Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Update on my dealer visit. Dealer called yesterday and informed me the steering gear was in the Jeep but they didn't have the special power steering fluid in stock and had to order. They also mentioned that they needed to replace some hardware on the steering shaft and they were going to replace the steering stabilizer as well. The mentioned they wouldn't have parts until Wednesday to finish it.

If this visit doesn't fix all these issues I need to find a way out of my lease.
Can you find out more about "replace some hardware on the steering shaft"? Sounds like it might take some of the play out of the steering wheel.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My Jeep is at the dealer now and with a case open, with no real help or oversight from FCA yet. The dealer checked the steering box and the alignment and it was per factory spec.

They drove it and compared it to one they had on the lot and called me to come and pick it up because it drives “normal.” I don’t know how they book hours against this case, but it’s pretty clear they don’t want to deal with it.

This is frustrating... and It’s saturday so my case Manager isn’t in for me to re- escalate to.
1. Drive the same test JL that they did. Dealers are known to lie.

2. Did the dealership check the torque on the ball joint nuts and other steering related components per the FCA Star case #S1819000003? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243 You can verify by checking the cotter pins on the 4 ball joint nuts on the front. If the cotter pins are factory machine perfect, they didn't check. If the cotter pins looked mangled like a human installed and bent them with a pair of pliers (as it should be), then they did check.

Related References:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-127#post-405689

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-127#post-405851

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-127#post-405920

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Can you find out more about "replace some hardware on the steering shaft"? Sounds like it might take some of the play out of the steering wheel.
I will ask for more details(p/n) but it will not add to or remove any type of play. If the tech advisor knew what he was talking about it when explaining it to me it sounds like the bolt and clamp at the end of the shaft that clamps to the splines coming out of the steering gear.

What I want to know is how in the hell can just a software update take away my overly tight steering and transform it to overly loose steering? No one has addressed this yet. Do they still not have the software calibration correct?

Side note: I lucked out with this dealership and have a very competent Service Manager and technician working on it. unfortunately I have to drive 35 minutes away to this one where the other dealer is only 2 miles away from me.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
1. Drive the same test JL that they did. Dealers are known to lie.

2. Did the dealership check the torque on the ball joint nuts and other steering related components per the FCA Star case #S1819000003? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243 You can verify by checking the cotter pins on the 4 ball joint nuts on the front. If the cotter pins are factory machine perfect, they didn't check. If the cotter pins looked mangled like a human installed and bent them with a pair of pliers (as it should be), then they did check.

Better mechanics will not re-install the old cotter pins, and just install new ones. So just looking may not be enough evidence to confirm.

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Jeremy, nope- they didn’t do any of that. I expected Jeep Cares to actually provide some oversight. I don’t know if I reached a soft spot in their availability, but this entire trip was another huge waste of my time.

The dealer drove it twice and put on 6 miles total and offered me to drive the one they compared it to. Literally- a bare minimum effort.

The next time it goes in with be the 4th time I’ve been at the dealer for this in the first 30 days of ownership. It’s a real eye-poke to drive their loaner 2018 JK that actually drives straight.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Better mechanics will not re-install the old cotter pins, and just install new ones. So just looking may not be enough evidence to confirm.
True, but new cotterpins installed by a mechanic with a pair of pliers (human) won’t look perfectly bent like the factory installed (machine) cotterpins.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeremy, nope- they didn’t do any of that. I expected Jeep Cares to actually provide some oversight. I don’t know if I reached a soft spot in their availability, but this entire trip was another huge waste of my time.

The dealer drove it twice and put on 6 miles total and offered me to drive the one they compared it to. Literally- a bare minimum effort.

The next time it goes in with be the 4th time I’ve been at the dealer for this in the first 30 days of ownership. It’s a real eye-poke to drive their loaner 2018 JK that actually drives straight.
Did you test drive the other JL they offered?

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Good morning everyone, I have just picked a 2019 Sahara, built date November 2018, and the steering play is there.
It is as bad as the video that was posted on Facebook on one of the posts.
Love the car, but the play on the steering needs to be addressed!
Filing formal complaint and sending VIN to JeepCare.
Happy New Year to Everyone!

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
If that does not fix the loose steering then the only thing left is
I know you have done a lot, not sure if you have added another 1/8 to the toe in, or checked the toe. Might be another thing to check. I read one guy had his checked, it was "in spec", he had them add another 1/8 and it helped him.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
My Rubicon 3018 JL feels more like a dead spot too dead center. My 2017 Sahara JK didn’t have this. Granted this is my first Rubicon so it could be the difference in the Sahara and the Rubicon. I have taken it in a couple of times for some minor issues and asked they check this while it is there. Keeps coming back that there is no issue to address with the steering.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I know you have done a lot, not sure if you have added another 1/8 to the toe in, or checked the toe. Might be another thing to check. I read one guy had his checked, it was "in spec", he had them add another 1/8 and it helped him.
Was told it was "in spec" at that point I was early on in the process and did not really understand all of this, plan to check toe on Thursday when I get it on the rack. I understand this much better now so hopefully I can look at the tow and set it where I want it. Will report back with my results. Thanks.

Chewi

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
I got my 2019...basically identical to my 18 this past Thursday. Too early to say, but the steering does feel as it should. If it starts a dead play like the 18, then I’ll start replacing the drag link, etc. someone on the aftermarket either has a replacement or will have one.

FCA swapped mine out for the difference in MSRP. Jeep Cares had said a fix should occur soon, and the TA acknowledged an issue. Probably had it there 4 times, and I missed out on a couple of trips with it either in the shop or being part of the track bar bracket issue. (I was not part of the final group) I addressed replacement thru the dealer and Jeep Cares. Both moved forward, but the dealer came thru first after running it up the ladder from his end. I had no complaints with the dealer...they didn’t build it.

My position was all vehicles must have two items functioning well for safety. Must be able to stop them and must be able to turn them. Mine flunked the last one. Could I drive it. Sure. Would I let my daughter drive it. Certainly not.

BTW, both have the issue with the defrost for the front windshield but, for me, I don’t need that often for my use. The service rep checked several JL’s on the lot and all performed exactly as mine. While they steered clear of saying it was an issue, they stuck with it was performing as designed.

For me, for years I’ve had a Jeep for my fun vehicle. I’m willing to fix theses with aftermarket solutions when available and will tolerate the faults since no one else builds a similar vehicle.

Best wishes for all who are in a similar position with the steering.
Sponsored