Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Only to my rear axle in which was about to explode.

They are denying my Steering/Wandering issues.
What do you mean by "denying"? Have you taken it to a dealer? What did the dealer say?

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
What do you mean by "denying"? Have you taken it to a dealer? What did the dealer say?
The mechanic conducting the test drive cannot verify any wandering or steering issues.
My question is, what qualifies him to be the Subject Matter Expert on how to diagnose Steering issues other than ASE certification.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The mechanic conducting the test drive cannot verify any wandering or steering issues.
My question is, what qualifies him to be the Subject Matter Expert on how to diagnose Steering issues other than ASE certification.
Test drive an equivalent JL model from the dealer's lot. Then compare and show them the difference in steering.

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
FCA just emailed me about my Steering/Wandering issues.

I quote them "They (dealer) did duplicate some swaying in the steering performance; However based on the current information they determined this is a result of the over-sized tires that are on the vehicle, and any further diagnosis will require us to have the vehicle returned to its factory configuration."

For the record:
Tires are 285/75/R17 SAME AS PROUDCTION JEEP JL RUBICONS COME WITH

So, FCA is aware that there is a "safety" issue concerning my Jeep, however refuse to fix it unless I install my factory wheels.

HOW ABOUT THAT JEEPERS?

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

I quote them "They (dealer) did duplicate some swaying in the steering performance; However based on the current information they determined this is a result of the over-sized tires that are on the vehicle, and any further diagnosis will require us to have the vehicle returned to its factory configuration."

For the record:

So, FCA is aware that there is a "safety" issue concerning my Jeep, however refuse to fix it unless I install my factory wheels.

HOW ABOUT THAT JEEPERS?
I know it sucks, but I could have told you they would weasel their way out of any work if you are aftermarket, even when aftermarket is actual Jeep parts. I'm not sure if it applies to all manufacturers, but Jeep dealers (service department) are literally vermin.

Your realistic options are bitch louder or (the easier way) take it to a different dealer.

Keep in mind that I've had my Jeep at the dealer for 2 out of its first 12 months trying to fix wandering steering. I know what you're going through.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
One of the dealers I went to would not perform an alignment on my Rubicon because I have a Fox steering stabilizer installed. They said the after market S/S was throwing the alignment off. (it just keeps getting better and better)

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

For the record:

HOW ABOUT THAT JEEPERS?
I hate saying this...as a matter of fact I really really really hate saying this. What does Jeepcares think about that answer? Did you ask them for assistance? Not that they help anyone but you could ask them if aftermarket tires would excuse the dealership of any work.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Reality is, for a manufacturer to cover an issue on a modified vehicle, they would have to eliminate the modifications aren't causing or part of the issue. I don't blame them whether I think it shouldn't make that much of a difference in this case. Eliminate any and all modifications from the equation and start at zero. Do you have your stock wheels/tires?

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI that 36 PSI might still be too high. I know it’s the recommended pressure, but I did the “chalk test” (make a chalk mark across the tread from one sidewall to the other, roll the Jeep 100-200’ and see if the chaulk disappears uniformly or middle first or edges first). My PSI where the chalk line disappeared uniformly was 33-34psi on my 287/70r17s. I set my cold tire pressure at 31-32psi (to allow for hot tires increasing the pressure) and that helped the steering compared to 36 psi.

I also made sure my toe in was closer to 1/4”, rather than “0” that came from the factory and that helped with tracking and on center feel. You can easily do a DIY alignment measurement.

Best of luck

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Found out today the Fox stabilizer was not a permanent fix, and when the updated Mopar stabilizer Comes in I will need to take it back in to have them swapped. Also then need to wait and have it looked at by regional rep due the issues with the drag link and still having lots of play on the highway. Luckily it is not too bad under 50, or on trails. Looks like it will be a buyback after all as it will be back in the shop for who knows how long

With that said, keep calm and be courteous to your FCA person. While this has been a royal pain, in the end I feel they will take care of me. I get to keep the jeep until the buyback is completed so no down time without a vehicle. I won't be going on long road trips, but at least I can keep driving around here and enjoy it.

At this point it looks like with the timing, i will be done with the buyback and ready to order new one in late june or July. If the 2020s are opening up in July I will wait and order then.

I know its hard to stay positive, but from what I have seen Jeep really does want to help and make it right for their buyer. This is much better customer service than I had with GM years ago. Good luck everyone, and hope things work out for you all one way or another.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I finally took my 2018 JLUR in for service. It wandered a bit but I semi got used to it. The bigger issue was it now had Death Wobble. My dealer was excellent and had the latest damper in stock (68251580-AE version). He said mine was 100% defective. He also did a software update ( assume for the steering). I have to say, it drives MUCH better. I did not have high hopes but it is definitely now what I would consider normal Jeep steering.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I finally took my 2018 JLUR in for service. It wandered a bit but I semi got used to it. The bigger issue was it now had Death Wobble. My dealer was excellent and had the latest damper in stock (68251580-AE version). He said mine was 100% defective. He also did a software update ( assume for the steering). I have to say, it drives MUCH better. I did not have high hopes but it is definitely now what I would consider normal Jeep steering.
Just be aware that the damper only masks DW. The source behind your DW is still there.

WANDRR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well, dealer has had my Jeep for two weeks, I was having them deal with loose steering, speed wobble, and wandering/not wanting to center. I was called in to go for a drive with Chrysler regional manager and tech manager. Guess what, it drives as designed is what I've been told, way better than previous Jeeps. I've lost my complete faith in Chrysler and will never purchase another product from them, absolutely disgusted.

I'm now going to take it to Northridge 4x4, have them put on a Teraflex stabilizer, I don't trust Mopar, and adjustable lower control arms. Fix it myself as others have done. Chrysler is not going to own that they've made a poor product. What a shame. I'm thru buying American cars, sad.
Sponsored