Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Mine is the same way! When it gets below 60 degrees outside it feels like it should. When its warmer outside its horrible and wanders around like a drunk duck.
I rode with a mechanic from my dealer to show him my death wobble and mentioned this while we were driving to spots I knew the DW would happen. He said that doesnt make sense, it should be the opposite. It's not though, enjoying my JL much better in the winter than the summer from a loose and wander standpoint. Yes, Tire Pressure is the same.
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I rode with a mechanic from my dealer to show him my death wobble and mentioned this while we were driving to spots I knew the DW would happen. He said that doesnt make sense, it should be the opposite. It's not though, enjoying my JL much better in the winter than the summer from a loose and wander standpoint. Yes, Tire Pressure is the same.
Well if you have every driven a car without power steering........It's pretty hard to turn the wheel when not moving and as you start moving and increase speed it gets easier, and takes the least effort at highway speed. So a variable assist system you would likely want the most assist when sitting still and as speed increases, reduce the assist in accordance with the speed increase. This way the steering is not to twitchy at high speeds.

Let me guess? Was the mechanic a 20 something yr old person that has never driven a car that has no power steering?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
IMG_20190107_171415.jpg
I was checking my vehicle for trail damage when I noticed that it appears that my sway bar wasn't connected at the factory. Can someone confirm that both sway bar links are supposed to be connected on the Rubicon?

IMG_20190107_171437.jpg

IMG_20190107_171425.jpg
This has also been reported by another member. The driver side sway bar link slipped off the lower bushing after off-roading.

The passenger side link is captured by the axle bracket so it can’t slip off the bushing. Not the case with the driver side. It’s not captured and can slip right off. Seems Jeep should have installed a large washer to keep it attached.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Just got back my daughter's Moab (2018, 820 miles) back from the Dealer. Taken in for loose wandering steering. Replaced steering gear. Fantastic results...... 1 finger or no hands at 65mph. Didn't get a chance for extended drive, but a couple of 4-5 mile Hwy cruises at 60-65mph.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
hey @DeVoTee can you describe how bad it was before? did the steering wheel have a lot of play making it hard to make small/precise corrections? did the Jeep just jump around on it's own without turning the wheel? how did you convince the dealer to address it? mine won't even look at it

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
My experience is very subjective.... I would say out of 1-10 it was a 7. NO shimmy or wobble, just would float at high speed. You would have to overcorrect when changing lanes or just, not constant, but continually correct to stay in your lane. Always had to be on when driving above 60/65mph.

Dealer had a previous vehicle with same symptoms and went through the the gamut of typical fixes and found replacing the steering gear was the only thing that worked. So, when I showed up with the same symptoms, they went right to the gear box.

Ordering parts took over two weeks

millsra13

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just did the steering box adjustment today, it made a world of difference! Trouble shooting steps so far to stop the play in the steering- Changed out the steering stabilizer with the one from rough county (no change), changed out the lower controls arms with the longer ones (helped with wandering, but didn't address the play in the steering), Lowered the tire pressure to 34 psi (helped some).

The interesting thing is that my steering adjustment screw had no loc-tite on it. I loosened the nut just a little bit and I could easily turn the allen head with 0 resistance. Thought that was kind of weird. I first adjusted the screw 1/8 turn and took it for a test drive. Vast improvement, but there was still about an inch of play in the steering wheel. I then tightened it another 1/8 for a total of 1/4 turn and drove it again...perfect! Steering is now tight as a normal vehicle. I wish I had done this first.

Its a 2018 JLUR auto with a 1.5 teraflex spacer and 315/70r17 tires

Wendo327

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just did the steering box adjustment today, it made a world of difference! Trouble shooting steps so far to stop the play in the steering- Changed out the steering stabilizer with the one from rough county (no change), changed out the lower controls arms with the longer ones (helped with wandering, but didn't address the play in the steering), Lowered the tire pressure to 34 psi (helped some).

The interesting thing is that my steering adjustment screw had no loc-tite on it. I loosened the nut just a little bit and I could easily turn the allen head with 0 resistance. Thought that was kind of weird. I first adjusted the screw 1/8 turn and took it for a test drive. Vast improvement, but there was still about an inch of play in the steering wheel. I then tightened it another 1/8 for a total of 1/4 turn and drove it again...perfect! Steering is now tight as a normal vehicle. I wish I had done this first.

Its a 2018 JLUR auto with a 1.5 teraflex spacer and 315/70r17 tires
Does anyone know if the JK steering box was also made in China by the same supplier?

