Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I've been following this thread since it's inception, and my JLUR exhibits quite a few of the same issues as the others here, I work in a CJDR dealership and am a used car manager and have worked at this dealer for over 26 years. I did most of the things listed here in the forum when I first received the Jeep, seat the fuses, check and lower the tire pressures (34 all the way around settled it down a lot.) I put it in the shop at 400 miles to have the cruise control recall done and complained also about the wandering and loose feeling steering. The recall was done, the steering complaint came back as "drives as designed." Fast forward a few months, I had a JLUS with lift brought to me on an appraisal that drove absolutely perfect, no slop in the steering, no pull, no drift. So back to the shop I go with mine, they ordered the new steering stabilizer. Once that was installed the steering tightened up just a little but the wandering problem persisted along with a drift to the right. So back in again, at this time there were other customers bringing their JL's in with similar issues so the techs are working with the factory to try to figure out what's going on. This trip they did an alignment (reset the toe per the STAR document), checked all the front end components for proper torque and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Jeep still wanders down the road and has a drift to the right though it is very slightly better. They ordered the new track bar which is now listed in the STAR bulletin and we're waiting for it to arrive. I was talking with our shop foreman who has been personally involved with my Jeep and he mentioned that our tech advisor (direct liaison to the factory) had been in earlier in the week, he shared that this is an issue getting a lot of attention in Detroit and they are working on multiple things to correct the wandering. He mentioned that one of the things they are looking at and actively testing is reprogramming the electric power steering to reduce the boost substantially and early reports are very promising, not a total fix but a noticeable improvement. So I would expect that to become a TSB at some point in the hopefully not too distant future. It's pretty obvious that there isn't a magic bullet that will fix this problem that so many of us have but they are aware and working on it. I absolutely love my Jeep and am not ready to throw in the towel at this point.

Thanks for the "inside view".

I know FCA doesn't want this situation with the steering to continue or escalate. Most people think it should be a simple/quick fix, but a lot of research goes into resolving such issues (so much info from so many sources). Big diff between a handful of test mules vs a mass produced vehicle. Every manufacturer has the same issues. Several years back I had a Range Rover with a new electronic steering system.... went through two different boxes. FCA will get it Right.
Sponsored

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
For those interested the Star online bulletin is S1819000003 dated 2/26/19.

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the star case for the toe or the star case for the track bar?
The bulletin is titled "Steering feels loose and or wanders" it has the whole works in there, alignment tighten components, over center torque test on the steering gear and the new track bar.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Last edited:

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Sounds like your dealer has blown you off as well.
My steering box was changed and the new track bar installed 2 days ago and I see a definite improvement. Maybe not 100% since I’m being cautious, but as of today I would say it’s like 60% better. It’s a real start and maybe a few little tweaks would get it a tad better. Much easier and safer to drive.
Get this done right away!
No, my dealer service manager has been incredible and contact on a regular basis. Its FCA that has blown us off. Heck I even left another message with the engineer this time with my last 8 Vin# and Case # to no avail.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I've been following this thread since it's inception, and my JLUR exhibits quite a few of the same issues as the others here, I work in a CJDR dealership and am a used car manager and have worked at this dealer for over 26 years. I did most of the things listed here in the forum when I first received the Jeep, seat the fuses, check and lower the tire pressures (34 all the way around settled it down a lot.) I put it in the shop at 400 miles to have the cruise control recall done and complained also about the wandering and loose feeling steering. The recall was done, the steering complaint came back as "drives as designed." Fast forward a few months, I had a JLUS with lift brought to me on an appraisal that drove absolutely perfect, no slop in the steering, no pull, no drift. So back to the shop I go with mine, they ordered the new steering stabilizer. Once that was installed the steering tightened up just a little but the wandering problem persisted along with a drift to the right. So back in again, at this time there were other customers bringing their JL's in with similar issues so the techs are working with the factory to try to figure out what's going on. This trip they did an alignment (reset the toe per the STAR document), checked all the front end components for proper torque and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Jeep still wanders down the road and has a drift to the right though it is very slightly better. They ordered the new track bar which is now listed in the STAR bulletin and we're waiting for it to arrive. I was talking with our shop foreman who has been personally involved with my Jeep and he mentioned that our tech advisor (direct liaison to the factory) had been in earlier in the week, he shared that this is an issue getting a lot of attention in Detroit and they are working on multiple things to correct the wandering. He mentioned that one of the things they are looking at and actively testing is reprogramming the electric power steering to reduce the boost substantially and early reports are very promising, not a total fix but a noticeable improvement. So I would expect that to become a TSB at some point in the hopefully not too distant future. It's pretty obvious that there isn't a magic bullet that will fix this problem that so many of us have but they are aware and working on it. I absolutely love my Jeep and am not ready to throw in the towel at this point.

Interesting but one thing doesn't make sense.

The original TSB was to increase the Electric power steering pump pressure ???????

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Hey guys , just discovered that my drag link is bad as in the video at the pitman arm. There is a brief pause at center and a cracking thump felt in the ball joint as the wheel is moved back and forth. This in my case would explain the excessive play in my wheel. Over the past couple of months it has been getting looser, this would explain it since the joint is failing. Of course, last week when I took it in, they didn’t find anything wrong.

Dropping it off next week so they can see it for themselves. Also will have the track bar checked. I’m really hopeful, but I’ve been disappointed before.

I would recommend doing this check yourself.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys , just discovered that my drag link is bad as in the video at the pitman arm. There is a brief pause at center and a cracking thump felt in the ball joint as the wheel is moved back and forth. This in my case would explain the excessive play in my wheel. Over the past couple of months it has been getting looser, this would explain it since the joint is failing. Of course, last week when I took it in, they didn’t find anything wrong.

Dropping it off next week so they can see it for themselves. Also will have the track bar checked. I’m really hopeful, but I’ve been disappointed before.

I would recommend doing this check yourself.
There is a new and improved OEM Link Rod as of mid Feb 2019 - it connects to the pitman arm. The new OEM Mopar part number is 68258760AD. This is the original Link Rod with a problem.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.50.59 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I sent a screen shot of that to my dealership. Let's see if anything comes from it
Tell them if they look up that Star case #, they will see that it was updated from Oct 2018 to Feb 2019 and that it has new info added to it - new JL track bar, new toe specs, etc. It does not mention the new drag link that was made available the same time as the JL track bar. I'm not sure why.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Tell them if they look up that Star case #, they will see that it was updated from Oct 2018 to Feb 2019 and that it has new info added to it - new JL track bar, new toe specs, etc. It does not mention the new drag link that was made available the same time as the JL track bar. I'm not sure why.
I think people need to make the dealers aware of the drag link issues along with the track bar Star Case. If you just mention the Star Case, they won't be looking at the drag link.

They didn't bother to look for the Star Case last week on mine. They just test drove it. I mentioned it this morning and they didn't know anything about it. I said there is and I told them to make sure they look at it when I drop it off again, for the 9th time!
Sponsored