Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
This is at least the 4th time I've seen the same fixes now. :) Which adjustable control arms did you use?
I installed EVO Manufacturing Upper & Lower control arms, Do not use their starting points on the length as they will put you back to a stock JL. I was replacing the Arms that came with the Morpar lift kit to start with that are an 1/8" long then the stock JL factory arms.
Sponsored

6spd JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 6spd, F80 M3 DCT
8/18 Build date, jeep needs constant corrections to drive straight.

Aired down tires, slightly better. Will see if local dealer will apply reflash.

This thing is a handful on the highway. Good thing its a lease!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
20181008_194552.jpg

After months of loose steering I brought in my Jeep to the dealer. They fixed it with the module fix seen in attached image. Steering now feels normal.
Is this just the tsb software update or did they actually replace a part?

Mickgolf00

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Yep! Every.......One.....It's like following a train wreck. Right!?

Update on mine.
I finally got fed up with the dealership and picked mine up. They had it for 5 weeks. I drove it a couple of weeks ago after all the adjustments and "inspections" (under a Star ticket that was closed without my knowledge). The steering was worse than when I dropped it off. After returning immediately and acknowledgement from the dealership that it was worse, they opened a second Star ticket but never actually did any work under the ticket for the next two weeks and up until I picked it up yesterday. The last update was from the Regional Tech (Victoria) that indicated they were awaiting a software release from the engineers/FCA. No timeline was given. The customer care rep acknowledged it could be a week or it could be a year (or more). I have an appointment at the dealership where i purchased the vehicle on Monday but it will be like starting over. I'm going to ask for a test drive with the manager or technician before handing over the keys. If they refuse, I will turn around, walk out and begin the LL paperwork.
Side note. I inspected the "adjustment" that was supposedly made on the steering gear box and noticed the green factory marking had moved on the jam nut but the marking was still mostly centered on the adjustment screw. At least the jam nut was moved. :)
I was so excited to pick this thing up when I purchased the vehicle but now I couldn't be any more dissatisfied with FCA/Jeep's attention to this matter which has completely changed my mind on the brand.
I'll update when I get the 3rd dealerships feedback (if any).
Final Update: ITS FIXED!!
I gave it one last shot. Drove the two hours to the dealership where I purchased. They fixed it in less than 24 hours (Ed Voyles - Marietta GA). They ended up replacing the steering gear/control box. They used the one that ended in “AD”. My steering is as smooth and responsive as my wife’s Acura Sedan. End Nightmare....No thanks to FCA, Star process, or @JeepCares. Good troubleshooting and listening seemed to save the day. Can’t say that this will help everyone because of the mixed feedback I’ve seen in this thread. Good luck!

PunknRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the wandering/constant needed adjustment issue as well. I noticed the issue driving home from the dealership (was worried about being pulled over tbh) and found this thread shortly after. I have been following this thread for weeks now hoping to see a definitive answer. I can't make sense of how the same "fix" does not work for every affected Wrangler.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
New video from jeep informant!
This guy is amazing ! He knows his stuff , and is the only person anyone can go to .

An innocent purchaser buys a $50K vehicle , and the only person he can go to is @Jeepinformant on Youtube .

He says be very nice to the dealer service manager , and don't get angry , because FCA is listening and will come up with a solution . Very calming . Time will tell .

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the wandering/constant needed adjustment issue as well. I noticed the issue driving home from the dealership (was worried about being pulled over tbh) and found this thread shortly after. I have been following this thread for weeks now hoping to see a definitive answer. I can't make sense of how the same "fix" does not work for every affected Wrangler.
The same fix doesn't work for every JL because there are so many variables in the geometry of the steering system. If someone has a sore or bad back, the fix for some is a hot bath, for others it is physical therapy, medication, or worse case, they need surgery. Most try the simpler solutions first before they need to go drastic. So each JL might have a different fix or set of fixes to correct it. First start with your tire pressure, lower it to 37, 35, etc. and test drive it. You might experience better steering, but it still isn't fully fixed. Then you might have loose ball joint nuts, or other lose bolts in other parts within in the steering system. Then the steering TSB re-flash might fix it completely as it has for some. If not, then you might need the steering box adjustment, steering box replacement and/or caster adjustment. Unfortunately, most dealers won't even confirm there is a steering issue (the first dealer I brought it to refused to even test drive it), and those who do confirm the steering problem say "it's a Jeep thing" or "it is in spec, nothing I can do".

At least 2 people earlier on this thread said they were pulled over for what looked like drunk driving by the way.

PunknRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The same fix doesn't work for every JL because there are so many variables in the geometry of the steering system. If someone has a sore or bad back, the fix for some is a hot bath, for others it is physical therapy, medication, or worse case, they need surgery. Most try the simpler solutions first before they need to go drastic. So each JL might have a different fix or set of fixes to correct it. First start with your tire pressure, lower it to 37, 35, etc. and test drive it. You might experience better steering, but it still isn't fully fixed. Then you might have loose ball joint nuts, or other lose bolts in other parts within in the steering system. Then the steering TSB re-flash might fix it completely as it has for some. If not, then you might need the steering box adjustment, steering box replacement and/or caster adjustment.
Thank you for the recap. :like:

I did lower my tire pressure from the dealer 45psi to 37psi, and it did help. I checked the ball joints, but they seemed tight (certainly not finger loose as some reported). My VIN does not show as requiring the reflash. So that leaves the steering box which sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't it seems. I'm fortunate that my Jeep isn't a daily driver, so I have been watching this thread waiting for a FCA proven fix. I'm not eager to deal with the service department after reading so many negative dealer experiences in this thread, but I certainly will take it in when there's a repeatable fix.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you for the recap. :like:

I did lower my tire pressure from the dealer 45psi to 37psi, and it did help. I checked the ball joints, but they seemed tight (certainly not finger loose as some reported). My VIN does not show as requiring the reflash. So that leaves the steering box which sometimes fixes it and sometimes doesn't it seems. I'm fortunate that my Jeep isn't a daily driver, so I have been watching this thread waiting for a FCA proven fix. I'm not eager to deal with the service department after reading so many negative dealer experiences in this thread, but I certainly will take it in when there's a repeatable fix.
FYI: Some people had the steering flash/TSB done to their JL even though the VIN didn't show up on the list and it did fix it. And it is a 5 minute procedure.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
At least 2 people earlier on this thread said they were pulled over for what looked like drunk driving by the way.
What did they tell the police ? " My new Jeep doesn't steer " ?

Policeman said: " A likely story ; tell it to the Judge ."

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm still clinging to hope this will get resolved, glad to hear Jeep Informant's update!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
What did they tell the police ? "My new Jeep cannot steep properly" ?

Policeman said: "A likely story ; tell it to the Judge."
I was one of those people and that's more of less how it went. I had to do a breathalyzer, which came back 0, so the cop let me go.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
@Jeepinformant knows more than anyone .
Definitely a step in the right direction having a knowledgeable tech working on the issue. Hopefully he gets to work with engineers more and explain/show the situation. I'd loan my Wrangler to an engineering team but nobody has reached out to me, so I'm just sitting back waiting for a fix for the most part. I've had my Wrangler since early June and only has 2500 miles on it....I've loved every moment of it except the steering and my missing Off-Road Pages.
Sponsored