These new aluminum Chinese made steering boxes seem to have questionable QC process if any.

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
hey @DWheelerR how's that steering box adjustment working out for you? curious how much of an improvement you're noticing...
It's much better. It went from probably 2inches of play to maybe 1inch or less . I can drive with my knee now lol

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hear there may be things coming out soon from FCA regarding our steering...ie recall (pure rumors as of this point so thats all I'm going to say).

In the mean time if you want proper steering (or as good as a Jeep can be), here is what has solved mine:

Note: I can cruise down the highway at 75mph with no hands on the wheel. Mine is FINALLY where it should have been from the factory. I actually enjoy driving my JLUR now!

1. Get the TSB steering flash
2. Have dealer tighten the steering bolt (this is a slippery slope so I recommend you have the dealer do it)
3. Replace the stock steering stabilizer with a good one (Falcon EF 2.2 or Fox ATS)
4. Get aftermarket LCA's and increase your caster to 6.5 degrees (this is the holy grail...it will transform your Jeep!)

Yes, you have to do a little work to make this happen but it's worth it. While you're at it, install a GOOD lift kit as well. Good = shocks paired to springs along with (of course) adjustable LCA's and at least a front track bar so the axles are aligned (rear as well if you are OCD like me). I recommend staying away from lift kits where the shocks "bow". Shocks are meant to work best when the force is mostly vertical, not vertical and horizontal.

---

For the record, here's what I've installed and, as I said above, it drives like a dream. (I was in a 2016 stock JL Sport today and mine felt like a Cadillac compared to this one)

Dynatrac Eurosport 2" lift (Springs, Fox Shocks - Tuned, longer front sway bar links and bump stops)
Falcon EF 2.2 steering stabilizer
Rock Krawler X-Factor Front Lower Control Arms (caster set to 6.5 degrees)
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Track bar
Rock Krawler Adjustable Rear Track Bar
BFG KM3 37x12.5r17 (30 psi MAX - 15 psi off road)

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
Sooo...

As someone who hasn’t done a single thing to his Jeep to see if it improved steering where would I even start?

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sooo...

As someone who hasn’t done a single thing to his Jeep to see if it improved steering where would I even start?
You start by going to your dealership and finessing your way into getting what you want without sounding like a know-it-all. Be humble and remember the people you speak to may not own a Wrangler so you already know more than them. I was fortunate, the service tech also owned a JL and wanted to find a solution as well.

At the dealership, get the programming TSB done and have them tighten the steering bolt (do your best not to let replace the steering box....have them tighten the bolt on top per all the youtube videos).

Once thats done, don't get too excited because while it will feel better it still won't feel how it should (or at least how much you paid for it). Now, at the very least, you need to increase your caster angle by adding adjustable front lower control arms. I see some people here have purchased Mopar lift kit arms and put them on non lifted Jeeps. If you are going to go to this extent then why not buy some heavy duty ADJUSTABLE LCA's for roughly the same amount? You WANT the adjustability so you can get the caster angle to at least 6 degrees!

Hope this helps!

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
You start by going to your dealership and finessing your way into getting what you want without sounding like a know-it-all. Be humble and remember the people you speak to may not own a Wrangler so you already know more than them. I was fortunate, the service tech also owned a JL and wanted to find a solution as well.

At the dealership, get the programming TSB done and have them tighten the steering bolt (do your best not to let replace the steering box....have them tighten the bolt on top per all the youtube videos).

Once thats done, don't get too excited because while it will feel better it still won't feel how it should (or at least how much you paid for it). Now, at the very least, you need to increase your caster angle by adding adjustable front lower control arms. I see some people here have purchased Mopar lift kit arms and put them on non lifted Jeeps. If you are going to go to this extent then why not buy some heavy duty ADJUSTABLE LCA's for roughly the same amount? You WANT the adjustability so you can get the caster angle to at least 6 degrees!

Hope this helps!
That’s exactly the info I was looking for.

I asked because I mentioned a few things to the service lady on the phone and she threw a stop sign up immediately that I would need a warranty claim for them to be even thinking about looking at my Jeep.

All I had did was inquire on some sore of updates that might have released for my Jeep, but she did not take kindly to me asking that without any specific issues. I guess I’m a tech guy and I’m used to all of my stuff getting updates and fixes without me having to know the issues off hand lol

I will try to sweeten my way in. I inquired about a bad paint blemish I have that will need fixed and I was told won’t hear back for. A month which must be common but wow a month to say it should be fixed come off as odd as hell.
Sponsored