Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
For what it's worth I'm going all in - Steer Smarts track-bar, tie-rod, and drag-ling. Tereflex adjustable lower control arms, and rusty's brace. One item, is i have the falcon 2.1 vs 2.2 - other than ability to adjust damping, is there a reason I should upgrade to the 2.1?
I think the advantage of the 2.2 is that it has a really firm road setting and a really soft off road setting. Honestly I like the medium setting that is the same as the 2.1, but right now on road the firmer setting does help the steering a bit. If you get your steering squared away you should be fine with your current setup.
Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Last week I installed adjustable lower control arms (along with adjustable front and rear track bar). Setting the caster angle to a bit more than 6 degrees (along with setting my Falcon EF 2.2 to Medium) has, after 5000 miles, FINALLY made me happy that I purchased this Jeep. I can drive down the highway at 80mph and not touch the steering wheel. It drives straight as an arrow (and this is with 37" tires & 2" lift)

For all of you complaining about steering issues, THIS IS THE SOLUTION -> Set caster to 6 degrees and replace the worthless OEM stabilizer (might want to throw on a front adjustable track bar if you have a 2" + lift to get the axles aligned again). I guarantee you will feel like you've just been given a new vehicle!

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Last week I installed adjustable lower control arms (along with adjustable front and rear track bar). Setting the caster angle to a bit more than 6 degrees (along with setting my Falcon EF 2.2 to Medium) has, after 5000 miles, FINALLY made me happy that I purchased this Jeep. I can drive down the highway at 80mph and not touch the steering wheel. It drives straight as an arrow (and this is with 37" tires & 2" lift)

For all of you complaining about steering issues, THIS IS THE SOLUTION -> Set caster to 6 degrees and replace the worthless OEM stabilizer (might want to throw on a front adjustable track bar if you have a 2" + lift to get the axles aligned again). I guarantee you will feel like you've just been given a new vehicle!
This is exactly where I am in the process! My thought is to go a bit beyond 6 degrees of caster as well. Tried to use an angle finder but got frustrated hence my appointment next week to use a rack. Since my symptoms show I need more caster that is the plan, still my Jeep sucked stock as do some others. Why should a stock Jeep need more caster to drive straight? That is the question.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Why should a stock Jeep need more caster to drive straight? That is the question.
Thats the $100,000 question! I can't believe the caster specs are so low. If I remember correctly they say 3.8 - 5 degree is in spec, but I can tell you that anything less than 6 is downright scary!

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Next question is how high can we go, since my Jeep was bad stock and I lifted it a couple inches can I go 6.5, 6.8, 7.0. My worry is that I already added a bit over 1/2 inch to the LCA's and is still not great. I use 4wd all winter so I need to be cognizant of the pinion angle........what a headache.:facepalm:

Sponsored

Mowery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
1st post, newish reader, and new owner of a JL Rubicon. Started reading this forum about 6 months ago. Bought my JL in November. Built September.

For the whole time Iā€™ve owned my Jeep I thought this ā€˜looseā€™ stearing was a ā€œJeepā€ thing. Up to 1600miles now...

Made an account finally just to post this. Tire PSI was the first thing I checked the moment I parked my JL in the garage the next morning (out of habit, I love working on cars and am fortunate to know my way around vehicles).

After reading 161 pages of information (it took awhile), I am ready to make an appointment @ my dealership. Iā€™ve checked all the toque settings of all the stearing components (ball joints, track bar, etc). I do have an -AC damper (which sounds like they have upgraded to an -AD. DW seems to not exist on my rig (Iā€™ve purposely have tried). Iā€™m stuck with loose stearing. Exactly like the video above. And what pushed me over the edge was a pretty good cross wind yesterday (30mph gusts or so), it damn near scared the st*t out of me on the highway (about 65mph) basically was pushed into the next lane.

Iā€™ve owned many cars (SUVs) and by far This JL has had the worst stearing out of all of them. My knee jerk reaction yesterday was to by a Falcon SS as some have mentioned that could help. But going to take it to the dealer first prior to install and see what happens. Definety going to bring up this thread.
Adjustable control arms helped my issue the most and the computer flash helped a tiny bit. Steering stabilizer didnā€™t do much. Running 6.4 degrees of caster (almost a degree above max range)

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Did you have loose steering wheel / excessive play in the steering wheel (turn the steering wheel 1 to 3 inches before the tires responded), wandering, both, or something else?

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Did you have loose steering wheel / excessive play in the steering wheel (turn the steering wheel 1 to 3 inches before the tires responded), wandering, both, or something else?
Hey, where is FCA? Are they even looking at this anymore? The silence is deafening. I've got a hunch this has become a lawyer problem. My favorite. Help us Jeep Cares or somebody as our steering still remains dangerous.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing I noticed changing the loose, wandering feel is when the temp dropped.
power steering fluid viscosity increase from the cold helped.

Mowery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Wandering all over the place, worse than my 79 CJ-5 with worn out steering box.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey, where is FCA? Are they even looking at this anymore? The silence is deafening. I've got a hunch this has become a lawyer problem. My favorite. Help us Jeep Cares or somebody as our steering still remains dangerous.
This is FCA's last communication on the defective Jeep Wrangler Steering topic that I'm aware of: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

https://www.lemberglaw.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-problems-complaints-lemon/

2018 Jeep Wrangler: 442 NHTSA complaints: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release

2017 Jeep Wrangler: 51 NHTSA complaints: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD

2016 Jeep Wrangler: 94 NHTSA complaints: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/JEEP/WRANGLER/2DR/4WD

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wandering all over the place, worse than my 79 CJ-5 with worn out steering box.
Was there a dead spot in the steering wheel where you could turn the steering wheel 1 to 3 inches before the tires turned?

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
My Jeep is at the dealer now and with a case open, with no real help or oversight from FCA yet. The dealer checked the steering box and the alignment and it was per factory spec.

They drove it and compared it to one they had on the lot and called me to come and pick it up because it drives ā€œnormal.ā€ I donā€™t know how they book hours against this case, but itā€™s pretty clear they donā€™t want to deal with it.

This is frustrating... and Itā€™s saturday so my case Manager isnā€™t in for me to re- escalate to.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Update on my dealer visit. Dealer called yesterday and informed me the steering gear was in the Jeep but they didn't have the special power steering fluid in stock and had to order. They also mentioned that they needed to replace some hardware on the steering shaft and they were going to replace the steering stabilizer as well. The mentioned they wouldn't have parts until Wednesday to finish it.

If this visit doesn't fix all these issues I need to find a way out of my lease.
Sponsored