Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

wyatt209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Get the torque on the ball joints, control arms, drift bar, etc. checked. Something is probably loose. Very loose.
Mine did the same thing, the play is in the steering box. But dealers around here, (MN) especially the service writers don't know anything about the JLs. I had to show the service writer and the mechanic that yes you can use the molar 2 inch lift with stock rims and I had to show them how to do the speedo calibration download for the bigger tires. Anyway my new JK doesn't do that.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Another JL steering issue is starting to appear after getting some miles on it - wobble / shuttering. The thread is at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577 See video example below (10 second video). The fix so far has been either loose bolts/nuts or the steering damper, which is on back order. It is happening on both stock / non-lifted and lifted JLs.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Get the torque on the ball joints, control arms, drift bar, etc. checked. Something is probably loose. Very loose.
That's nothing like my steering. Must be a different issue that should probably get checked right away.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's nothing like my steering. Must be a different issue that should probably get checked right away.
What is your steering doing?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Has anyone put a JL on a lift (wheels off the ground) and tried to move the front wheels left and right? I bet the wheels can be moved left and right a bit without the steering wheel moving. That would show how "disconnected" the whole steering system is.
Yep, I did. Still had the dead zone. I lifted the front end up and turned the wheel a 1/2 inch...the tires did not move from what I could tell.

However, when I drive mine and turn the wheel about 1/2 inch, the jeep does respond.

I will say it had gotten better over the 10,000 miles I have driven it. I believe it's a combination of wear on the tires, steering system getting broke in, a my ability to get used to the steering.

To me, right now, my Jeep drives fine, but I do notice it wanders like my JK did and that's due to the size of the tires and engineering of the steering system.

It's not a rack and pinion setup so will never drive like an SUV or car.

Sponsored

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I think you misunderstood. I meant got to the wheels and try to move them. See if the wheels move showing a loose front end.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yep, I did. Still had the dead zone. I lifted the front end up and turned the wheel a 1/2 inch...the tires did not move from what I could tell.

However, when I drive mine and turn the wheel about 1/2 inch, the jeep does respond.

I will say it had gotten better over the 10,000 miles I have driven it. I believe it's a combination of wear on the tires, steering system getting broke in, a my ability to get used to the steering.

To me, right now, my Jeep drives fine, but I do notice it wanders like my JK did and that's due to the size of the tires and engineering of the steering system.

It's not a rack and pinion setup so will never drive like an SUV or car.
I think he meant to move the tires with your hands and see if the steering wheel moves instantly or not.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I think he meant to move the tires with your hands and see if the steering wheel moves instantly or not.
Oh, yeah. Did that too. I could move the wheels left and right, but couldn't see the steering wheel as my neck isn't that long. But it didn't feel as if anything was loose. Everything seemed firmly connected, nothing was loose.

The whole system is connected properly, there just needs to be some additional calibrations done in the steering box and steering pump programming. Anytime you introduce electric assist and programming into a steering system, there will be issues. Correcting the caster to 5+ degrees will take care of the wandering as most have reported.

I bet FCA is working on this and will issue out a TSB and/or adjust the 2019's to correct the problem. They will handle all the 2018's as owners bring up the issue to the dealers.

tomservo291

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2019 C7 Stingray
I just bought a 2018 JLU Sahara last week and also have a dead zone in my steering causing some lane wandering, requiring constant minor steering corrections. The build date on mine is 6/18 and the steering box is the AC model.

It doesn't sound like mine is as bad as some have reported, but definitely bad enough it can feel unsafe in a lot of situations.

I had watched the JeepInformant YouTube videos on the subject where he diagnosed and tried various fixes (using the 2" lift components to increase castor, and finally adjusting the steering box set screw).

I just watched these videos I think two nights ago, and suddenly they've been removed from YouTube:

If you search the JeepInformant list of YouTube videos, you can find no reference to any steering issues whatsoever.

I'm new to owning a Jeep, but, from watching his videos he does seem to have some loose affiliation with Jeep/Dealers, did something pressure him into taking down his videos on the subject all of sudden?

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I just watched these videos I think two nights ago, and suddenly they've been removed from YouTube:

If you search the JeepInformant list of YouTube videos, you can find no reference to any steering issues whatsoever.

I'm new to owning a Jeep, but, from watching his videos he does seem to have some loose affiliation with Jeep/Dealers, did something pressure him into taking down his videos on the subject all of sudden?
Wow, that is certainly interesting,

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I just bought a 2018 JLU Sahara last week and also have a dead zone in my steering causing some lane wandering, requiring constant minor steering corrections. The build date on mine is 6/18 and the steering box is the AC model.

It doesn't sound like mine is as bad as some have reported, but definitely bad enough it can feel unsafe in a lot of situations.

I had watched the JeepInformant YouTube videos on the subject where he diagnosed and tried various fixes (using the 2" lift components to increase castor, and finally adjusting the steering box set screw).

Good catch, he was probably pressured to remove them by Jeep or face hard legal punishment. This is either:

A. Cover-up job by Jeep
B. Jeep asked to take down videos until a fix is officially released.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Good catch, he was probably pressured to remove them by Jeep or face hard legal punishment. This is either:

A. Cover-up job by Jeep
B. Jeep asked to take down videos until a fix is officially released.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dealers probably got tired of owners referencing the videos.

His newest video references a coolant leak on the 2.0L 48V battery that was discovered during a pre-delivery inspection.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Wow!!! I just noticed this as well. I have not heard anything from the Engineers from FCA even though I was told within a week I would get a call. I think they are about to release some information about the steering issue. I am just waiting now before posting an updated video myself.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wow!!! I just noticed this as well. I have not heard anything from the Engineers from FCA even though I was told within a week I would get a call. I think they are about to release some information about the steering issue. I am just waiting now before posting an updated video myself.
Did you ever change to the new -AD steering box? I think you mentioned you had it ordered but waiting on having it installed, but I'm not sure.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was at the Jeep dealer service desk for another issue today. While waiting, I noticed a case file sitting on the Service Tech's desk that had a star case number written on it.
Description was "Excessive Play in Steering"
Also had a note on the Track bar weld recall noting the frame build date code (which was 195, outside the range of the recall I believe).
So they're hearing about it.
I'm going to bring mine in to them week after my next when my schedule quiets down a bit and will report back.
Sponsored