Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Confused... what do you mean you ordered both if you are trading a 2018 JL for a 2019 JL? And is the 2018 JL trade in value in kbb.com and/or edmonds yet? If yes, what does it say?
I already own a 4 month old JL. Problems with steering and now weld recall (I'm in the recall but not sure if mine is impacted. welds look good, but I'm not an expert) Either way, this jeep has issues and I've ordered a 2019 exactly like this one...hoping it's built as it should be. maybe it will be right, maybe not. But I've got 4 months on a vehicle that is basically sitting in the garage. FCA has had multiple opportunities to get it right, but have not. Here's the bottom line: Two things have to happen to have a safe vehicle. You've got to be able to steer it and you've got to be able to stop it. If either of those do not work as intended, then you don't have a safe vehicle. Your AC, radio, heater....whatever might not work, but those have to.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Two things have to happen to have a safe vehicle. You've got to be able to steer it and you've got to be able to stop it. If either of those do not work as intended, then you don't have a safe vehicle.
Exactly correct . Steering and brakes are fundamental . I would also add ability to turn off an engine .

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm in the process of doing the same...trading my 2018 JL for a 2019 JL. I ordered both. I asked about the trade in (I have less that 2500 miles) and the offer they came back with was $34,000. I couldn't believe it. My sticker was just under $52,000. From what I paid, that's a drop of over 28%.
Is the 2018 JL trade in value in kbb.com and/or edmonds yet? If yes, what does it say for your specific options?

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Is the 2018 JL trade in value in kbb.com and/or edmonds yet? If yes, what does it say for your specific options?
KBB doesn't show an appraisal for the JL yet. Edmonds shows $40,076 and private party of $42,824, with neither showing a value for matching fenders or match hardtop. Seems like all other options are listed. The trade was thru the dealer that I ordered and purchased my 2018JL. The ONLY difference in the orders is the 2019 has the Adaptive Cruise Control.

I complained when I got the price from the sales manager and had not checked Edmonds at that time. I told him I would have expected @ $40,000...and that's over $7,000 less that I paid on June 12 and only 2500 miles. He said the used manager was using some comps that showed up on their system. the sales manager was surprised and seemed embarrassed to tell me. Heck, they offered $24,000 for my 2012 Sahara with 35,000 miles and excellent condition last January. (It had never been off the road)

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I already own a 4 month old JL. Problems with steering and now weld recall (I'm in the recall but not sure if mine is impacted. welds look good, but I'm not an expert) Either way, this jeep has issues and I've ordered a 2019 exactly like this one...hoping it's built as it should be. maybe it will be right, maybe not. But I've got 4 months on a vehicle that is basically sitting in the garage. FCA has had multiple opportunities to get it right, but have not. Here's the bottom line: Two things have to happen to have a safe vehicle. You've got to be able to steer it and you've got to be able to stop it. If either of those do not work as intended, then you don't have a safe vehicle. Your AC, radio, heater....whatever might not work, but those have to.
You should see what carmax will give you for it.

Last edited:

x8086

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Was your offer from FCA or a dealer ? Whoever it was , it appears they are aggressively depreciating the JL .
Sick isn't it? I was offered $0, said they didn't want it, then things got a little heated and they upped the offer to $20k. Things were loud by then and I settled on $41. This was at the purchasing dealer. Said they couldn't sell it with a red carfax. Duh? I countered with but you want me to drive it? I bought it in good faith this way. Service was no help until I offered to pay for a diagnostic since it was a "Jeep thing". With an over allowance for the trade the deal was way into the negative for them. By all rights the dealer didn't have to step in at all but they did.

Why I came back here to even read this thread means I still feel bent over this experience. I'm truly sorry for those that are going to take a loss. My advice is to those that are looking to get out of it, visit the purchasing dealer and make a problem over it. Firm and respectful but loud. Visit when they are busy on the weekend to slow the sales process to a crawl. You will get their attention.Talk in the showroom with a sales manager. Be in earshot of customers. Be willing to call the dealer/owner. I was and had the number to call on the spot. I was not leaving until an arrangement could be made to have the seller and buyer meet in favor for the seller. It would take me months to make up loss and them in a day. Ultimately, Jeep needs to get this sh1t stain handled because the Jeep community is rather small and have big mouths. I know I do. I've personally told over 2,000 people about the steering and weld issues. Might be more. Yes, it's a job thing being in contact with so many people in a short amount of time.

