointing.

Secondly....Jesus that is an ugly truck made worse by that soft top sitting like a mainsail up there.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I gave up on the dealer on getting parts for the failed drag link tie rod. It's pushing two months for this thing! But. it doesn't matter now, I just finished installing the Synergy Drag Link. This solves the flopping in the tie rod and 90% of the play in the steering wheel.

I'm very satisfied with the improvement. Dealer refuses to replace the track bar even though I showed them my video of the excessive play, this will eventually be replaced in the future as well. What good is this warranty if they can pick and choose what they want to fix!

Also, been waiting 60 days for the bearings for the rear axle! This really angers me.

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
I have some wander but I feel its due to loose steering. Between 11:45 and 12:15 on the steering wheel nothing seems to happen at all. I also don't really feel much from the wheel, no feedback. If I run over a stretch of small potholes in a row, the steering wheel doesn't move at all. If I do the same thing in my other cars, the wheel moves all over the place and you can feel the bumps through the wheel. In the Jeep, I only feel holes and bumps through the seat, the wheel is dead. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?

Sponsored

WANDRR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Update, took my 2019 JLUS to Northridge 4x4 in SLC. My toe was set at .32 in, too much, so they straightened that out and put adjustable LCA's on which changed Castor from 4.7 to 6. What a difference, 90% better! It's actually driveable, steering feels about 50% tighter, and the wandering is approved 90%. The recalled stabilizer also showed up at dealer so had it installed, not sure if it makes a difference or not, hopefully with positive caster the stabilizer won't need to work as hard and should be fine. As others have said, change the caster, thank you to those in this forum who have suggested it as well as Northridge auto telling me the same thing and getting it done.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I have some wander but I feel its due to loose steering. Between 11:45 and 12:15 on the steering wheel nothing seems to happen at all. I also don't really feel much from the wheel, no feedback. If I run over a stretch of small potholes in a row, the steering wheel doesn't move at all. If I do the same thing in my other cars, the wheel moves all over the place and you can feel the bumps through the wheel. In the Jeep, I only feel holes and bumps through the seat, the wheel is dead. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?
Yes this is what some, not all, are experiencing. It's hit or miss with 2018 and newer wranglers. Unfortunately, I fall on the "loose steering" side of the road. I just got on NHTSA website and low and behold, there are 700 complaints for the 2018's, and 90% deal with this loose steering! My issue lies in the fact that many do NOT have this steering problem. I know because I test drove 6 before placing my order and 3 drove perfectly normal! So if it does not affect ALL wranglers, then how can they say the bad ones are "driving as designed"!

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have someone turn your steering wheel between 11:45 and 12:15, in park, with the emergency brake on, and look under it to see if you are seeing the same as in this video. Yes, there should be some lag between the steering column and pitman arm nut reaction, but not this much.

Note: Another forum member posted this video on YouTube, it is not my video.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Yes this is what some, not all, are experiencing. It's hit or miss with 2018 and newer wranglers. Unfortunately, I fall on the "loose steering" side of the road. I just got on NHTSA website and low and behold, there are 700 complaints for the 2018's, and 90% deal with this loose steering! My issue lies in the fact that many do NOT have this steering problem. I know because I test drove 6 before placing my order and 3 drove perfectly normal! So if it does not affect ALL wranglers, then how can they say the bad ones are "driving as designed"!
2019 Wranglers shows 29 complaints so far, again 90% steering issues. Someone is going to have to get seriously injured or worse before something is done about this. Sad.

Sponsored

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
What do the 2" mopar lift kit LCA's change the caster to? I ordered and just received them. Wondering if I should have gotten adjustable now. I have no lift, just stock rubicon.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What do the 2" mopar lift kit LCA's change the caster to? I ordered and just received them. Wondering if I should have gotten adjustable now. I have no lift, just stock rubicon.
People have reported that it increases it by 1. So 5.8 becomes 6.8, 5.7 becomes 6.7, etc. If you use aftermarket, then 99% of Jeep dealerships will not warranty related suspension or steering parts.
Sponsored