Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wow. I couldn’t be more pissed off at Jeep. The highway wandering and play in wheel is rediculous. I took it in to get the tsb updates and they would not do it. They took it for a ride and blamed it on my tires. Are you kidding?? 35 x 12 all terrain Procomp.
Tony, find a fellow Jeep owner and borrow some stockers .
Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Tony, find a fellow Jeep owner and borrow some stockers .
Great idea. Also check your caster at an alignment shop. My JL wandered on the road as well. Caster was really low from the factory. Adjusted caster to 6+ degrees with some adjustable front lower control arms now drives straight as an arrow.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Done. And it’s still junk steering.

Next “solution”...
Sorry to hear that. What's the production date of your JL?

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I have 3-4 inch side to side dead space on my wheel before the wheels turn. Sorry I haven’t read this whole chain.

Sponsored

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Wow. I couldn’t be more pissed off at Jeep. The highway wandering and play in wheel is rediculous. I took it in to get the tsb updates and they would not do it. They took it for a ride and blamed it on my tires. Are you kidding?? 35 x 12 all terrain Procomp.
Just go to another dealer. Some dealers are willing to help and some are just a$$holes. My dealer is working with me, and I have had mine in their shop twice to do various things, and will be going back soon to have my steering box replaced. They suggested doing that, and it's not the FCA telling them to do it because it's before a certain build date. I hope this will do the trick for me.

I also email them links (trying to be proactive) from this forum of things that people are doing that fix the problems. They appreciate it because they are just as lost as we are.

oh btw, I'm also running 35 x 12 and I replaced the steering stabilizer in it, they said that doesn't matter

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I have 3-4 inch side to side dead space on my wheel before the wheels turn. Sorry I haven’t read this whole chain.
Along with adding Caster have your Toe-in checked. It has helped others and easy to do.

I bought a Moab for my daughter at Christmas and had to have the steering box replaced.... We had the same problem you're having. Perfect now... 1 finger driving at 60mph+

Good Luck!

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
I have a 2 1/2 inch budget boost with adjustable lower control arms on my JLU sport with 33 inch milestar Patagonias. I have about 3 inches (1 1/2 either way) of dead space in my steering before the wheels respond. The lower control arms corrected the wandering all over, but the dead space drives me crazy when I go to make small adjustments driving down the road. I have to turn the wheel so far to get a response I often end up overcorrecting. I did adjust the steering box 1/8 turn, and then a 1/4 turn. It did tighten the steering, but not the dead space. (The steering got so tight it wouldn’t return to center as easy) so I adjusted it back to original setting.

The dealer looked at it and drove it a couple miles. They noticed the dead spot but chaulked it up to my lift and tires. Even though I noticed the issue prior.

I’m trying to make my case to get a new Steering box as I still have the AC version. My build date is Oct 2017. @JeepCares do you have a suggestion to prompt my dealer to get the AD steering box? Or will I have to return my Jeep to stock in order to get a warranty box?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2 1/2 inch budget boost with adjustable lower control arms on my JLU sport with 33 inch milestar Patagonias. I have about 3 inches (1 1/2 either way) of dead space in my steering before the wheels respond. The lower control arms corrected the wandering all over, but the dead space drives me crazy when I go to make small adjustments driving down the road. I have to turn the wheel so far to get a response I often end up overcorrecting. I did adjust the steering box 1/8 turn, and then a 1/4 turn. It did tighten the steering, but not the dead space. (The steering got so tight it wouldn’t return to center as easy) so I adjusted it back to original setting.

The dealer looked at it and drove it a couple miles. They noticed the dead spot but chaulked it up to my lift and tires. Even though I noticed the issue prior.

I’m trying to make my case to get a new Steering box as I still have the AC version. My build date is Oct 2017. @JeepCares do you have a suggestion to prompt my dealer to get the AD steering box? Or will I have to return my Jeep to stock in order to get a warranty box?
Have someone turn your steering wheel back and forth within the dead space while you look where the drag link connects to the pitman arm. There are a few videos that have been posted recently that shows that the pitman arm is moving but there is a delay in the pitman arm / drag link connection. If the pitman arm is moving within the dead space of your steering wheel, then most likely it isn't the steering box. If the pitman arm isn't moving within the dead space, then it is probably the steering box. Remember to look at the part of the pitman arm that is bolted to the steering box.

Last edited:

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU

Go to another dealer. My Jeep has a build date of 7-18 and my dealer is replacing my steering box. I didn't ask them to do that, they just noticed it was loose. I brought it to them 2 other times and they tried other things to fix my steering issue. first time they by re-torquing my front steering mechanisms and did a front alignment, second time they increased the toe-in to the max.

Sponsored

Orangeman

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
OK we shall see how this all pans out!!! October 2018 order New JLUR Delivered Dec 31 2018 shows on door sticker 11-18 build.
Steering was questionable from get go, BUT Me, I'm thinking is me or is it?? Came here and found opps maybe NOT Me!! Now I am on my 4th JEEP Wrangler so I feel as though I understand a thing or 3, Since 2004 2 door sport standard tranny, next 2011 2 door Rubi standard tranny, 2013 JKU Rubi 3.6 auto and now a 19 JLU Rubi 3.6 auto 55K boat anchor!!? IDK, into Dealership today for Steering AND the dreaded 3.6 Head tube antifreeze leak! Sick to say the least under 2000 miles and 45 day@ owning. UGH

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Mine has been at the dealer since yesterday for the funky steering. They were very hesitant to admit it was a Jeep issue and NOT my imagination, but finally put on their big boy pants and said that it was not right. Although they don’t want to hear about possible solutions that others have done. No idea what they are finding since they obviously are not believers in calling and keeping people posted.
Bet I’ll be back a 3 rd. time .

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Go to another dealer. My Jeep has a build date of 7-18 and my dealer is replacing my steering box. I didn't ask them to do that, they just noticed it was loose. I brought it to them 2 other times and they tried other things to fix my steering issue. first time they by re-torquing my front steering mechanisms and did a front alignment, second time they increased the toe-in to the max.
Dealer name please . ..he is Very unusual and actually believes you and agrees. Wow

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither has FCA .....or their dealers. Not lol.

Last edited:

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has been at the dealer since yesterday for the funky steering. They were very hesitant to admit it was a Jeep issue and NOT my imagination, but finally put on their big boy pants and said that it was not right. Although they don’t want to hear about possible solutions that others have done. No idea what they are finding since they obviously are not believers in calling and keeping people posted.
Bet I’ll be back a 3 rd. time .
Tell the dealer to tell Mike Manley it is not right. Might be the 2nd dealer with real decernment and diagnostic skills. Imagine your doctor telling you that tumor on your brain is just a Jeep thing....they're all like that.
Sponsored