Since they stepped up in the end I'd step up next time and buy another Jeep from them.

Not bitter.

G/L

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sick isn't it? I was offered $0, said they didn't want it, then things got a little heated and they upped the offer to $20k. Things were loud by then and I settled on $41.
Did you pay cash originally? What was your final price when you purchased it? What was your total loss $?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Firm and respectful but loud. Ultimately, Jeep needs to get this sh1t stain handled because the Jeep community is rather small and have big mouths. I know I do.
Growl !

Dusty Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2Raptor
Rubicon owner here. I'll keep it brief. Steering issues. Dealer made a laundry list of adjustments, including ball joints, at just 400 miles. Improved drastically, for 200 miles. Dead spot is back w/ a vengeance. I have had two near unintended off road excursions while going around curves at posted speed limits, both times w/ my kids in the car. Ridiculous. Returning to service as the vehicle is unsafe to operate.

Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Got a call earlier about my replacement JLUR. The welds looks passable when I inspected it. The steering, on the other hand, and when I test drove it, was more of the same wandering and loose, all over the road, see-sawing that is like my current JLUR that is being turned in.

My FCA rep called and said the dealership service tech drove it and said the steering was "fine" and drove like it should. :( Now, the service manager is going to drive it and provide his feedback.

I'm quite certain he will also say there is no issue. So, my question to this group is -- how do we, as owner's of these expensive vehicles, get anyone at a dealership to actually acknowledge that there is an issue with the steering? I know there are some that have posted that their dealership service advisor or someone in that dept. drove their Jeep and agreed there was an issue with the steering. I just don't get why many other dealerships are saying there is nothing wrong. It's baffling to me and I'm sure others here too.

As Brandon (JeepInformant) stated in his last video about the steering box issues, he believes Jeep is working on and will issue a real fix for the steering problems. I just don't feel great about accepting a vehicle based in a pipe dream of a possible fix.

Dusty Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2Raptor
Fortunately, my dealer acknowledged there was an issue and went to work. I have no idea what will occur on the second go round. All that being said, no way would I accept one that I knew had this issue, regardless of dealer. I've considered a 2019 and I really really would like the forthcoming truck, but seems to be a roll of the dice as to what you get.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Why are you back to possibly accepting it ? I thought you decided to walk .
I never decided to walk. Just wanted the few minor issues and the steering addressed and fixed before accepting. If I get contacted and told by the FCA rep that the service manager said it was OK and "drove fine" then I'll make that decision.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I never decided to walk. Just wanted the few minor issues and the steering addressed and fixed before accepting. If I get contacted and told by the FCA rep that the service manager said it was OK and "drove fine" then I'll make that decision.
My error and my misunderstanding . You're all good .

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Got a call earlier about my replacement JLUR. The welds looks passable when I inspected it. The steering, on the other hand, and when I test drove it, was more of the same wandering and loose, all over the road, see-sawing that is like my current JLUR that is being turned in.

My FCA rep called and said the dealership service tech drove it and said the steering was "fine" and drove like it should. :( Now, the service manager is going to drive it and provide his feedback.

I just don't get why many other dealerships are saying there is nothing wrong. It's baffling to me and I'm sure others here too.
Apparently there is a Sahara review in the October Car and Driver and they didn’t like the steering. Instead of reporting there is a problem, they blamed it on the tires? Trying to keep FCA advertising revenue maybe?

Copied this from another post. I haven’t read the review.

"The new-gen model (JL in Jeep-speak) is by far the best-handling and most refined Wrangler ever built, and while the Sahara's cushiony sidewalls help soften the ride, they also contribute to the wooliness in the Jeep's steering. Keeping a Wrangler in its lane at highway speeds is harder than solving differential equations, and the recirculating-ball steering does the thing no directional favors.... A widely accepted and helpful notion is to think of these off-road vehicles as family pets. Doing so will put you in a forgiving mood when yours inevitably and unpredictably feints toward a ditch as though the optional LED headlights have spotted a squirrel on the side of the road and the steering requires a corrective tug on the leash. Hey, these things are made to wander.”

Also, FYI, 70% of the complaints on NHTSA website are steering related.

Toledo, we have a problem.
Sponsored