Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

brettJLg

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLSU
Is this something that the FCA is directing them to do or is it the dealership taking it on themselves?
It seemed like a genuine concern that the dealer was taking a bit of own accord to do so, knowing that they have very unhappy customers. Worse scenario for people with lifts! Glad mine is still stock. Dealership is Landmark in NE Atlanta.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I guess I should have taken the Jeep in for repair, sooner. :headbang:
Not necessarily. Some people are on their 2nd or 3rd 68251580AD version of the steering stabilizer and are still having problems. So you might get one that has the bugs worked out if they flushed through the early inventory yet. Some people opted for an aftermarket steering stabilizer versus going for a 4th. Then again, something like loose steering components could be wearing out the steering stabilizer. Who knows.

Sponsored

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Not necessarily. Some people are on their 2nd or 3rd 68251580AD version of the steering stabilizer and are still having problems. So you might get one that has the bugs worked out if they flushed through the early inventory yet. Some people opted for an aftermarket steering stabilizer versus going for a 4th. Then again, something like loose steering components could be wearing out the steering stabilizer. Who knows.
I think you’re right. The steering stabilizer is probably just a bandaid, and does not address the underlying problem. Also, when I was at the dealership, the parts manager told me that all of the Mopar stabilizers were “junk” and tried to sell me a Fox unit for $200.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
As Cali noted I'm currently on my third and still having the same problems. The first AD version they installed it felt awesome for about the first 200 miles and then all went to shit shortly thereafter. Now my steering and wobble are far worse than its ever been. 2018 JLUS w/ 3k miles.
#Jeepcares #whereareyou?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As Cali noted I'm currently on my third and still having the same problems. The first AD version they installed it felt awesome for about the first 200 miles and then all went to shit shortly thereafter. Now my steering and wobble are far worse than its ever been. 2018 JLUS w/ 3k miles.
#Jeepcares #whereareyou?
Sounds like something else could be causing your steering stabilizers to go bad. It could be a bad batch of steering stabilizers, but it wouldn't hurt to do a quick check on a different potential problem in parallel. For example, have you verified they checked the torque? Here is an example, including pictures - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-184#post-562181

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Sounds like something else could be causing your steering stabilizers to go bad. It could be a bad batch of steering stabilizers, but it wouldn't hurt to do a quick check on a different potential problem in parallel. For example, have you verified they checked the torque? Here is an example, including pictures - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-184#post-562181
I need to go over all them myself as soon as the weather warms up here. As my recent work order stated, the "16 point front-end inspection was performed and everything is torqued and within specs". I am very curious now to check my cotter pins... I don't trust them whatsoever and need to desperately find a competent dealership.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
A new steering stabilizer is not the answer if you are experiencing loose steering. I replaced my OEM stabilizer with the Falcon 2.2 and I still have the issue. What it will help with is preventing death wobble tho....and that's something I never want to experience

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I need to go over all them myself as soon as the weather warms up here. As my recent work order stated, the "16 point front-end inspection was performed and everything is torqued and within specs". I am very curious now to check my cotter pins... I don't trust them whatsoever and need to desperately find a competent dealership.
You can at least check the upper ball joint nuts cotter pins as an indicator sooner versus later even when it is cold out. Just turn the steering wheel hard left or right so you can see into the wheel well. Shine a flashlight and look at the cotter pins. If you can, take a picture and post it. Then you don't have to wait until the weather warms up to bring it back to the dealership. In my case, they said checking torque wasn't under warranty. I said, fine, I'll pay for it. They said I'd have to make another appointment and bring it back when they had time. So I brought it to a 4x4 shop that I trusted to check it since I was going to have to pay for it. Glad I did, almost every steering related component wasn't even close to torque specs.

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
Picked up my JLUR last night, drove 100 yards and entered the freeway, damn thing was all of the road. i was hope to be one of the lucky ones, so much for that...

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Picked up my JLUR last night, drove 100 yards and entered the freeway, damn thing was all of the road. i was hope to be one of the lucky ones, so much for that...
Did you pick it up from service or do you mean you just bought it? And is it a 2018 or 2019?

OkRube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
49 cj3a, 08 JKU, 18 JLUR
I’ve been fighting this wandering steering since the day I drove it home, the first thing I did was turn the steering gear adjuster slightly over 1/4 turn-that helped a little, took some of the dead spot out of it. Still unhappy with how I had to steer the thing constantly to try to stay in my lane, especially on a windy day, I put on the Mopar lower control arms from the 2” lift kit-it helped a little too, took some of the wandering out but still bad. Yesterday I took the stabilizer off and went for a drive.....it’s perfect, drives like any other vehicle, even better than my JK. Actually drove around smiling just because of the relief of having it drive right- I was seriously having remorse for even buying the thing. I probably wouldn’t recommend anyone going stabilizer-less unless they have adjustable LCAs and have the castor around 6*.
Sponsored