Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Well that went ok, the screw did have locktite and we had a heck of a time getting it loose to make the adjustment. We decided to adjust the screw until the front wheels turned with the steering wheel. In other words with the Jeep running and standing outside of it I could literally turn my steering wheel almost three inches before the front wheels would react. Instead of deciding to turn the screw a set amount based on others actions we used this as our base, get the wheels to turn with the steering wheel. We went 1/16 and there was a small improvement, then went to 1/8 of a turn and saw more improvement. We then continued until we were just short of 1/4 of a turn. It appeared as though the wheels were "synched" up pretty well with the steering wheel so we stopped. I ran it with the falcon 2.2 on medium and on firm. Definitely still has a bit of play while driving though it is much better. The wheel did firm up quite a bit but honestly I still like the feel of the firm setting on the stabilizer. I was able to set the cruise and enjoy a highway drive without constant correction so that is nice. All in all this was the biggest improvement yet for the handling issues, though I would still prefer the feel of my 2014 JKUS over this. There is no doubt in my mind that the gear box is the biggest issue for the handling problems, bottom line is Jeep needs to find a better steering box that will work in conjunction with the computer and recall the POS boxes that we are all having issues with. No doubt in my mind that all of our gear boxes are going to react differently and there can be no clear instruction on this fix, each vehicle will need to be adjusted based on handling. Right now after a few short test drives I kinda wish we had gone another 1/16 as there is still a small dead spot in the wheel. I really hated to mess with the gear box but it is absolutely necessary for those of us having this issue. This is not a problem with the steering assist, in simple terms it is a problem with the steering gear box working with the steering assist and quite obviously there are some gear boxes that are adjusted correctly and some that are all over the board. Help FCA...….you are our only hope....LOL!

Chewi
It is a POS steering set up and I'm damned tired of it.
Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
What's your build date. If its prior 5/8 there is a star case to remove the steering box and test it and install a new one. Moving the set screw is a no no with Chrysler. They just finished ours yesterday and wow that's what 50k should drive like. I will be posting star case as soon as I have everything.
May 8 cutoff is ridiculous. Mine was built the following week and it has crap steering. I currently have a JK rental on vacation and will report back on my comparison with my JL.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
What's your build date. If its prior 5/8 there is a star case to remove the steering box and test it and install a new one. Moving the set screw is a no no with Chrysler. They just finished ours yesterday and wow that's what 50k should drive like. I will be posting star case as soon as I have everything.
Build date is June, already tried and got the "it drives as designed". Honestly I get where you are coming from but dealer has been clueless and I am sick and tired of fighting this POS down the road. 5400 miles and no fix so I decided to fix it myself. I could care less what FCA thinks, this is my daily driver and I can barely keep it on the road so if they are concerned they should give us a fix.

Last edited:

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
I'm with Chewi adjusting gear box was the last thing I wanted to do. It seems finding a dealer to take you seriously is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I'm sorry I take that back, finding a manufacturer of a product, to stand behind it and make it safe is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Those of you who have been able to be lucky enough to have your dealer or FCA get your steering issues resolved, that's great. The rest of us are on our own. Thankfully when my Falcon 2.2 arrives and is installed I will be good to go. Still hoping FCA comes up with a fix, but I'm not gonna bet my life on it.

Paul Hess

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Sahara
Mine is late Sept build . So they won't do anything for me.
Reason why I had to adjust my box and take matters into my own hands. And I'm 100% glad I did.
Be careful and push to have the box replaced. Star knows that even the new boxes are bad because they have the dealer test the new ones before installation. I had our dealer turn the set screw 1/4 at 2000mls. Definitely made a difference and made it easier to handle. But it still wandered and at 6000 ml it started the sticky steer like the box was too tight. It also would not center after left or right steer. Wandering got worst. At 8000 it was back to hard to handle to the point that we almost wrecked the jeep when it wandered off the road into our PA road side ditches. This new box is tight and drives awesome even in the wind.

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
So I just turned my box a little further .From about 1/8th to 1/4 turn .I Can't feel any binding. Everything seems good . It Feels amazing! I think pretty much all the play is gone now. When I turn the steering wheel the tires follow suit and are in sync . Steering wheel still returns to center just as snappy as before after a turn.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
How did you get service to change your steering box?
The Dealer had a previous vehicle with same issues. That was their test mule and the only thing (tried all the fixes) that made a difference was swapping boxes. I was fortunate to be after the first go round, but also credit the Dealer for providing excellent service.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
While mine improved I just drove it again and it still wanders. I guess I am going to start working the dealer to try to get a replacement gear box.....it is the only thing that makes sense.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
While mine improved I just drove it again and it still wanders. I guess I am going to start working the dealer to try to get a replacement gear box.....it is the only thing that makes sense.
Did the play goaway but it just wanders? Perhaps a tweak on the tow and it will dial that down a bit? Basically separate steeri g slop from drivability.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
No there is still play just less of it. Tow was set to 1/8 so that is good. Caster is 6.5/6.2 ......all is well except the excessive play that I believe is causing the wander. I am just afraid my dealer is not going to work with me.....I guess I will fight for a new gear box and see how it goes. How in the hell has there not been a recall yet?

Sponsored

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
So just took a quick drive around town to pick up some stuff for the storm. Not sure how this is possible but it feels as though the Jeep is worse at low speeds and better on the highway. Makes no sense, wondering what to look at now because this makes no sense to me, Jeep felt very loose around town yet definitely better on the highway. Anyone have any ideas?

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
No temperature is within 5 degrees.....man is this frustrating.......not sure what to do next other than fight for a new gear box

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
Try going back a sixteenth and find happy medium between city and highway speeds. There are so many variables at work here, software, calibrations, tolerance and possibly gear box fluid temp issues. Beyond frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Paul Hess

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Sahara
Try going back a sixteenth and find happy medium between city and highway speeds. There are so many variables at work here, software, calibrations, tolerance and possibly gear box fluid temp issues. Beyond frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:
I definitely feel for everyone that has this issue. We purchased our jeep in September and have been dealing with loose steering from day one. It's been to the dealer mutiple times. Finally I met the lead service manager and showed him the play in the steering wheel compared to the wheels moving. I had 4" from center left or right. They moved the adjustment nut and that helped. But only for a while. Finally I was fed up and here's how I got it resolved. 1. Called jeep cares and started a case. They returned my call and I explained the problem. They informed me they would pressure the dealer to fix the issue. 2. Called the dealer and set up an appointment. I then called my jeep cares rep and she called the dealer to let them know they had a case and would follow it through to completion. 3. Dropped off the jeep and told them I would not pick it up until I know they replaced the box. One day later they called and said Star told them the 1/4 turn in adjustment was a no no and they were advised to reset to factory settings and do a cpu flash. I said nope not good enough. I then emailed them the case study posted on this site and said here is the fix with no exception and the jeep is staying there until it is fixed. They emailed Star my email and within a few minutes Star sent an exact procedure for fix. I picked it up Wed and took it on a long trip last night and this morning. Around town, perfect; highway even more tight. I can let go of the steering for 10 plus seconds at 75 mph and it stays straight. Before I couldn't even look down at the radio without crossing lanes. The steering box is the fix. Jeeps cares has been daily following the procedure and has constantly called the dealer. My dealer here in Lancaster PA has a fix if anyone is close. Mine is the first one they have got pressed through but now know how to proceed. As soon as my dealer send me the case study I will post it. Hope this helps and be patient it is worth it.
Sponsored