Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Someone needs to organize a STEERING MEETUP where each member can test each other's steering. The folks who are saying "it's fine" can try on a Jeep from someone who says "it sucks" and compare. Maybe it's all in our minds. Maybe it's all the same. Maybe there's a legit few which have the issue. You need to cross-test before you can properly judge here.
Sponsored

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sport S Unlimited
I had a 15' JK and I never felt as sensitive to road crown as I do in my JL. I pretty much drive on the interstate with my steering wheel turned 10 degrees as you say also. I thought my steering wheel wasn't straight and was going to take it in but when I am on a road that crowns the other way it also happens that way.
I wish I had the issue to the opposite side of crown so I knew it was in fact crown. :)

Have a great weekend!

lightning

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 110 TD5 SW
Does the Jeep Wrangler have a steering damper fitted as standard?

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Someone needs to organize a STEERING MEETUP where each member can test each other's steering. The folks who are saying "it's fine" can try on a Jeep from someone who says "it sucks" and compare. Maybe it's all in our minds. Maybe it's all the same. Maybe there's a legit few which have the issue. You need to cross-test before you can properly judge here.
I am most certain there are folks having issues. Just looking at the quick videos I can see the amount of play.

No issues with mine but kinda interested in seeing the problem in person.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Many of us have gone to the dealerships and drove the same type of JL and it didn’t have any steering issues. But it would be great to also meet up and compare. Anyone in OBX? I am on a road trip and in the OBX area for a few days.

Last edited:

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
Kansas day? Wouldn’t be near Wichita would you?

lightning

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 110 TD5 SW
If the Wrangler has a steering damper, then replacing it with an RTC one may improve it.

I realise that some may see it as not an ideal solution, but if there’s nothing else wrong (as in the O/P brand new vehicle) and the dealer can’t offer a remedy, then it’s worth a try.

I have had one on my Land Rover for about three years and nearly 40,000 miles. Even the dealer said it was better to drive on road than any he’d tried, and the part only cost UK£60.

scotland007

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2016 BMW X5 35D
If the Wrangler has a steering damper, then replacing it with an RTC one may improve it.

I realise that some may see it as not an ideal solution, but if there’s nothing else wrong (as in the O/P brand new vehicle) and the dealer can’t offer a remedy, then it’s worth a try.

I have had one on my Land Rover for about three years and nearly 40,000 miles. Even the dealer said it was better to drive on road than any he’d tried, and the part only cost UK£60.
It looks like for now they only have them for the JK. I would be interested to find out if this is a possible solution.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
MOAB, Columbus Day weeeknd!

Just kidding. I’m trying to get a local meet together in Maryland as I see plenty of JLs around. I’m in touch with one person already and if we do meetup we’ll post results here.

As I mentioned before I did tighten my adjustment screw in the box. Steering feels tighter, but there is play in the wheel, it just feels tighter. For example, those of you that report side to side movement in the wheel where the tires don’t move in relation to steering input...my guess is the steering wheel moved pretty easily. I had the same issue, like 1inch total side to side. I adjust the box and now it’s the same side to side movement before the tires engage, but the steering wheel is tighter in that dead zone.

Makes driving the Jeep more comfortable, but it’s still there. I believe it’s by design due to the steering box engineering versus rack and pinion.

Now the sudden drifting from one lane to the other...not sure what that problem is. I don’t have that issue. My Jeep tracks straight on the highway. I can let go of the wheel on a straightaway for quite a few seconds...more if there is no crown in the road.

Sponsored

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My build date is May 8th. An after market stabilizer is not going to fix the dead spot issue. When you turn the wheel and nothing happens on the output shaft ???

Reading all of these posts just piss me off more and more.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
My build date is May 8th. An after market stabilizer is not going to fix the dead spot issue. When you turn the wheel and nothing happens on the output shaft ???

Reading all of these posts just piss me off more and more.
Thought your steering was better. Are you going to have the dealer replace the box? Better yet is there a way you can inspect the new steering box to see how it works and if there’s play in already.

I adjusted mine last week and I’m pretty happy with the results so far.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Thought your steering was better. Are you going to have the dealer replace the box? Better yet is there a way you can inspect the new steering box to see how it works and if there’s play in already.

I adjusted mine last week and I’m pretty happy with the results so far.
Just watched your videos on YouTube. And yes, we have the same conclusion. I can drive the Jeep with minimal input to the wheel to keep it in the lane, but when my wife and son drive they move the wheel back and forth just like your friend did as he stated it felt loose.

I don’t think it’s as bad as it was when I first got it, but there is a dead zone of about 1/4-1/2 inch now. I’ll measure tomorrow if the weather is good.

Also, since I’ve adjusted mine I want to check for binding. I was told to do that I needed to lift the front end up and turn the wheel end to end with the engine off so the steering system is operating without any hydraulic power.

I wonder if we keep turning that screw will we eliminate all the dead zone.

Or do we just wait for Jeep to figure this out and replace all the steering boxes.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
When I picked up my JL Rubi a few weeks back it was all over the road constantly needing correction at hwy speeds. Air pressures were at 44/45 lbs from factory, dropped them down to the recommended 37 and all issues are gone. Honestly not even feeling like you are in a Jeep with 33s. Actually the PDI department did pretty much nothing to the Jeep before I picked it up, not even a wash which is actually a great thing to happen haha.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
Since I am new to Wranglers, I made a quick video get get opinions on if this is a normal amount of play.

Sponsored