Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Vylentqt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White Rubicon (6 Spd)
Following up on a previous post. I did end up installing a Falcon EF 2.2 stabilizer over the weekend. It may not have solved my loose steering, but it definitely made a big difference in the drive-ability/wandering. I feel I'm not correcting as much during my 30min commute. +1 to @TeraFlex Suspensions :)

My 2cents, the loose play in the steering wheel has to be the steering gear box (extremely temped to try to adjust this myself.....), unless you have some very loose bolts in the front steering/suspension or faulty welds where structural items connected to the frame are flexing.
Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Following up on a previous post. I did end up installing a Falcon EF 2.2 stabilizer over the weekend. It may not have solved my loose steering, but it definitely made a big difference in the drive-ability/wandering. I feel I'm not correcting as much during my 30min commute. +1 to @TeraFlex Suspensions :)

My 2cents, the loose play in the steering wheel has to be the steering gear box (extremely temped to try to adjust this myself.....), unless you have some very loose bolts in the front steering/suspension or faulty welds where structural items connected to the frame are flexing.
I am on the fence also . I also installed the same stabilizer and that helped the drive a lot and stopped the slight shimmy I had .

I might just go out there soon and try it.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
I would like to hear more about this.............

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto..........considering cracking into the adjustment setting if needed in spring to attempt adjustment myself.

Super chips 3571-jl
info from the web.
Feature: Electronic Steering Pump Remove Only
Customer Options: Enable / Disable
What it does......
Enable:
Adds the Electronic Steering Pump Module to vehicle configuration.
Disable:
Removes the Electronic Steering Pump Module from vehicle configuration.

At least this will tell you if the slop is due to the module that controls the amount of assist, or if its the back lash setting in the gear box. I also installed the Falcon 2.2 and it was an improvement. A track bar with less flex and better fitting shouldered bolts will also be added.

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
OK .. im not convinced about the Super chips thing. I cant tell if this person just assumed it worked but it really didn't do anything and caused a placebo effect on him or what.
I pulled the fuse F34 (the module) and that completely killed the power steering totally.
F106 is another fuse to try and test.. but it just started pouring rain.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
I just picked up my JL from the dealer and I'm calling it fixed. Only need two finger on the wheel all the way up to 80 mph. Better than my old 2010 JKU and better than my Dads 2016 JKUR HardRock.

This is what was done:

Software update
Steering Gear 68250506AD
Steering Damper 68251580AD

If you have this done dont forget to mention to your service department that the power steering fluid is special to the electronic assist system in the JL and they may need to order some. p/n 68088485AB

Alignment is in spec. About 4.5 degrees of caster. I will adjust when lifted to about 6.0 degrees of caster.

Tire pressure is at 35psi.

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
Installed some RoughCountry Lower Control arms. I adjusted them 1/4 inch longer than the factory arms. I must add also that they are quite a bit beefier than the factory ones. I improved my caster angle and that fixed my wandering issue. I can now take my hands completely off the steering wheel and she drives in a straight line. I can also “knee steer” again, which I could never do before due to the constant need for adjustment.

Notation: my jeep is a 2018 JLU sport S with a 2.5 inch rough country budget boost lift and 33x 12.5x 17s. Prior to the lift, it drove sloppy, until I got the Flash for the cruise control at the dealer. Then it drove better. Once I lifted it, it went back to being flighty on the road. The LCAs corrected this and it’s back to regular steering. I never tightened my steering box screw, or replaced any other parts. It still has the factory steering stabilizer it came with.

5C820918-4A47-4DDF-933F-FF831BD8B23E.jpeg

55B28AFF-04D3-4730-B787-1B0EB149A41F.jpeg

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
I just picked up my JL from the dealer and I'm calling it fixed. Only need two finger on the wheel all the way up to 80 mph. Better than my old 2010 JKU and better than my Dads 2016 JKUR HardRock.

This is what was done:

Software update
Steering Gear 68250506AD
Steering Damper 68251580AD

If you have this done dont forget to mention to your service department that the power steering fluid is special to the electronic assist system in the JL and they may need to order some. p/n 68088485AB

Alignment is in spec. About 4.5 degrees of caster. I will adjust when lifted to about 6.0 degrees of caster.

Tire pressure is at 35psi.

Im very happy with the service the second dealer I found gave me even though they are 35minutes away. Steve Stander handled the issue and had what I would consider timely replies even though he is at corporate level.
If i were to have this done I would have to pay for it myself. The dealers I've been to would not do this because none of it applies to my VIN number.

Sponsored

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Well a quick update on my progress so far. I found a very good suspension/alignment guy in the area who has experience with Jeeps. We put the Jeep on the rack and found that I had overdone the adjustable LCA's and my caster was too high. He set the caster to 6.5 driver/6.2 passenger. This combined with the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer and the Yeti trackbar have given me the best handling that I have had yet. Absolutely 0 bump steer or wobble. I even turned the stabilizer down to the medium setting and hit the ramp where I had previously experienced mini death wobble between 40-55 MPH and it was absolutely rock solid. All of that said the mechanic who has not worked on a JL but has tons of experience with Wrangler's in general was shocked at how bad the steering/handling was. Once the caster was set he drove it again and his take was that all we need to do is "tighten the steering box a bit and this thing will be perfect." At that point I explained to him that this steering system is different as it is controlled by the PCM. He was a bit shocked that FCA would build a solid axel vehicle where you "cannot adjust the steering box." I told him that there were many forum goers who were taking this in their own hands and he is willing to make the adjustment with me. I chose not to as I wanted to drive it a bit and do some more research before I mess with the steering box. At this point I see no other alternative as there is really nothing else to do without spending another grand. Playing around with it today the handling is much better but it still floats and wanders. Checking the steering response I can turn the steering wheel 2 plus inches before the tires actually move. I am more convinced than ever that this is the issue with the handling. As you hit bumps or potholes in the road the tires naturally change direction slightly, as you adjust the wheel there is no response until you get through the dreaded "dead spot," this simply allows the vehicle to drift before you are able to catch it and causing a large correction to right the direction. I believe that the bump steer, death wobble or in my case mini wobble are caused by the geometry issues (too little caster), bad parts (steering stabilizer), and poorly designed parts (trackbar). I have that issue solved as the Jeep feels great over bumps and there is 0 vibration through the steering wheel. Problem is the wandering issue, at least in my case appears to be caused by interaction of the steering box and the PCM settings of the steering assist. I checked in with my dealer again and they are at a total loss. I guess I will mull this over and then consider whether I want to fight for a new steering box or adjust the one that I have. The saga continues...….

Chewi

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
If i were to have this done I would have to pay for it myself. The dealers I've been to would not do this because none of it applies to my VIN number.
None of this "applied" to my vin either. If there is a defective part it will be replaced. Find a good dealer. Then contact @JeepCares and start a case. Then go to the dealer and explain in detail what is going on. Take a video of the sloppy steering like I did and send it to them. Once the tech saw the video after the first visit and software update they all agreed the steering gear needed to be replaced. I never asked for the steering stabilizer. They just replaced it. Originally told me a couple weeks to get the part but corporate had it to the dealer over night.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
None of this "applied" to my vin either. If there is a defective part it will be replaced. Find a good dealer. Then contact @JeepCares and start a case. Then go to the dealer and explain in detail what is going on. Take a video of the sloppy steering like I did and send it to them. Once the tech saw the video after the first visit and software update they all agreed the steering gear needed to be replaced. I never asked for the steering stabilizer. They just replaced it. Originally told me a couple weeks to get the part but corporate had it to the dealer over night.
Can you share your dealer? They sound like a good one.
Sponsored